  Re: S3 ViRGE + KDE (Paul Mackinlay)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (steve mcadams)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: disheartened gnome developer
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 03:21:49 GMT

[Snipped for brevity, quoted material marked with ">"]
On Mon, 11 Jan 1999 19:09:10 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Ok.  I don't know anything about Norwegian bankruptcy law, but here is a
>scenario for US law:
>
>Troll Tech files a bankruptcy petition.  When the creditors review the
>documents, they discover the release agreement and are appalled: it gives
>away the companies only real asset.  They (or the administrator) ask the
>judge to issue a temporary injunction forbidding the release of the code
>and he agrees.  You get a letter telling you that you will be found in
>contempt of court if you distribute Qt.  You can hire a lawyer (about
>$150/hour for Federal bankruptcy court) to try to get the injunction
>removed, but it would probably be pointless: you cannot demonstrate that it
>is harming you.  The bankruptcy drags on for months or years, and
>eventually the creditors propose that the injunction be made permanent.
>You receive another letter, this one informing you that the injunction will
>be made permanent unless your attorney can convince the judge otherwise.  I
>think that there is a fairly good chance he could do so (at $150/hour, of
>course).  However, if three or four years have gone by, you may not care
>any more.
>
>Other scenarios would involve shareholder lawsuits (common in business
>failures), suits by holders of proprietary Qt licenses who feel that a
>BSD'd Qt would "unfairly" compete with them, etc.

Now, consider the same bankruptcy scenario.  Assume that from day-1
the code has been simultaneously GPL and proprietary, identical
codebase.  Does this change anything?  If not , what could be put into
the license that would solve the problem?  -steve
Tools for programmers: http://www.codetools.com/showcase

------------------------------

From: JiSook Kim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to get disk I/O rate?
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 18:43:29 +0900

Hi!

I'm writing a program that monitors disk I/O rate(bps) per disk.

The system has three hard disks(/dev/hda1, /dev/sda1, /dev/sdb1).
How to get disk I/O rate per disk ?

and

What does each entry in /proc/stat file mean?
Do i get disk I/O using /proc/stat
i can get disk i/o get
Can I get disk I/O using /proc/stat?
Well then...
How to get disk I/O using /proc/stat?

thanks...

------------------------------

From: Frank Sweetser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.x
Date: 11 Jan 1999 22:23:49 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher B. Browne) writes:

> On Mon, 11 Jan 1999 17:13:58 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> posted:
> >>    You'll have to be more specific.
> >>
> >>    All I've found so far in the Redhat control-panel are like thus:
> >>
> >> Red Hat Linux netcfg 2.18
> >> Copyright (C) 1996, 1997 Red Hat Software
> >> Redistributable under the terms of the GNU General Public License
> >
> >Gee, so the control panel is owned by Red Hat, and they could rerelease them
> >tomorrow under a proprietary license. Just like I said they could (and said
> >they wont do it) when you called me a liar.
> >
> >I suppose you wont apologize, of course.
>
> You miss the consideration that the third line of that comment shows
> a *really big stick* that strongly discourages Red Hat Software from
> doing a proprietary release.
>
> Were RHS to do so, there would be a *dramatic* reaction within hours.

perfect case in point: the recent X licensing fiasco.  TOG announced that
the next version of X they released would be under a much more commercial
friendly, and much less open source, license.  within days, hundreds of
developers, led primarily by the XFree86 people, and with vocal support
from such free software leaders, were ready to fork off from X11R6.3, and
leave TOG in the dust.  realizing they were about to slit their throat, TOG
backed off and canceled the license change.

--
Frank Sweetser rasmusin at wpi.edu fsweetser at blee.net  | PGP key available
paramount.ind.wpi.edu RedHat 5.2 kernel 2.2.0pre5ac1 i586 | at public servers

------------------------------

From: Frank Sweetser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.x
Date: 11 Jan 1999 22:33:53 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (steve mcadams) writes:

> [Snipped for brevity, quoted material marked with ">"]
> On Mon, 11 Jan 1999 15:58:41 GMT, Marco Anglesio
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >It would be nice, but any company buying your
> >code will still sign a support contract because they can't see the future.
>
> This my friend, is a rather eye-opening observation to thrust at
> someone as naive as myself.  And here I thought one of the main
> benefits of open-source (which I equate with GPL, I better look some
> "open-source" references and see how -that- is defined) was that you
> could fix the code yourself.  Well, hell, I was out of college and

or, you can hire a third party who, since they have full legall access to
the source code, can make as many changes to the source code as the
original authors.  with closed source, only the legal owners of the code
can make those changes, and you're stuck with them for support.

From: Paul Mackinlay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.2 and Cyrix processors
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 11:06:03 +0000

Dale Pontius wrote:

> I've seen indications of problems with Kernel 2.2 running on Cyrix
> processors. One post even had someone trying to compile 2.2 for
> 386, (not 486,++) and still being unable to get the thing to run.
> I've read other things about some Cyrix stuff 'being left behind'.
>
> So what's the scoop on Kernel 2.2 and Cyrix? Does it really work,
> and the one report just local problems? Were Cyrix fixes dropped
> somewhere, and have they been picked back up?
>
> Or, since I have an OLD stepping of a Cyrix CPU, am I outta luck
> for 2.2 until I upgrade my mobo later this year? I'd rather have
> some outlook before going through the lengthy download and rather
> not lose hair if this is doomed to failure.
>
> Dale Pontius
> (NOT speaking for IBM)

Thanks for the warning I was actually going to install Kernel 2.2 on my
machine at home tonight. My CPU is a cyrix 120+. But I'll have to look
in to it a bit further as I can't afford to have my computer in a state
of limbo at the moment!

Paul

--
http://lark.ae.ic.ac.uk/~cmacki/PhD/

C.P. Mackinlay,                 |    E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dept. of Aeronautics,           |    Tel: 0171 594 5110 (int. 45110)
Imperial College,               |
Prince Consort Road,            |
London SW7 2BZ                  |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jens Kristian Søgaard)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.x
Date: 11 Jan 1999 18:35:47 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Perry Pip) writes:

> can be. It's a common focal point to bind higher level languages to. Take
> a look at
> Eleven different languages. This will be big plus for Gnome when these
> bindings are more developed.

KDE too has perl, python, c, etc. bindings.

--
Jens Kristian Søgaard,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Derek Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Yamaha PCI YMF724
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 12:00:02 -0500

I have redhat 5.2 on my machine and was wondering if anyone knew how to
configure, or rebuild the kernal to support a Yamaha PCI YMF724 chipset
card.

From: Martin Recktenwald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lock_kernel in 2.2.0pre4
Date: 11 Jan 1999 17:34:11 +0100

Andi Kleen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Most of 2.2 still runs inside the giant lock. There are still
> big SMP improvements over 2.0: the scheduler and the interrupt/bottom half
> system are fine grained locked, interrupts may be processed on another
> CPU if the current CPU is busy in the kernel (and it'll even be forwarded
> to this CPU if it is a hardware interrupt).

Does this mean that the same interrupt could be serviced by two
different CPUs at the same time (when the first CPU is not yet
finished with it´s interrupt handler while the same interrupt happens
again)?

> Bottom halves only still run
> one at a time though, because that is a fundamental property of them ("
> bhs are atomic to themselves")

One at a time in the sense "one bottomhalf will never be executed by
more than one CPU at the same moment" or in the sense of "there is
always only one bottomhalf active, not even two different bottom
halves on two different CPU´s"?

To summarize the critical situation I think I know about (scenario:
driver which registered one interrupt and uses several bottom halves):

(- interrupt could be running on more than one CPU at once?)
- bottom half could be interrupted by an interrupt
(- bottom half could be running on more than one CPU at once?)
- syscalls could be interrupted by interrupts
- syscalls could be interrupted by bottom halves
- syscalls could be running on more than one CPU at once

Anything I forgot?

   Martin.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Samuelson)
Subject: Re: COFF Magic Numbers?
Date: 11 Jan 1999 22:00:41 -0600

[Mitch Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
> Sure hope this is the right group:

For Linux development questions.  Linux does not use COFF but you're
probably close enough.  Maybe comp.unix.programmer would have been
right.

> After some investigating, I've decided to use COFF as an executable
> file format, so I don't have to hack LD too much.

GNU ld (or, more precisely, libbfd, the binary file descriptor library
on which it is based) supports variants of a.out, coff, xcoff, elf and
others.

> I've found documentation for the COFF file format on the web, at least
> enough to work with, except for one piece: the magic numbers.

> The page I found just said that the magic number defined what
> architecture the COFF file is for, but didn't define any values.

I suppose you could check the file(1) utility under Unix or Linux.  The
file /etc/magic or /usr/share/misc/magic gives magic numbers for any
number of file formats, including (in the version distributed with
Debian Linux, at least) pretty much all known executable file format
magic numbers on any Unix dating back to before the French Revolution.
The format of the magic file is not hard to read; read the manual page
for details.  My magic file greps in at 49 lines with "COFF" in them.

--
Peter Samuelson
<sampo.creighton.edu!psamuels>

------------------------------

From: Brett Hallas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Base and Extended OS services
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 22:18:02 +1100

G'day All,
I've been assigned to write a short paper(600-800 words) on
"...detailing the manner in which the OS  you have chosen(UNIX with
Apache) deals with the following:
Base Services:
   Task pre-emption
   Task priority
   Semaphores
   Interprocess Communication
   local/remote interprocess communications
   threads
   intertask protection
   Multiuser high-performance file system
   efficient memory management
   Dynamically linked run-time extensions
Extended Services:
   Ubiquitous Communications
   Network Operating System Extensions
   Binary Large Objects(BLOBS)
   Global directory and network yellow pages
   Authentication and authorization services
   System management
   network time(synchronisation)
   database and transaction services
   internet services
   object oriented service
Server scalability

Any assistance with this info, and where to find it,would be much
appreciated.

Cheers,
Brett
(Monash University, Churchill, Australia)

------------------------------

From: mvrao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: CDROM under DOSEMU
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 18:15:34 +0000

Dr A O V Le Blanc wrote:

> mvrao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >Well, I am getting errors using lredir.
>
> >lredir d:  linux\fs/mnt/cdrom  and  lredir d:  /mnt/cdrom  both give
> >errors 'while redirecting'.
>
> >d: is not mapped under dosemu
>
> Have you installed a microsoft system instead of the default
> freedos one?  The documentation that comes with dosemu
> warns that the lredir command does not work with the default
> system.
>
>      -- Owen
>      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Well, I have both freedos and dosemu installed. I suppose xdos always
starts up ms-dos. I tried the commands xdos and 'dos' from the linux
command line.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mumit Khan)
Subject: Re: 2.2.0pre6 booting errors
Date: 12 Jan 1999 04:30:37 GMT

In article <77e0qs$sn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Nathan Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Strange, I installed vanilla 5.2 on my brother's Libretto (P75/16M)
>and then 2.2.0-pre6, and everything (except parport modules) worked.
>With static parport everything worked.  Is the only difference the
>compiler?  I built the kernel, modules, and pcmcia stuff with
>Egcs-1.1.1.

Why me??? The problem started when I installed an updated RPM for
modutils, and then it just went downhill from there. Now my machine
is a mess, and currently running Solaris until I can figure out
a clean way to do this. I did have 2.0.36-3 running well in SMP
except for one *very* annoying thing -- no matter what I tried
(everything from RTC, xntpd, running ntpdate and rdate via cron,
etc) the time drift was simply too far out to be usable. This is
supposedly known problem with 2.0.x series, so I was hoping 2.2.0
will fix it.

Can you load modules using insmod w/out any trouble? If so, I'm
going to start from scratch yet again and try that.

Regards,
Mumit

------------------------------

From: Greg Boehnlein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IPMasquerading / SSH
Date: 11 Jan 1999 18:29:21 GMT

Hello all,
        I've got this particularly annoying problem when SSHing out
through my 2.0.36 box w/ IP Masquerading. If I'm sitting behind the box
and connecting to an outside server, the SSH connection eventually goes
away. This only happens when I am idle for a period of time.
        I'm running SSH 1.2.26-1us from ftp.replay.com.

Any suggestions? It's a minor annoyance right now, but enough to piss me
off every couple of hours.

--
      President of New Age Consulting Service, Inc.  Cleveland Ohio
           http://www.nacs.net   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   (216)-619-2000

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.2.0-pre6
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:32:09 +0000

Peter Mardahl wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Frank Hale  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >mlw wrote:
> >>
> >> I have Redhat 5.2 and it said it was "2.2 ready," so I tried it. It just
> >> worked. Perhaps I should do a bit more research.
> >
> >You mean you downloaded 2.2.0pre6 kernel and installed it and you booted
> >fine? No problems? Really? I had to do a total reinstall of everything
> >cause it got all messed up? People told me I needed to upgrade ksyslog,
> >modutils, etc....... But that just made it worse. It worked better when
> >I used the stock ones that were installed with RedHat 5.2.
> >
> >If anyone has anymore info on installing the 2.2.0 pre6 kernel on RH 5.2
> >let me know. I would like to put it on but I have wastes about 4 days on
> >the new 2.2.0pre kernel with absolutely no luck at all. All I got out of
> >it was having to reinstall everything from scratch.
>
> To add a little motivation to this,
> it'll help get more testers if someone spells out how to
> set up a 5.2 system to run 2.2 pre 6.
>
> I'd help test too if I knew clearly what other software to set up so
> that 2.2 would work with 5.2, and there isn't too much black
> magic involved....
>
> PeterM

I configured a modular kernel typed:

make dep; make clean; make zImage; make modules
make modules_install
make install

added vmlinuz-2.2.0-pre6 to lilo.conf

rebooted, worked fine.

RedHat has the latest modutils. Seriously, it just worked.

If you want, e-mail me and I'll send you my kernel configuration file.

--
Mohawk Software
Windows 95, Windows NT, UNIX, Linux. Applications, drivers, support.

------------------------------

From: Paul Mackinlay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: S3 ViRGE + KDE
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 11:01:38 +0000

Tristan Wibberley wrote:

> Paul Mackinlay wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone experienced problems with an S3 ViRGE video card when using
> > KDE? On my computer it seems to have a problem with certain applications
> > (in particular emacs). All the font formatting is wrong and any
> > documents you load in emacs become illegible if you try and modify them.
> >
> > If anyone knows of S3 ViRGE driver problems or knows where to get
> > information about it please tell me. Thanks.
>
> There's a KDE interface for emacs? Cool!
>
> Anyway, KDE doesn't care what your hardware is, your X window system
> server does. For the S3Virge, use the SVGA server.
>
> --
> Tristan Wibberley               Linux is a registered trademark
>                                 of Linus Torvalds.

I have got is sorted out. Bian Wheeler's response is absolutely correct.
emacs is now working fine but for it to do so you have to take the "apply
styles to non KDE applications" off and execute "xrdb ~/.Xdefaults".

 I tried using the SVGA server and (becasue this is posted everywhere) I
didn't bother changing my run level from 5 to 3.... guess what happened? The
driver didn't work and I had to recover the system with a rescue disk! I
think that the resolution was too high.
Anyway I am back to using the S3 server which still presents small problems
but they disappear when I load GIMP!?! When I have more time I'll look into
this problem in more depth!

Paul