  Re: Linux Sound Engine (Peter Steiner)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jens Kristian Søgaard)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: How to run Windows Applications on Linux
Date: 15 Jan 1999 22:04:40 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson) writes:

> >I've successfully run PageMaker on Linux using WINE. Try it ;-)
> I for one have been unsuccessful in getting wine to do anything, I am sure
> that there is something, somewhere, I am doing wrong. I can't

Get a copy of the newest Wine version. Install it, and remember to
edit the /usr/local/etc/wine.conf accordingly. Especially remember to
set the Windows and System variables.

--
Jens Kristian Søgaard,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Toon Moene <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: - deprecated - why?
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 15:28:33 +0100

Christopher Browne wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jan 1999 19:44:10 GMT, Alan Curry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >One question though: did the Linux community, or any of the *BSD people, have
> >a vote in deciding which version of ps would be standardized in UNIX98? If
> >not, then why should we bloat up procps with a bunch of options no one will
> >ever use just so we can claim to follow this lousy standard which we had no
> >opportunity to discuss before it was adopted?

> No, there was no vote for these communities.  Much as these communities
> do not have direct representation with X11.  And much as there has been
> limited representation at IETF.  And not too much at W3C.

Indeed, and we do not need to.

We can just embrace and enhance these standards/protocols.

:-) :-)

--
Toon Moene ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Phone: +31 346 214290; Fax: +31 346 214286

------------------------------

From: "Bjorn Wesen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Sound Engine
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 15:20:00 +0100

Ross Vandegrift wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>/dev/dsp is relinked to /dev/leaf
>/dev/dspreal is linked to the former /dev/dsp (usually dsp0)
>/dev/leaf is a software interface (emulating /dev/dsp) to a the user
>space mixing daemon, LEAF (Linux Enhanced Audio Funnel).

>Sound(hehe) reasonable and logical to everyone?

All those /dev links and stuff are really the easy part, so I'd suggest just
try writing that user-space mixing thing, make it work with a couple of
on-disk wav files and mix them into /dev/dsp, and when that's running, you
can start worrying on how to make actual programs pipe data to it :)

/Bjorn

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Herry Hamidjaja)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Viper V550 X driver?
Date: 16 Jan 1999 13:35:58 GMT

Gunnlaugur Thor Briem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Hi folks,

>is anyone working on an X driver for Diamond's new
>Viper V550 card? Anyone know whether the V330
>driver will grok the V550 card?

No, it won't.

>Thanks,

>       - G.

You need to get the latest Xfree86 3.3.3-1 from
ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/3.3.3/binaries/Linux-ix86-glibc/Servers/XSVGA.tgz

The new Xfree 3.3.3 does work with my V550.

Hope this help.

Cheers,
Herry
--
   _/    _/  _/    _/     May the force be with you.
  _/_/_/_/  _/_/_/_/      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daniel R. Grayson)
Subject: Re: IPMasquerading / SSH
Date: 15 Jan 1999 08:46:05 -0600

Try http://www.rustcorp.com/linux/ipchains/HOWTO.html

------------------------------

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 15 Jan 1999 09:40:11 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan Curry) writes:

<snip - useless winge about sysv options bloating out ps>

UTSL.  'nuff said.

--
johan kullstam

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Perry Pip)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: disheartened gnome developer
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 17:53:13 GMT

On 16 Jan 1999 01:12:24 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>is GTK API more suited for C++ while Qt for C?
>
>offcourse OO is more powerfull !

GTK is OO !!

------------------------------

From: Dirk Nuyens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to install glib and gtk+
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 16:13:46 +0100

À̺´È£ wrote:

> I have glib(1.1.12) and gtk+(1.1.12) in `tar.gz'
> format.
>
> how to install them?
> just `./configure' and `make'?
>
> *** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ***

 as usual
$ ./configure
$ ./make
$ ./make install        # as root

--

Dirk Nuyens

------------------------------

From: Marius Vollmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.x
Date: 16 Jan 1999 17:38:14 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Red Hat does own software, unlike Jedi said, and they could
> rerelease that software in a proprietary manner if they wanted (but
> they won´t), and Troll Tech is the only company I know that has
> taken measures to guarantee it wont do such a thing (Even if some
> believe those measures wont be effective).

I think there are important differences between the way Red Hat and
Troll Tech try to do business with regard to the licenses.

When Red Hat stops maintaining the software it is now releasing with a
free license this does not prevent other groups from immediatly taking
over development.  Everybody is free to do so at his whim even right
now, because Red Hat has already granted everyone this freedom by
releasing its code under the GPL (or LGPL).  Red Hat has to remain the
best player in the field if it wants to control the future development
of the code.

Troll Tech on the other hand is *currently* releasing Qt under a
non-free license but promises to be a good guy by being responsive to
the community, etc.  They have legal arrangements that Qt will become
free software when a certain group of people decides that Troll Tech
does no longer keep that promise.

This is not at all the same.  You can't really say that Troll Tech has
taken legal measures to prevent Qt from becoming proprietary, because
it already *is* proprietary.  Red Hat has taken these measures, by
choosing a copyleft in the first place.

I'm very happy to hear that Troll Tech is `going Open Source' with Qt
2.0; I nearly fell of my chair when I read about it, actually.  I'm
sure that the constant bickering of the free software community has
done its share.  I've always thought that Troll Tech wants to be the
good guy and that it is unfortunate that they caught so much heat from
the people they wanted to be nice to.  But from a larger perspective,
it was a good thing.  You need to go all the way.

- Marius (slightly disheartened Gtk developer)

------------------------------

From: Stuart Harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Why I'm dumping Linux, going back to Windblows
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 15:14:24 +0000

DadKind wrote:

> I only have five days experience with Linux (RH 5.1), and so far it
> has not been fun! It has been a tough time getting the info that I'm
> looking for, since I don't even know what I don't know (I see all
> these posts about recompiling the kernel and I am about freaking!). A
> graphical interface for finding files, getting help, might seem
> unimportant to you,

type the following as root..

pico /bin/findfile

paste this into the window pico is in!

#!/bin/bash

if [ $0 == "" ];
then
 echo "usage: $0 filename"
else
find / -name "$1" -print
fi

then CTRL + X save it.. bla bla

then type chmod u+rwx,go+rx-w /bin/findfile

(your easy way to find a file..)

Linux/unix isn't that bad.. its like (sortof and don't flame me)
dos but more useful :)
soon as you learn the basics you'll never wanna use windows again.

>but for someone like me who's spent the last ten
> years running WindowsXX, a graphical help system is just a friendly

man pages are MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH more usefull than window .hlp files
type man bash for instance
bet windows help doesent tell you so  much about command.com!

--
+--------------------------------------------       +
| Stuart Harris / Unix Sysadmin/Dial Support        .
.  (M) [EMAIL PROTECTED] / (T) 01494 751882
     (F) 01494 443374 / (W) http://www.red.net      .
.      for pgp finger / [EMAIL PROTECTED]     |
+       --------------------------------------------+

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ilya Zakharevich)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.lang.perl.misc
Subject: Re: Secuity hole with perl (suidperl) and nosuid mounts on Linux
Date: 16 Jan 1999 20:54:51 GMT

[A complimentary Cc of this posting was sent to Peter Samuelson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>],
who wrote in article <77q068$ht8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Just after posting I realized that these checks by the kernel can be
> easily circumvented by not having the kernel do the #! processing.
> Just run `perl' or `suidperl' on the executable and it will duplicate
> the kernel permission checks, including setuid bits, only it doesn't
> duplicate them well enough.  I just now tested this on a loopback
> filesystem and it is definitely exploitable.
>
> Brian, you're right, I'm wrong.  This needs to be fixed.  Now.  (I'm
> running Debian Linux 2.1 "slink" which features perl 5.004_04.)

Somehow I'm lost on this description (I have seen Linux several times,
but have no idea how perms in a removable media can work).

Did I understand it correct: you chown/set-suid script.pl while it is
in your laptop, insert it in a server floppy, and run user-level perl
on it and it bombs?  How so?

Ilya

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: What does this traceroute output mean?
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 22:15:22 +0100

Hi,
I have a very bad network performance between my Alpha and a Pentium.
It basically works, but the 10Mbps link yields about 300KB/s from
the Alpha to the Pentium but only 45KB/s vice versa.
That could i have gotten by plip, too...

The only strange thing i observed besides the slow link is this:
When i do a traceroute from alpha to pentium:
traceroute to 192.168.1.2, 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
 1  * * *
 2  * * *
this continues.

The ping times are good, i think:
alpha to pentium:

vice versa:

Can anybody please give me a hint, what i could check
to repair this slow link?

Some more data:
On pentium:
eth0 Link encap:10Mbps Ethernet  HWaddr 00:00:E8:58:33:3A
     inet addr:192.168.1.2  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
     RX packets:4853 errors:1 dropped:0 overruns:0
     TX packets:4897 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
     Interrupt:10 Base address:0xf200
This seems correct to me - doesn't it?
The Pentium card is a 4Lan PCI (Realtek 8139 driver)
The system is Linux 2.0.35

On Alpha i have a DEC onboard net (Samsung UX2 board)
and Linux 2.0.36

Thank you very much in advance for any answers!
Martin.

--
Your mouse has moved, Windows must be restarted for changes
to take affect - restart now?

------------------------------

From: Frank Hale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2.2.0pre7 problem with can't find map file
Date: 15 Jan 1999 17:27:17 GMT

Installed the updated sysklog and built the src rpm. Still produces the
errors

> Jan 15 00:29:16 FranksPC kernel: Cannot find map file.
> Jan 15 00:29:16 FranksPC kernel: Error seeking in /dev/kmem
> Jan 15 00:29:16 FranksPC kernel: Error adding kernel module table entry.

I've seen about a million of the same kinds of questions on dejanews.com
and not 1 of the solutions people provide works. Most people say to copy
the newly create System.map to /boot and make the symlink, and of course
that is done in this case. Does anyone out there know how to get rid of
these error messages?

From:      Frank Hale
Email:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ:       7205161
Homepage:  http://members.xoom.com/frankhale/
Jade:      http://jade.netpedia.net/

Windows VirusScan 1.0 - "Windows found: Remove it? (Y/N)"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (steve mcadams)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 18:21:37 GMT

[Snipped for brevity, quoted material marked with ">"]
On 15 Jan 1999 02:44:37 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher
Browne) wrote:

>c) The extra wrapper introduces more code, thus potentially reducing
>reliability and likely increasing code size.

...and slowing things down since it introduces another level of state
save/restore for the forwarded call, one of the slower things you can
do given the code that most compilers generate for it... definitely
slower than directly calling the C++ member which might be inlined.
It might also reduce functionality; if whoever maintains the wrapper
doesn't have time to propagate every function back through the
wrapper, s/he/it is probably going to skip some that look less
often-used, and may skip others in error.

Generally C-language wrappers for C++ objects tend to be a bad idea;
on the other hand if you start with a C implementation then wrap it in
C++ you get the best of both worlds.  (Unfortunately most people,
myself included, are probably too lazy to do this if they can just
write it in C++ to begin with.)  -steve
Tools for programmers: http://www.codetools.com/showcase

------------------------------

From: George MacDonald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What IPC methods can I use for kernel<->user communications?
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 19:58:44 GMT

Ronald S. Kundla Jr. wrote:

> I have been searching all over for information that would tell me just
> what IPC functionality I could use to have a kernel function
> communicate with a user process.
>
> I have a function that has an array of bytes that I want to send to a
> user process, but I want to be able to have the kernel tell the user
> process that I have data to hand off to it.
>
> Other methods that I have seen say that I could pend (or sleep) the
> user process while it waits for input using ioctls (it is actually
> registered as a character device), but I would rather not have that
> happen if at all possible.
>
> Could I use signals, pipes, queues, shared memory and all those good
> things in IPC from the kernel? Are there any open-source examples,
> including user processes?
>
> Thanks,
> Ron

If the program is reading from the fd associated with your "device" you
could use the blocking/non-blocking features of read and select.

In other words the program could sleep on a select waiting for input
on the file descriptor. When the kernel has data to be read on
that fd perform the same thing a socket does when new data arrives
on a fd that has been selected for input.

That would be a nice model, as it would allow the program to
handle multiple input streams. Hmm, a nice generalization would be
to have a  /dev/kernelMsgs

Then a process could "register" with the kernel for event notification
by writing the "event names/tags" to the fd.

I sure would like this kind of service for one of my programs, i.e.
I would like to get an event every time a program starts/dies.

--
We stand on the shoulders of those giants who coded before.
Build a good layer, stand strong, and prepare for the next wave.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.kernel,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: K6-400 "kernel paging request" errors
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 15:05:51 GMT

Suffering from an unstable system.
K6-400 (stepping 12), Motherboard FIC PA-2013 (VIA MP3),
256 MB Ram (PC-100), (the board allows to downclock the RAM to 66 Mhz, what I
did),
AGP Matrox G200, 2 SCSI-Controller, EATA-DPT (only Disks)
and ncr53c825 (DDS-3, CDROM ).
RedHat 5.2 Kernel 2.0.36 and I tried as  well all 2.2.0-preXX. the last
2.2.0-pre7ac2.
The system keeps chrashing.

I am trying to fix the system now since christmas. Getting frustrated....

Any ideas, suggestions??

Thanks in advance

Mario Dix

This is from 2.0.36:

Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address e8f7ce98
current->tss.cr3 = 083ac000, %cr3 = 083ac000
*pde = 00000000
Oops: 0000
CPU:    0
EIP:    0010:[<00125af0>]
EFLAGS: 00010202
eax: 28f7ce98   ebx: 08c30814   ecx: 00000400   edx: 00000025
esi: 00000814   edi: 00067831   ebp: 00000400   esp: 0313de68
ds: 0018   es: 0018   fs: 002b   gs: 002b   ss: 0018
Process tar (pid: 3707, process nr: 53, stackpage=0313d000)
Stack: 08c3f398 00067831 00000814 00000002 00000000 00000025 0012702d 00000814
       00067831 00000400 0313df18 00002484 00000000 0dfddf00 00067831 00000814
       00000100 08c3f498 036c0814 00000000 08c3f498 08c3f418 036cf918 0313df14
Call Trace: [<0012702d>] [<001274af>] [<0011d25c>] [<0011d341>] [<0011d6b4>]
[<00123c70>] [<0010a941
>]
Code: 39 38 75 24 66 39 58 04 75 1e 39 68 20 74 22 56 e8 17 f9 ff
Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address e8f7ce98
current->tss.cr3 = 041b8000, %cr3 = 041b8000
*pde = 00000000
Oops: 0000
CPU:    0
EIP:    0010:[<00125af0>]
EFLAGS: 00010202
eax: 28f7ce98   ebx: 00080814   ecx: 00000814   edx: 00000025
esi: 00000814   edi: 00086831   ebp: 00000400   esp: 0313dddc
ds: 0018   es: 0018   fs: 002b   gs: 002b   ss: 0018
Process tar (pid: 3708, process nr: 53, stackpage=0313d000)
Stack: 00086831 03130814 00000400 00086831 08975818 00000025 00126352 00000814
       00086831 00000400 00086831 0313def4 001d25a0 00086831 00000001 00154cec
       00000814 00086831 00000400 00000000 00086831 00000001 0df16b00 00000400
Call Trace: [<00126352>] [<00154cec>] [<0015534c>] [<001555d5>] [<00153905>]
[<00156845>] [<0012c414
>]
       [<0011d7f2>] [<00123deb>] [<0010a941>]
Code: 39 38 75 24 66 39 58 04 75 1e 39 68 20 74 22 56 e8 17 f9 ff
general protection: 0000
CPU:    0
EIP:    0010:[<00125af0>]
EFLAGS: 00013286
eax: 88f0e018   ebx: 0dbf0811   ecx: 00000400   edx: 0000008c
esi: 00000811   edi: 002f889d   ebp: 00000400   esp: 0ee6be8c
ds: 0018   es: 0018   fs: 002b   gs: 002b   ss: 0018
Process X (pid: 384, process nr: 4, stackpage=0ee6b000)
Stack: 0dbff898 002f889d 00000811 00000001 00000000 0000008c 0012702d 00000811
       002f889d 00000400 0ee6bf3c 00000004 00000000 0dfdc800 002f889d 00000811
       00000100 0dbff918 00000811 00000000 0dbff918 0015638b 0df10400 0ee6bf38
Call Trace: [<0012702d>] [<0015638b>] [<001274af>] [<0011d83e>] [<0011d91d>]
[<00123c70>] [<0010a941
>]
Code: 39 38 75 24 66 39 58 04 75 1e 39 68 20 74 22 56 e8 17 f9 ff
general protection: 0000
CPU:    0
EIP:    0010:[<00125af0>]
EFLAGS: 00010286
eax: 88f0e018   ebx: 06850811   ecx: 00000400   edx: 0000008c
esi: 00000811   edi: 0000689d   ebp: 00000400   esp: 04c02e60
ds: 0018   es: 0018   fs: 002b   gs: 002b   ss: 0018
Process m4 (pid: 3762, process nr: 47, stackpage=04c02000)
Stack: 06851b18 0000689d 00000811 00000001 00000000 0000008c 0012702d 00000811
       0000689d 00000400 04c02f10 00000044 00000000 0e321c00 0000689d 00000811
       00000100 06851898 06850811 00000000 06851898 00154ee1 06851518 04c02f0c
Call Trace: [<0012702d>] [<00154ee1>] [<001274af>] [<0011db3f>] [<0011dc39>]
[<0011b1f7>] [<0011b0f4
>]
       [<00111b48>] [<00111a2c>] [<0011414e>] [<0010aaa4>]
Code: 39 38 75 24 66 39 58 04 75 1e 39 68 20 74 22 56 e8 17 f9 ff

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Registry for Linux - Bad idea
Date: 15 Jan 1999 12:50:22 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
George MacDonald  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >So if the OS has an ethernet card, and detects it's on a lan it could
>> >broadcast for "opStore" servers, then ask one or more of these for the
>> >settings for this "kind" of machine.
>>
>> Broadcasting is a really evil thing to do and won't work if there
>> are routers between you and the server.  Better to issue an
>> http or tftp request to some well known name in your domain and
>> define some identifying token that should be in the response.
>
>That assumes the system has been configured, wern't we talking
>about a system that just had a "fresh" image installed?

DHCP will get you to a point where you have your own IP address
and netmask, you know the DNS server address and your own domain
name.  I don't think you should try to reinvent this part.  A
DHCP server can be configured to give a specific ethernet interface
a specific set of values or to distribute a set of options and
a range of IP addresses to any clients on a subnet.  If
you aren't running a DHCP server on the net you will just have
to configure those manually.  PPP does it a different way anyway,
and you can't broadcast over PPP.  The best you can do automatically
is to try to connect to a standard hostname and service in your
domain once you get to this point.  Http or tftp may already be
available.  Http is more popular and better understood in terms
of security these days.

>If it's configured then sure do as you suggest, if you build
>a custom image you can also do as you suggest. So you could
>either setup for "known stores" or take a quick peek around
>the neighborhood to see what's there. A few other options
>also exist, stores could advertize and there could be a
>"yellow pages" type service on your network.

How do you propose finding the 'known stores' from a DHCP
configured client (hands-off so far) other than standardizing
a name and service to exist in the local domain?  If your
DNS resolves name.your.domain and the specifice service responds
you can pick up what you need to continue configuring the
machine.

>> >information could be sent to the "opStore" server to help
>> >it define what information to return.
>>
>> The scheme will probably need some kind of identification and/or
>> authentication for some of the settings.
>
>Yes, I was thinking about some kind of higher level service that
>would load settings that are suited to the users hardware,
>job function, ... Some really large organizations could organize
>config info in class hierarchies then assign a new user a
>predefined "role", which could trigger a set of config values.
>i.e. all EE's get a laptop configured for the companies
>design suite. EE's in the chip lab also get the synopsis
>suite ...

This would all be possible under http but it would require active
if the minimum requirement was to return one text file from
the request.   That means the minimum setup to work would be
a DNS alias (OR a local hosts file entry) pointing to a web
server capable of sending back a static page.  This page should
have some string that identifies it as containing the setup
values just in case you collide with an existing host name and
page.  Some more elaborate encoding could be added to verify
that the host you wanted actually answered.  The additional
server side functions to identify and respond differently
to specific clients would also be possible given the appropriate
server support (i.e. cgi scripts or equivalents).  Or the first
text file might tell you to go to a specific LDAP server for
the next step.

>> The problem is common enough that a lot of solutions have been
>> tried.  The net effect is that the adminstator has to do
>> everything a dozen different ways or limit the kinds of OS's
>> that he supports.  Or a company needs different administrators
>> for each networking protocol.  I'd hate to see Linux add yet
>> another to the mess without solving anything new.  There has
>> to be some way to 'discover' resources that uses one of the
>> existing protocols.
>>

>You describe a problem I consider outside the scope of opStore,
>but that could be integrated into opStore if/when implemented.

If the discovery mechanism isn't integrated then configuration
becomes more complicated by the mechanism instead of less.

>In Unix/Linux the printers are configured by root, so that part
>would be handled by a "systemStore" vs. a "userStore". Well
>I suppose the userStore could refer to printers objects in
>the systemStore and users might define default printers
>and settings for particular contexts and overrides for
>applications ...

I don't think the service should dictate this particular model of
configuration.   It should just provide the information and
perhaps some restrictions on who can see/modify it.  It should be
up to the programs accessing the information to decide how
to use it.

>> Does the coda filesystem do anything that might be useful here?
>
>Yes it can store config info, hence a module could be written
>to use it. Requiring Coda would not fly, the people who invented
>it are the ones working on ACAP.

But that's the point: if things appear to be normal files and the
network copies appear on the net with local copies when you aren't
then you write the system to just use files. Coda wouldn't be
required, but it would provide the network magic if you have it.

 Les Mikesell
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Steiner)
Date: 16 Jan 1999 23:29:23 +0100

In article <77q7bg$l$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bjorn Wesen wrote:

>All those /dev links and stuff are really the easy part, so I'd suggest just
>try writing that user-space mixing thing, make it work with a couple of
>on-disk wav files and mix them into /dev/dsp, and when that's running, you
>can start worrying on how to make actual programs pipe data to it :)

Mixing isn't that complicated. I've written a mod/s3m player for dos.
My problem is to fit that into a /dev/dsp compatible device.

It looks like it's difficult to do that in userspace. However I'd like
to support MMX and AFAIK that cannot be used in kernelspace since it
would conflict with userlevel programs using the FPU.

Ciao,

Peter
--
  / \_/_\_ /,--'  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Steiner)