From: John Prokopek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help with keymapping in VIM 5.7
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 17:18:54 -0500

I am looking for someone running vim5.7 on a redhat box who
wouldn't mind trying something for me. I am trying to map the
multiply key on the keypad. I should be able to do this
by
:map <kMultiply> :browse e<CR>

this should open the "file open" dialog

this works on my NT box but not on my rh7.0 box.

If someone could give this a spin and get back to me I'd appreciate it.

--
John D. Prokopek
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Blake)
Subject: Re: arrow keys
Date: 31 Mar 2001 00:11:58 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I know this seems like a simple question but what are
> the ascii values for the up and down arrow keys? I've
> looked at about 50 ascii charts and I can't find any with
> the arrow keys. I want to catch them in a curses program
> using getchar().

Don't use ascii codes.

In curses, use
KEY_DOWN
KEY_UP
KEY_LEFT
KEY_RIGHT

or read the header file yourself :)

--
Dave Blake
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "J. E. Garrott Sr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Making custom boot floppies without a floppy.
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 18:07:14 -0800

Assume I have a laptop computer without a floppy
drive ( I don't, but assume it anyway :).

I want to create a custom boot cdrom.  This
seems to require that I have a floppy drive
to create the (lilo)  boot section for the cd.

Is there software, or a procedure, available
that will allow this without the actual floppy
drive?

Thanks in Advance,

John

------------------------------

From: Robert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how to start programming threads
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 18:16:55 -0800

Hi,

Can someone suggest a starting point for programming applications with
threads in linux? I know basic things about multiple processes and
synchronization in UNIX.

Thank you for your help.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 21:11:36 -0600
From: "Arthur H. Gold" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to start programming threads

Robert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can someone suggest a starting point for programming applications with
> threads in linux? I know basic things about multiple processes and
> synchronization in UNIX.

If the threading you know about is POSIX threads (pthreads)
much of what you know will translate directly. A good
starting point (which may provide enough information all by
itself, depending upon how much background you have) would
be the info pages for libc (type `info libc'), in the
`add-ons' section, POSIX threads.

There a few subtle (well, perhaps not so subtle) differences
between true POSIX-compliant threads and linuxthreads; for
the most part they're explained in the aforementioned info
pages.

Of course, the more or less definitive source is Dave
Butenhof's book, `Programming with POSIX threads' (he's a
frequent contributor to news:comp.programming.threads,
another worthwhile resource).

HTH,
--ag

--
Artie Gold, Austin, TX  (finger the cs.utexas.edu account
for more info)

------------------------------

From: Conrad Mukai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SysV shared memory attach fail in apcupsd
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 21:00:26 -0800

I'm trying to install a program called apcupsd, which monitors APC
UPS's, which are battery backups for computers (I live in California).
Anyway, we have successfully installed this program on several
computers; however, one computer stubbornly refuses to run this program.
The monitoring daemon starts, but when a call to shmat is made it
returns with errno 43 (EIDRM--Identifier removed.) I'm wondering why the
program fails to attach to shared memory on this particular computer,
and runs fine on others. One peculiarity is that the key used to
generate the shared memory pointer and attach to it is not from ftok(),
but is hard coded. Thanks in advance for any help.

* Conrad Mukai          "Consistency is the last resort of *
* [EMAIL PROTECTED]     the unimaginative." - Oscar Wilde *

------------------------------

From: "Alan Po" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: How to create a shared library in Linux?
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 13:07:22 +0800

Dear sir

As I know, there have some shared libraries in the directories /lib. Can I
also create my personal share library so that my code can share to my
application? Please tell me the metod, thanks a lot.

Alan Po

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Chronos Tachyon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to create a shared library in Linux?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.help
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 05:48:53 GMT

On Fri 30 Mar 2001 11:07, Alan Po wrote:

> Dear sir
>
> As I know, there have some shared libraries in the directories /lib. Can I
> also create my personal share library so that my code can share to my
> application? Please tell me the metod, thanks a lot.

[Note: c.o.l.d.system is offtopic, it's more for kernel-level questions.]

I find the phrasing of the question rather disturbing... but the answer is
a very strong "yes".  Basically, it's just a matter of providing the
"-fPIC" option to gcc when compiling your .c files, and using the "-shared"
option when linking your .o files together into a library.  Here's a quick
example:

--- begin foo.c ---
#include <stdio.h>
void hello(void) {
        printf("Hello, World!\n");
}
--- end ---

--- begin bar.c ---
void hello(void);
int main(void) {
        hello();
        return 0;
}
--- end ---

To compile and link the library:
        gcc -O2 -fPIC -o foo.o -c foo.c
        gcc -shared -o libfoo.so foo.o

To compile and link the program:
        gcc -O2 -o bar.o -c bar.c
        gcc -o testprog bar.o -L. -lfoo

--
Chronos Tachyon
Guardian of Eristic Paraphernalia

------------------------------

From: "Robben Mario" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: pthread_cond_wait + select question
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 09:06:24 GMT

Is there an easy way on how to wait for a condition variable + some
filedescriptor is ready for reading/writing. What I need is a function like
"pthread_cond_wait_select".

Is there a function available on how to wait for several condition variables
(e.g. in Win32 you have a function WaitForMultipleObjects).

Thx in advance.

------------------------------

From: "hushui" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how to create a boot disk accoring to the bootsect.S
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 21:34:38 +0800

I have seen the boot disk of bootsect.S does not have a file system . When
load the kernel, the bootcode read the floppy by read each sector of the
disk. Does it??
When we create a boot disk in the install time ,it is a disk with ext2 file
system .
How can I create a raw boot disk ???

------------------------------

From: "Emilien Arino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: pid
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 15:55:33 +0200

thanks

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 08:06:23 -0600
From: Norman Levin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Processor ID

Kasper Dupont wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 ** snipped **
this is much worry about nothing - when you have real things to worry about.
Whether a mac address is read once or with every packet makes no difference.
The fact is, YOU are identifiable.  The thought that CPUID is going to
be more of a tie to U vs your MAC address is rediculous.  All you need
to do is run winipcfg or ifconfig and ship that info down.  Sorry. this
cpuid is just a piece of *(& that lets people get worked up.
Get over it.

--
Norman Levin

------------------------------

From: Juergen Sauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: C-Programming, getchar(), console
Date: 31 Mar 2001 12:58:14 GMT

"Jakub Orbán" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb
am Fri, 30 Mar 2001 14:16:07 GMT in comp.os.linux.development.apps:

> Hi,

> I'm new to linux, but i already c-programming (compiling progs with gcc,
> starting on the console (bash))
> now i have a simple small question:
> wenn i use getchar() in my programm, i have always to press <enter>, in
> order to "get the attention" of the function
> is there a function that reacts on a sigle key-press?
> or: what the solution to this prob?

Simple way the other told to you in this thread.

The clue is the philosophy of an Multi-User-Multitasktin System,
each possible User may have an own Keyboard and Screen, called Terminal.
A Terminal may be connected over multiple ways: Serial/Modem, Network and
Terminalemulators, Terminalservers etc. The classic Terminal are physical
Devices with a serial V.24 connector, a Keyboard and a Text-Monitor.
Very well-known Devices were "VT52", "VT100" by DIGITAL|DEC.
There are also some Software-Only Terminals: Linux Console (Alt-F1, ...)
AIX Console, SunOS Console, X11 XTerm, KDE Console (Konsole).

Each Terminal Device may have it's own configuration and Control Sequences,
depending from manufacturer and capabilities of the specific device.

For correct programming is a unified method needed to control the
Text-Terminals, independend from manufacturer.

There are such methods:
you have to handle the device by yourself with:
        a. ancient termcap Library
        b. terminfo
        c. classic stty control
        d. ncurses (sitting above b. terminfo)
a. - c. are much complicated in som cases and not really portable and
unversial.

The best way is IMHO to use curses|ncurses, which you should already
have on your box. "make menuconfig" in the KernelSource will shows
an curses Menue up.

I'd suggest you go on and learn about ncurses, your Applications will
be able to run on any known terminal, without you have to know them.

mfG
        Jojo

--
Jürgen Sauer - AutomatiX GmbH, +49-4209-4699, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.automatix.de to Mail me: remove: -not-for-spawm-

------------------------------

From: Bernhard Weichart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem with ASM
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 23:01:04 +0200

Ruben Real wrote:
 =

> i would suggest to XOR the eax register to make sure there is no data i=
n it.
> (my knowledge is from msdos, so i don=B4t know if it applies here.
> =

> bye
>      ruben
> =

> comp:   movl    $ch,%eax                # Compare $ch with $ts
>         xor     %eax, %eax              # clear eax
>         cmp     $ts,%eax
>         jne     kio
> =

tnx for coming back.

I'll tested it but without an effect.
Do you have an other idea?

mfg Bernhard

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to the
comp.os.linux.development.apps newsgroup.

End of Linux-Development-Apps Digest