  hard disk copy ("Thierry BUCCO")

From: Ed Bruce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: disheartened gnome developer
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 13:27:15 -0600

Christopher Browne wrote:
> There are good reasons, even though it be possible, to consider *not*
> fixing the code but to rather pay a third party to do so.
>
> a) If you patch it yourself, and don't release the patches, then you
> essentially "fork" an extra source code tree that starts diverging from
> the "main" code tree.  This makes it increasingly difficult to upgrade
> to get new functionality if the "main developers" do an upgrade.

I suggest you look into CVS. Part of its design philosophy was to
support this exact scenario. I have used it and found it very easy to
track several developers changes to the same source.

later,
Ed

------------------------------

From: David Rivenburg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Telephony and Linux
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 03:28:28 -0600

Check out mgetty+sendfax.  Not exactly a telephony library, but could
be very useful in developing one.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Meijer)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Anti-aliased fonts
Date: 14 Jan 1999 17:08:10 GMT

Kaustav Bhattacharya ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
[ about anti aliasing ]

You will like to read this:

http://www.slashdot.org/articles/99/01/07/1429242.shtml

HTH,
Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology

------------------------------

From: Jamison Stepan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Sound Blaster Live!
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 11:23:50 -0600

Check http://www.opensound.com they are working on an SBLive driver. No
solid date yet though.

Jamison

------------------------------

From: Joerg Zieren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: egcs - where is the official site?
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 11:01:25 +0100

Mike Dowling wrote:

> Does anybody know where the latest, official version is to be found?

Check out egcs.cygnus.com.

--
Joerg Zieren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 16:55:21 GMT

Duncan Rose writes:
> If I created a neat app and had a contract (which is what a software
> license is, in effect)

A software license is *not* a contract.

> with MS (just for an example!) that they got access to the source but
> nobody else did, then I couldn't take their money and then distribute a
> GPLed version.

They could certainly sue for breach of contract.  Whether or not they could
suppress the GPL version would depend on the details of the contract.  If
the agreement was such that the work was a work for hire, the law would
consider MS the author and therefor the GPL you stuck on it would have no
more validity than if you had stolen a copy and put it out on the net with
a bogus GPL.  If the contract was such that the work was not a work for
hire, you would be the author, and your GPL might very well stick (you
would still lose the lawsuit though).

> In the case of RH and in the context of this thread, I'm wondering if RH,
> by distributing packages under GPL, has a contract with the rest of the
> Linux (or any other) community...

No.  The GPL is not a contract.  Please go study up a bit on contract law.

> So, a more general query: if I write (and hold the copyright on) a piece
> of software and distribute it under GPL, am _I_ bound by the GPL,

No.  The GPL is a grant of rights from you as author to the recipient of
the copy it is attached to.  It says to the recipient "I grant you
permission to do the following things which copyright law would otherwise
permit me to forbid, provided that you agree to these conditions".  The
only thing you promise to do is not sue them as long as they comply with
the license.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            Do with it what you will.

From: Christian Rehn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to share memory between device driver and user space app?
Date: 14 Jan 1999 17:53:08 GMT

jian.zhang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  The real problem is how to setup the shared area between a kernel device
>  driver and a user space application. In user application, after open device
>  driver file, I call mmap try to setup the share memory, the linux kernel
>  will call my driver's mmap() function. But I don't know how to map the
>  user area's VMA to one memory block of  my device driver.

The virtual address space in Linux is segmented, so you have a kernel and a
user segment. In user mode a process can only access the user segment.
When you enter the linux kernel by a system call, linux changes to kernel mode
and the segment selector register CS is set to the kernel segment. Also the DS
and ES registers are modified in order to be able to access the kernel segment.
(asuming you have a x86 computer)
To access the user segment you can use the put_user() and get_user() macros.
You can only copy the data from the user_segment but not map the data into the
kernel segment.

virtual address = segment selector + offset
When code is processed the segment selector is already set. A pointer in C is
only the offset. If you try to use this address in kernel mode it is not
possible because the segment selector is different.

Ciao,
        Chris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: accessing user space memory
Date: 14 Jan 1999 18:54:31 +0100

Hello,

maybe, I was a bit unclear in my first message.

The real problem is, I am in the kernel on behalf of a process A,
and I want to read and write memory which belongs to another
process B. I can get B's virtual address of the memory region
by a message, delivered through a pipe.
I don't know how to get the physical/kernel address I need to
read/write.

B is a fileserver process, A is any application using the files from
the fileserver process B.

                                Regards
                                        Andreas
 /|)    Andreas Buschmann                       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
/-|)    Digitale Video Systeme                  +49 511 678 07-13
        DVS GmbH

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Perry Pip)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 17:58:01 GMT

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999 23:49:51 GMT, steve mcadams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Steve, I agree with your conclusion that QPL is more open than GPL, but I
strongly disagree with your assertion that QPL is more open than LGPL.
LGPL allows you to link *anything* to it, whereas QPL does *not* allow you
to link a closed source program to it. (To link a closed source app to you
must buy the commercial version of Qt, which is not under QPL). That's my
interpretation of QPL clause 6, where I think the term "These items" is
made pretty clear.......

>This is not a challenge, but I have read the GPL, the LGPL, and
>TrollTech's new license in some detail over the past few weeks,
>because I've been pondering the licensing issue, and  imho, the
>TrollTech license is the most open of the three, the main difference I
>see being that they are permitting anyone to use their code including
>propietary applications, with the following:

No, you *cannot* use the free version of Qt for propietary applications.

>From version 0.92 of the new Qt license,
>
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>"6. You may develop application programs, reusable components and
>other software items that link with the original or modified versions
>of the Software. These items, when distributed, are subject to the
>following requirements:

"these items" i.e "application programs, reusable components and
other software items that link with the original or modified versions"

Seems very clear to me. If you disagree I'd be more than willing to CC:
you on an email to the Troll Tech guys asking for a clarification.

>a. You must ensure that all recipients of machine-executable forms of
>these items are also able to receive and use the complete
>machine-readable source code to the items without any charge beyond
>the costs of data transfer.
>
>b. You must explicitly license all recipients of your items to use and
>re-distribute original and modified versions of the items in both
>machine-executable and source code forms. The recipients must be able
>to do so without any charges whatsoever, and they must be able to
>re-distribute to anyone they choose. "
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>They have not, as far as I can see, been explicit enough about their
>use of the term "items".  It is only the "other software items" that
>must be available in source code for no fee, as opposed to the
>"application programs, reusable components" aspects.  Maybe they know
>this and did it intentionally, maybe it's news to them, maybe it's a
>language-translation issue, or whatever.  Quite likely I don't
>understand their wording, quite possible a judge wouldn't either.

The wording seems like plain English to me. Perhaps you've rad the thing a
few too many times.

Regards,

Perry

------------------------------

From: Jan Andres <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do you read core dump on Linux?
Date: 14 Jan 1999 19:16:35 +0100

"http://www.otokovideo.com" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> How do you read core dump on Linux?
> Thanks.

Debuggers (gdb, xxgdb etc.) can read them.

--
Jan Andres
Email (rot13ed to avoid spam): [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Bryan Hackney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Shared memory between PCI device and application.
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 20:50:59 -0600

This, I believe, is not typical, but nevermind.

I would suggest that if your card remotely resembles a graphics
frame buffer that you borrow heavily from an X server. This would
be if your card had memory you could map across the PCI bus.

I take it that the memory your want to share is the processor
main memory, and not memory on the PCI device.

If this is the case, then you have a bus master PCI device.

If this is the case, create a chunk of memory in a driver. Implement
mmap in this driver so the app can get to this memory. This is not well
covered in Rubini. I had to fight with it for several days.

Now, find a way to advertise this physical memory to the PCI device.

You will have to deal with the details of the particular PCI bridge
chip you have (PIIX4 etc) to make sure this main memory is accessible across the
PCI bus.

If it's not too late, don't do it this way. Put memory on the card.

BH

--
Bryan Hackney / BHC / bhackneyatexpress-news.net
*

------------------------------

From: Andi Kleen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to send IP packet on a selected interface ?
Date: 14 Jan 1999 18:56:25 +0100

In article <77kssd$uv8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> The goal is to be able to open 10 telnet sessions from all the logical ip
> interface to the same server. I can thus simulate 10 different users
> (different IP) with only one linux box.

Just use bind() with the alias address before connect().

> Please help as fast as possible ! and Reply also by email

This is not a write-only group. If you want information you
have to read the group.

-Andi

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Crudup)
Subject: Re: IPMasquerading / SSH
Date: 15 Jan 1999 05:58:09 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Nelson Minar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> says:

>In Linux 2.2, this is all different.

Yes, and now having gotten a cable modem, I'd like to use the ipchains that
comes with the 2.1 kernel (.131) I'm using, but I haven't seen anything
in src/linux/Documentation/networking even approaching a FAQ.

Where do I find info on the new interfaces?

        -Kenny

--
Kenneth R. Crudup, Unix Software Consultant, Scott County Consulting
8811 Colesville Rd., #509       Silver Spring, MD 20910         (301)-562-1922

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Perry Pip)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 18:18:12 GMT

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999 16:47:37 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>> >I wrote C bindings for Qt. Do you know how many people downloaded them in
>> >the first month? 20.
>> >

>> Writing a C binding to a C++ toolkit is kinda going backwards. I see C as
>> a mid-level langauge. It's a good platform independant abstraction of
>> assembly, perhaps as low level as such a platform independant abstraction
>> can be. It's a common focal point to bind higher level languages to. Take
>> a look at
>
>And how is that related to whatever I said? I was just noting that
>there is really very little interest on coding in C instead of C++.

Oh. Really? How does the fact that no one wants to use a C "extension" to
a C++ toolkit indicate that there is very little interest on coding in C
instead of C++. Did it ever occur to you that people who want to program
in C are busy coding away in native C toolkits, i.e GTK+??

That fact that you constantly make such derangements of logic in order to
make your points has made me realize it's not worth my time debating you
at all.

Regards,

Perry

------------------------------

From: Tristan Wibberley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: - deprecated - why?
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 18:21:01 +0000

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> > I second that emotion.
>
> Stop whining before you even know what's happening:
> ps isn't switching from BSD to SysV.  Rather it's adding SysV while
> keeping BSD.  Digital Unix and probably other unixes have been doing it for a
> while now and I believe it's the Unix98 behavior also:  options with a leading
> - are SysV options, while options without are BSD-derived.
> So `ps aux' will work, while `ps -aux' will not.

That's insane! All the options should have '-' prefixed. If they need to
keep the BSD functionality, then SysV is obviously lacking, if they need
to keep SysV then BSD is lacking. Much better to start again and get it
right - if someone needs BSD or SysV operation they can use an Envvar.

--
Tristan Wibberley               Linux is a registered trademark
                                of Linus Torvalds.

------------------------------

From: Frank Sweetser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Registry for Linux - Bad idea
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 10:02:23 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher B. Browne) writes:

> On 03 Jan 1999 12:40:46 -0500, Frank Sweetser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher B. Browne) writes:
> >
> >> There would be merit to having a highly robust, *CONVENIENT TO USE* library
> >> called, oh, say, libconfig.so, that provided, within a small amount of code,
> >> some useful configuration functionality.
> >
> >ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/BETA/profile/ is the package mentioned a
> >couple weeks ago by Ted T'so that is exactly that.  i've been working with
> >it a bit on packaging it up into a nice standalone library, if Ted likes
> >what he sees with it i expect he'll make it publicly availible.
>
> Unfortunately, the fact that the file format and default extension look
> remarkably like those used with That Other Platform is likely to raise some
> hackles and cause prejudice against it.

perhaps.  but the syntax is a good deal more powerful than windows .ini
files, and i think the prensence of () and {} pairs should help people get
over the [header] and pair = value stuff <G>.  as for the filename, you can
call it anything you want....

--
Frank Sweetser rasmusin at wpi.edu fsweetser at blee.net  | PGP key available
paramount.ind.wpi.edu RedHat 5.2 kernel 2.2.0pre3    i586 | at public servers
> This made me wonder, suddenly: can telnet be written in perl?
Of course it can be written in Perl.  Now if you'd said nroff,
that would be more challenging...   -- Larry Wall

------------------------------

From: "Thierry BUCCO" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: hard disk copy
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 23:01:49 +0100

Hi,

I've a little question.

I want to copy a hard disk into another hard disk. All the partitions and
files...
How can i do that ?

It would be automatic.

Thanks.