  Re: reading files that other processes make ("Anthony DeRobertis")

From: Nate Eldredge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.security,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Matt Blaze's CFS on Linux - readdir problem.
Date: 07 Jun 2001 15:11:40 -0700

"Binesh Bannerjee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi.
>       First of all, I've been trying to subscribe to the mail list,
> and have as of yet been unsuccessful. Is it still up?
>
>       Now, to the real problem:
>       I hacked at the CFS source, till I got it to work, and it works...
> _basically_... I haven't lost any files, and all the files md5 sum the same,
> but, I noticed that when in large CFS'd directories, command completion and
> shell metacharacter expansion wasn't working, but ls and friends did work
> (I'm running CFS-1.4.1 on Linux 2.4.5 with the out of the box NFS from
> RedHat 6.2) I tracked it down to this:
>       if you read a large CFS directory with readdir it doesn't get
> all of the files, but readdir64 will work... Has anyone else
> had this problem, and if so, how do I go about fixing it?

How large?  There's a reason readdir64 exists, you know.

--

Nate Eldredge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Nate Eldredge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: launching a C program from a startup script
Date: 07 Jun 2001 15:13:12 -0700

tony <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I wrote a small C program to extract caller id from my modem upon phone
> calls. Once excuted cid (my caller ID program) will run continuously in the
> background. I am going to start it on boot using the rc.local startup
> script. My question is how do I code the line that launchs cid from
> rc.local.
>
> I am trying this line in rc.local =>
>  [ -x /usr/sbin/cid ] &&  exec /usr/sbin/cid &
>
> This is the last line in rc.local.
>
> If if just use /usr/sbin/cid  (without the exec) my theory is that the
> script rc.local will never finish since it will be waiting on my C program
> cid to return which it never will since it runs continueosly waiting for
> phone calls. So instead I pre-pend exec to  cid so rc.local is replaced in
> the process place by cid allowing rc.local to terminate when finished. Or
> would just using & afer cid (/usr/sbin/cid & ) suffice?
>
> Am I correct in my assumptions and proposed solutions. Any suggestions on a
> better way of dealing with this?

man 3 daemon

--

Nate Eldredge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Nate Eldredge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: at & daemons
Date: 07 Jun 2001 15:15:08 -0700

"Millo Meneghini" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Does anybody knows if exists a C function that recalls "at" and possibly
> returns the job number, or something like that?

No, no C function.  You'll have to run `at' yourself.  The `system'
and `popen' functions may be helpful.

--

Nate Eldredge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Binesh Bannerjee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.security,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: 7 Jun 2001 22:32:37 GMT

In comp.os.linux.security Nate Eldredge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: "Binesh Bannerjee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
:> (I'm running CFS-1.4.1 on Linux 2.4.5 with the out of the box NFS from
:> RedHat 6.2) I tracked it down to this:
:>      if you read a large CFS directory with readdir it doesn't get
:> all of the files, but readdir64 will work... Has anyone else
:> had this problem, and if so, how do I go about fixing it?

: How large?  There's a reason readdir64 exists, you know.

I'm sure, tho I'm not clear on what it's for... (No man pages for it
at least on my box... From the question, it would seem that you imply
that the 64 bitness of readdir is meant to address directories greater
than 2 (4?) GB in length. No, the directory is nowhere _near_ that huge...
I have only at _most_ a hundred or so entries... Even if it's for
filesize, I don't have anything that is greater than 2GB (not even close)

What is the rational for readdir64? Only other thing I can think of is for
inode sizes... It probably is, since I see __ino64_t defined in various
places of /usr/include/bits...

Anyway, I think this whole bit is a red herring, tho, because, readdir64
returns me a certain subset, and readdir returns me a different subset,
_neither_ of which, apparently gives me the complete directory listing,
and I'm at a loss as to how to figure out where the problem is...

I've recompiled cfs with -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 and I still have the
same problem...

In reading the docs for CFS, I get the feeling, that it wasn't meant
to do the things that I want it for... I want to encrypt my entire
home directory (The _whole_ directory is about 1.5GB total distributed
over about 2027 directories, 542 links and 26636 files...

I don't think any of what I have would bump into any 32 bit limits...

If it wasn't for the fact that it's crypto, and my experience with it is
limited, I'd tear into the code, -Wall -Werror everything, and attempt
to figure it out...

Here are some other things I've done:
        I cattach -l 'd the directory, so it wouldn't create it's
.pvector_<encrypted_file> -> IV links, and, then I get another interesting
problem... Which is, that then, after I put _some_ files on there, it
makes the directory look invisible (???)... All the files and directories
are _there_, and I can cd to them, if I know what I'm looking for, but
ls doesn't show it... (the real one, and one made with readdir and readdir64)

*shrug*

It's important enough to me, that I _am_ tearing into the code anyway,
I am just hoping someone has already been through this, or maybe that
there's something stupid that I'm doing that will solve my problem...

Thanks...
Binesh Bannerjee

: --

: Nate Eldredge
: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Larry Ebbitt)
Subject: Re: Current alternatives to StarOffice?
Date: 7 Jun 2001 22:47:01 GMT

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 14:05:14 GMT, Norm Dresner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Larry Ebbitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >
>> > Also, there once was a Linux-compatible office suite whose name
>> > started with an A - I'm mind-cramping on it right now.
>> >

>> Applixware.  I use it and I'm pretty happy with it.
>>
>> --
>
>     How about a URL;  it's obviously not
>             http://www.applix.com/flash.asp

All I can think of is www.smartbeak.com, which is a support page.
I'm sure it will get where you need to go.

--
Larry Ebbitt - Linux + OS/2 - Atlanta

------------------------------

From: Mayan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 00:51:28 -0500

bgeer wrote:

> What are the current alternatives to StarOffice, alternatives which
> can open Word, Excel, & PowerPoint docs.
>
> Just curious...
>
> Also, there once was a Linux-compatible office suite whose name
> started with an A - I'm mind-cramping on it right now.
>
> Obliged, Bob
>
> --
> <> Robert Geer & Donna Tomky |    ||||      We sure       ||||    <>
> <>    [EMAIL PROTECTED]     |  ==    ==    find it     ==    ==  <>
> <>    [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |  ==    ==   enchanting   ==    ==  <>
> <>   Albuquerque, NM  USA    |    ||||       here!        ||||    <>

I am sure Aplixware is very good, but it is a comercial app. OpenWord
from debian is the one I would sugest if you are looking for free
software.

------------------------------

From: Mayan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help with lpr + apsfilter
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 00:52:02 -0500

I have recently installed lpr and apsfilter, but none of the word
processors are able to print.
NEdit for instance gives me the following error:
"lpr: cannot access printcap"

Can someone help trouble shoot this problem? I am new to UN*X.

I am using Debian 2.2 on a Intel machine.

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=C1ngel=20Su=E1rez?= Rivero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: tabstops
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 23:31:00 +0100

Hi!
And how will be the colors?
Regards

--
Algún día aprenderé Bash
| @NGEL   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   potato 2.y pico |

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=C1ngel=20Su=E1rez?= Rivero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cooledit installation
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 23:51:37 +0100

Sam Rosenfeld wrote:

> I have tried to install cooledit 3.17.4 but it will not compile.  Error
> reads
> something like " cannot find libCw.so.1".  Well, neither can
> I--anywhere.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> sam

Is evident, install libcw_xxx.xxx.rpm ...deb ...anything.
In my system is one symbolic link to: libCw.so.1.0.0

/usr/X11R6/lib/libCw.so.1 -> libCw.so.1.0.0

Regards.

From: Uwe Bosse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: which library for GUI is best?
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 01:19:15 +0200

I want to write applications with a GUI for Linux system.
There seem to be many C or C++ libraries that provide an access to the
X-Server
and functions to open Windows with Scrollbars to present lists and
buttons and all that
stuff.

I found, for example, the Gimp Toolkit Gtk. (and its C++-Wrapper gtk--)
Is it worth to spend a lot of time to learn how to use it?
Or is there something better? (Something better could be a library, to
which there exists a
good tutorial)

Thanks in advance, Uwe.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jan Schaumann)
Subject: Re: which library for GUI is best?
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 00:55:44 -0000

* Uwe Bosse wrote:
>  I want to write applications with a GUI for Linux system.

In addition to GTK+ (or GTK--), check out Qt, Swing (Java) , WxWindows,
Tcl/Tk, and the various bindings for python and perl.

It all depends on what kind of application you want to write and what
language you want to use (which, again, depends on what kind of
application you want to write).

-Jan

--
Jan Schaumann <http://www.netmeister.org>

The two most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen
and stupidity.  -- Albert Einstein

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 02:08:15 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Chris Cox wrote:

>Applixware

I've tried StarOffice, WordPerfect, and Applixware.  Applixware
is definitely my pick.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  It's the land of
                                  at               DONNY AND MARIE as promised

------------------------------

From: "Binesh Bannerjee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.security,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: 8 Jun 2001 05:07:55 GMT

In comp.os.linux.security Binesh Bannerjee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: [ All this stuff about CFS 1.4.1 which can be found at
:   http://www.crypto.com/software/cfs-1.4.1.tar.gz ]

: It's important enough to me, that I _am_ tearing into the code anyway,
: I am just hoping someone has already been through this, or maybe that
: there's something stupid that I'm doing that will solve my problem...

Now, I've been ripping through the source, I've put -Wall -Werror
(actually, I just cut and pasted _all_ the warnings from gcc), and I'm
going through... Eventually, I'll post the result here, so others
can point out all the places where I screwed up... Anyhow,

Here's my question, hopefully, someone can answer...

If you download the source, and look in esm.c, line 193
it calls cipherinit()... That's great, but the definition of
cipherinit() is actually cipherinit(int master) and it does
something different based on that variable... Which one do we
think Matt meant to do? The definition is in esm_cipher.c line 54
You can grep through the source, to see if there's any other
definition of cipherinit, there doesn't seem to be...

*sigh*... This particular piece isn't that important to
me, since it's just esm, not the cfs encryption, but...

Binesh

: : --

: : Nate Eldredge
: : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: FIFO
Date: 08 Jun 2001 06:48:33 GMT

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 16:08:00 +0200, Jan Pietrusky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello
>I will use a FIFO at my project. For at test, I wrote a small program to
>create and write in a fifo and another to read from that. It runs. The
>same code was written to my project, but the programm cannot open the
>fifo and hang it up. I analyzed the problem and found the following
>thing. The permission looks like different, the first one show

Remember that the read side should open first.  It will then be suspended
in the open until the writer side opens the FIFO.  Unless, of course, you
open in non-blocking mode.

Villy

------------------------------

From: Jan Pietrusky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 09:10:16 +0200

Hi, I'm again,
I know, it looks crazy. I try to explain, what I mean.
Two programms should communicate with a fifo. For a test I used the
example from www.linuxprogramming.de. The files include the following
lines

fifo_make.c
{
..
   if ( mkfifo( "my_fifo", 0666 )
..
}

for writing to the fifo these

fifo_write.c
{
  FILE *fifo_stream;
  char data;
  if ( (fifo_stream = fopen("my_fifo", "w")) == NULL)
..
  fputc( data, fifo_stream );
  if ( fclose( fifo_stream ) == EOF)
..
}

The program in one directory create a fifo that looks like a file
 rw-r--r--              my_fifo

it runs, I create the Fifo file, and write a string in them. After that,
I run the fifo_read from the same or another shell and I will see the
content.

in another directory it is
prw-r--r--              my_fifo|
This should be a fifo. The same one can I create with mknod my_fifo p.
But in this directory, I cannot open the fifo and the program will be
hang up.

Jan

| Dipl.-Ing.(FH) Jan Pietrusky             | Tel: +49 (0) 3677 678331 |
| Institut fuer Mikroelektronik- und       | FAX: +49 (0) 3677 678338 |
| Mechatronik-Systeme                      |                          |
| Langewiesener Strasse 22, 98693 Ilmenau  |                          |
| MAIL/WWW: [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.imms.de/                |

------------------------------

From: Denis Perchine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [ANN] Static error analyser Wasp
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 15:02:20 +0700

SUBJECT

     The static error analyser Wasp 3.0 is released for Linux.

URL

      http://www.waspsoft.com/

WHAT IS NEW IN Wasp 3.0

  -  This is the first Wasp version for Linux.
     Previous Wasp versions were released for Windows 95/NT, OS/2,
     and SunSparc for Java and Modula-2 programs.

  -  Wasp 3.0 for Java is an order of magnitude faster
     than previous Wasp version 2.11.
     Memory consumption reduced by a factor of 5.

  -  User interface simplified.
     Wasp manual considerably extended and modified.

  -  Wasp strategy for big programs developed.

  -  Wasp now can use memory above 930Mb limit (or brk limit)

  -  Support for files more than 2Gb added for kernels which support
     LFS interface (2.3.x, 2.4.x, 2.2.x with LFS patches, SuSE,
     RedHat Enterprise Edition).

WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT

     Wasp 3.0 for Windows 98/NT/2000 will be released shortly.

DESCRIPTION

  The static error checker Wasp employs powerful data flow analysis
to detect subtle run-time errors and weak points in Java, Modula-2,
and Oberon-2 programs.

  Some types of erroneous situations that Wasp is able to detect
in Java programs are listed below:
   -  usage of an uninitialised variable
   -  null pointer exception
   -  assignment of a variable whose value is never used
   -  impermissible cast of variable value of reference type
   -  unreachable branches in the if and switch statements and
        in conditional expressions
   -  unreachable catch clauses
   -  method has no normal completion
   -  array index is out of bounds
   -  overflow (underflow) in arithmetic operators
   -  division by zero
   -  for or while statement repeats zero times
   -  etc.

   For more information, please visit Wasp Home Page at:

         http://www.waspsoft.com/

   Lite version of Wasp 3.0 may be downloaded.

   Wasp team
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   AcademSoft
   Novosibirsk, Russia

------------------------------

From: "Nils O. Selåsdal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 09:51:09 +0200

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

I'd go for Qt , www.troll.no, used by e.g. the KDE desktop and Opera.

------------------------------

From: "Anthony DeRobertis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: inexplicable error
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 04:47:13 -0400

In article <9ff16q$qar$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Will"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At the line HERE IS PROBLEM, if I put any code there at all, My program
> seg faults when it runs!!!

I don't know what the rest of your program is, but it sounds suspiciously
like a compiler optimizer bug. Does it happen with -O0? With a different
version of the compiler? With a different compiler?

> BUT, the strange thing is that it seg faults upon running the opendir
> function not on any of the lines after it!!

Are you sure --- did you watch in gdb on optimized code? If so, it
probably lied to you. Try compiling with -g -O0 and then gdb-ing it. See
where it dies.

> Can anyone please help, I nearly don't have any hair left!!!

Not with that small a source segment.

------------------------------

From: "Anthony DeRobertis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: reading files that other processes make
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 04:52:45 -0400

In article <9fcaor$3c3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Jaguk Ku" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> so, i want to read a file after it is written and closed.
>
> is there any good way for that?

man 2 flock
man 2 fcntl
man 2 signal            [ i.e., notify daemon. may not be possible ]

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to the
comp.os.linux.development.apps newsgroup.

End of Linux-Development-Apps Digest