  Re: virtualizing i386-linux (M Sweger)

From: George MacDonald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Registry for Linux - Bad idea
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 07:11:06 GMT

Leslie Mikesell wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> - $HOME/etc/ seems to me to be most sensible, as it agrees with the use
> >>of /etc/ for "global" configuration.
> >
> >I like that also.
> >
> >One thing that concerns me a bit about this discussion: it sounds as if you
> >intend to handle system and application configuration with the same tools.
> >
> >Please don't.
>
> Why not?  Do you want the system administrator to have to learn 2 new
> and different ways of doing things instead of just one?  I was hoping
> this would be a way that would encompass both.

Developers, End Users, System Administrators all view the configuration
issue from different perspectives. If he is raising an issue from
a perspective other that the ones I'm used to(mostly developer, sometimes
administrator), then I think it important that we listen and understand.

I am concerned that we improve things for all participants, and not
improve one group at the expense of another. In particular I don't
want to force users/admin's/developers to change, I would prefer
to offer them something that they will want. Of course this is
easier said than done.

--
We stand on the shoulders of those giants who coded before.
Build a good layer, stand strong, and prepare for the next wave.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Registry - Already easily doable, in part.
Date: 14 Jan 1999 01:11:52 -0600

In article <77hc03$112$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Todd Knarr  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>This applies to some of the other suggestions being bandied about here
>as well. For example, if a consultant comes in he probably wants things
>like DNS, routing and mailservers configured from the local network's
>configuration but he does _not_ want his word processor to suddenly
>acquire the company's standard configuration in the process.

Really?  If he is using his word processor on the network you don't
think he would like it to automatically know about the nearest
printer?

  Les Mikesell
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James Murray)
Subject: Re: lp0 on fire in 2.1.131
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 20:23:05 GMT

In article <77e3vp$8fjg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill
davidsen) writes:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Peter Pointner  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>| I'd guess the printer was connected to lp1. lp0 is on io port 0x3bc, I think
>| that was the one on the ancient graphic cards. In any case you can check with
>| cat /proc/ioports and man lp.
>
>parport doesn't work that way. The first printer is lp0, like the first
>IDE disk is hda. The io/irq set is no longer mapped to name, although
>you can force it when you load the module.
>
>BTW: with 2.2.0pre6 when I loaded the driver it told me the printer was
>online, ready and out of paper. Next stuff, since it was connected to
>another system at the time ;-)

Has the monolithic lp0 driver been totally replaced with a module now?
If not, why not just use the original driver if the parport module gives you
a problem. I don't recall having any problems with lp from 0.99pl14 to 2.0.30.
I have had the 'lp0 on fire' message when an ancient dot matrix printer was
connected but off, all I did was laugh. At least its not as bad as 'fucking
Sun blows me'

jsm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Dilger)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: things I'd pay to have developed for Linux...
Date: 13 Jan 1999 23:51:10 GMT

In article <9tXm2.920$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Phil Howard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>A hack I've used is to create a symlink called "MOUNT" in the root
>directory of each partition.  My "smart mounter" goes through all the
>partitions, first mounting read/only to take a peek at "MOUNT" and
>then mounts the partition as specified.  Thus if the partitions get
>moved around due to SCSI ID to device name relationship shifting, it
>won't affect what data shows up where.

Actually, a feature of ext2 filesystems is that they retain the last
mount point in the header of the filesystem.  In fact, you can
pre-set the last mount point on a new filesystem (mke2fs -M <mount point>)
in case you use this data to mount filesystems automatically.  I
believe it is relatively easy to extract the last mount point
information from the header, so you could skip the whole
"mount/check/unmount/mount" cycle just by looking at this.  Check
out the docs shipped with the ext2 library for more info.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger   University of Calgary  \"If a man ate a pound of pasta and
                 Micronet Research Group \ a pound of antipasto, would they

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: 14 Jan 1999 00:10:43 GMT

In article <77j7g5$1gbj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Leslie Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| I'd like to see a filesystem that let your logical mount point be a read/write
| overlay of a read-only mount, possibly NFS or CDROM.  It would be nice if
| the overlay had some caching and the ability to sync to a writable disk
| and come back in the same state again but it would be useful even without
| it.  You could then use the same system image for many machines (either
| shared or copied) and still make the minor changes that give each machine
| its identity without any other special provisions.  Has this been done
| for Linux?  Does Coda do anything like this?

There's a utility used in the X11 package which creates a shadow tree of
a filesystem, with slinks to to each thing in the original. When you
want to modify a file you copy the original and change that. I also seem
to remember seeing something like this in an issue of _SysAdmin_ which
combined this with something like RCS. A database based filesystem or
some such.

I'd like that, too, for shared filesystems, CDs, etc. I even *think* I
see how to do it, sometime this winter I may look at foing it.

--
  bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc
"Too soon we grow old, and too late we grow smart" -Arthur Godfrey

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Greg Johnson)
Subject: Shared memory between PCI device and application.
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 23:54:19 GMT

Hi,

I am writting a device driver for a PCI card that my company is
developing. I need to create, on demand, an area of locked down memory
that is accessable by both an application program and the PCI device.
The area need not be contiguous in physical memory, so using
get_free_page several time would suffice. The PCI device can handle
non-contiguous physical memory regions so this is not a problem
either. The problem is, how the hell do I do this in Linux. I have
been using the orielly book 'Linux Device Drivers' by Alessandro
Rubini, he explains many scenarios for memory mapping, by my
requirements don't seem to fit any explained in the book.

If anyone knows how to accomplish this, or knows of some other good
resource for this kind of stuff please let me known.

Thanks in advance.

Greg.

|               --== Greg Johnson ==--               |
| HW/SW Engineer      [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
| Canon   Information  Systems   Research  Australia |
| 1 Thomas Holt Dr, North Ryde, NSW, 2113, Australia |
| "I FLEXed my BISON and it went YACC!" - me.        |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Why no core file?
Date: 14 Jan 1999 00:04:28 GMT

In article <77itsv$dnp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        BL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> on my system (redhat 4.2, kernel 2.0.36) ulimit is NOT IMPLEMENTED.

It works as described by the other poster on Caldera Openlinux
1.3 (kernel 2.0.35) in spite of the fact that "man ulimit" says
it is unimplemented.  I think the man page is wrong.

If you look in the bash man page for "ulimit" or type "help
ulimit" at a bash prompt you will find a full description.  It is
a bash builtin.

On csh, use "limit" rather than "ulimit".

--
 16:45:00 up 43 days, 44 min,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

------------------------------

From: Ross Vandegrift <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: /dev/dsp and /dev/audio in OSS sound engine
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 15:44:20 -0500

> how does the OSS module handle the /dev/dsp and /dev/audio devices ?

Like normal charecter devices.

> if i try to write into the device, following error occurs :
> bash: /dev/dsp: Operation not supported by device

Did you open() it first?  You have to call open() on it before writing
data.  Then, did you set it up to recieve the proper data format with
ioctl()?  (Though, that should just give you noise)

--
Ross Vandegrift | Eric J. Fenderson

alt.binaries.punk: for those of us too
        punk to pay money for the music.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Horst von Brand)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Why I'm dumping Linux, going back to Windblows
Date: 14 Jan 1999 09:20:13 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Alex wrote:

[...]

>I will admit, it would be nice if there was some list or
>site of individuals or businesses
>that can consult very small companies over the phone. I happened to find an
>individual that was very
>helpful, but I've been needing help with creating a couple of macros to work
>with my Applixware, but the
>only company I know of that does that is lousy in returning email. I've been
>waiting now about 4 days for
>a response.

Ask around here, you'll probably be better served. Maybe you can work
something out with some of the people around here: You ask, get an answer
back, put a check in the mail.
--
Horst von Brand                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Casilla 9G, Viņa del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jan-Frode Myklebust)
Subject: Re: - deprecated - why?
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 10:10:44 +0100

On 13 Jan 1999 21:50:27 -0800, Edward A. Falk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <77i09a$ajt$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Steve Carter  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>[originally posted to comp.os.linux.development.apps oops!]
>>
>>Why in the world does linux tell me off for typing
>>
>>ps -e
>
>YEAH!  I had a whole bunch of scripts break because of that.  Why
>not leave it alone?

RTFM:

       For now, ps will give you a warning if you use a `-' for a
       short option, but it will still work.  If you  have  shell
       scripts  which use BSD-style arguments to ps, take heed of
       the warning and fix them, or else your scripts  will  fail
       to function correctly at some point in the future.  If you
       want to turn off the warnings, set the  I_WANT_A_BROKEN_PS
       environment variable.

--
Jan-frode <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan Curry)
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 09:48:54 GMT

In article <77k1jk$k0o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Frank T. Lofaro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Please tell me the Unix98 standard for ps options is not the same as
>System V! Please!
>
>System V ps is hard to deal with, annoying, and missing key
>functionality. The BSD ps is so much nicer. ps on Solaris can cause
>headaches.

I second that emotion.

My solution to the problem is to always say PATH=/usr/ucb:$PATH whenever
using Solaris. Then you can use ps as it should be.

When this horrible idea gets implemented, I'll vote for making the sysv
weiners define "I_WANT_A_BROKEN_PS", in order to enable the sysv options,
instead of the other way around. And I definitely want to be able to
configure --disable-sysv-bullshit so I don't have the useless bloat in the
executable.

>What the heck is Unix98, anyway?

A unix specification written by a bunch of sysv pushers who couldn't write a
decent ps if their life depended on it. Obviously. (hint: look around
opengroup.org)
--
Alan Curry    |Declaration of   | _../\. ./\.._     ____.    ____.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]|bigotries (should| [    | |    ]    /    _>  /    _>

------------------------------

From: "Bjorn Wesen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Sound Engine
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 02:08:28 +0100

Ross Vandegrift wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>This was my big question; I wasn't sure if I could create a device file
>that could be opened by multiple processes at once.  Would that be
>possible?  Would it require ridiculous kernel modifications?

It's up to the device.. when the device is opened you get a struct file *
from the opening process which has a private data field you can alloc and
attach a state to. You can extract this private field when the process tries
to read/write later on to figure out how to mix it etc. So it's no
problemo..

/Bjorn W

------------------------------

From: Bob Hayward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: K6-2 300 Problem
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 01:12:33 +0000

==============E57ADEDE434CA847607FB383

Hello Marcos,

    I just bought a K6-2 300 on a Asus P5A-B motherboard and will be
installing it this weekend.

    From what I understand, you should use a kernal compiled with i386
setting.
Perhaps you have or not but that is the best I can offer at this time,
I'm relatively new to Linux
and just learning it.
    I would be very interested in learning what your problem is, hope
you find  out soon,
will let you know how my installation goes when I done if your
interested.
 Will us a Viper V330 4 meg video card.

Take care

Bob Hayward
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--

Bob Hayward

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

==============E57ADEDE434CA847607FB383

begin:vcard
n:Hayward;Bob
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Bob Hayward
end:vcard

From: Steve Carter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 14 Jan 1999 11:13:20 GMT

Jan-Frode Myklebust <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: On 13 Jan 1999 21:50:27 -0800, Edward A. Falk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: RTFM:

:        For now, ps will give you a warning if you use a `-' for a
:        short option, but it will still work.  If you  have  shell
:        scripts  which use BSD-style arguments to ps, take heed of
:        the warning and fix them, or else your scripts  will  fail
:        to function correctly at some point in the future.  If you
:        want to turn off the warnings, set the  I_WANT_A_BROKEN_PS
:        environment variable.

This doesn't answer the question, WHY?!  But other posts on this thread
(and it's sister on c.o.l.dev.apps) explain it - that SysV has got the
bigger mouth so it is shouting the loudest and we will all have to put up
with its ps one day.

--
Steve Carter [EMAIL PROTECTED]       See also http://chocfest.york.ac.uk/
            The opinions expressed here are not necessarily

------------------------------

From: "Sander Pilon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Obtaining MAC address from remote computer
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 12:48:30 +0100

>Sander Pilon wrote:
>>
>> I want to obtain the MAC (Hardware) address of another computer.
>>
>> I searched through Dejanews and Excite, but none of the I found programs
>> work.  Most of them failed on the IOCTL() with SIOCGARP call.
>>
>> I have two ethernet cards. (3Com PCI) on Linux 2.0.34.
>>
>> Is there anyone out there that has a decent example showing
>> how to do get a MAC address from a remote computer?
>>

>I use "arp -a" for local segments, don't know about getting them from
>farther away.

Maybe I should've mentioned I want to do this in C on a per-packet basis.

A packet arrived on eth0, I'm going to forward it to eth1 and I have to
insert a new MAC
address.

Regards,

Sander

------------------------------

From: "Sascha Bohnenkamp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hardware question
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 13:06:00 +0100

Hello,

I have got a simpel question. I want to upgrade to a new PC (Now I have a
Pentium 60MHz...) and
I plan to buy:

    Gigabyte BXDS
    2x P2/250MHz
    2x IBM DGHS 9GB SCSI-UW drives
    TNT-Graphicboard
    Soundblaster AWE64
    512MB RAM

no problems with linux, right? (I know, no Hardware 3D-support yet)

------------------------------

From: Josef Moellers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 13:00:17 +0100

Sander Pilon wrote:

[ ... ]

> A packet arrived on eth0, I'm going to forward it to eth1 and I have to
> insert a new MAC
> address.

Where do you want to do this?
In userland, you don't have to do it, since the MAC layer is
inaccessable to the user. You use IP addresses.

In kernel, you use the arp module to resolve IP addresses.

--
Josef Moellers          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        UNIX - Live free or die!

------------------------------

From: "Sascha Bohnenkamp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development
Subject: Re: VM_MAYWRITE
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 13:07:29 +0100

> Could anyone explain briefly how the VM_MAYWRITE flag is used
>in the linux VM subsystem? I saw that there is a test in mm/filemap.c
>(generic_file_mmap function) to check whether vm_flags has VM_SHARED
>and VM_MAYWRITE set before setting vm_ops to file_shared_mmap. Isn't
>it enough to check just VM_SHARED and VM_WRITE?

I am not sure, but it sound like 'copy on write' to me, e.g. write is
alloweded, but requires
copying of the original page ...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M Sweger)
Subject: Re: virtualizing i386-linux
Date: 14 Jan 1999 12:57:00 GMT

M Sweger ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

:  I believe the way IBM does it for VMS is that the microprocessor has
: special priveledged instructions for kernel control and IO so that
: there won't be any conflicts. This allows them to run multiple versions
: of VMS (production vs. experimental version) and/or Unix side by side.

Sorry, I mean't to say MVS with TSO!

: Anoter possibility is to write a micro kernel which is based on the
: Corba model. Therefore, each object running off the Corba ORB can be
: an OS [version] of Linux or, Linux and Windows or anything else
: simultaneously. Hence, the virtual networking between the different
: OS versions is done already for you by the Corba ORB's Object to
: object communications (OS to OS communications) via RPC, IIOP etc.

Moreover, if each object [OS] wants to talk to the hardware, it
would instantiate a Corba object requesting hardware service. Then
the Corba Object scheduler would use the Corba services to actually
perform the hardware request. This is similar to batch jobs in terms
of requesting hardware access.

--
        Mike,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]