Linux-Development-Sys Digest #368, Volume #6      Tue, 2 Feb 99 22:14:08 EST

Contents:
  Re: Advice:  NT Service vs. Linux Daemon??? Which is easier? ("Sascha Bohnenkamp")
  Re: BeOS and Linux (Tim Smith)
  Re: Internal PCI modem (Rob Clark)
  Re: Saving Machine State ("Jens-U. Mozdzen")
  Re: Why I'm dumping Linux, going back to Windblows (Bulent Murtezaoglu)
  Re: Ignorant Socalists (was disheartened gnome developer) (Alexander Viro)
  What's the best way to do process communication ? (Markus Kohler)
  Re: Ignorant Socalists (was disheartened gnome developer) (John Hasler)
  Re: use theramin as input device (John Hasler)
  Linux apps in win2000 port news! (M Sweger)
  Re: New free widget library: Notif-0.1 (Peter Samuelson)
  Re: New free widget library: Notif-0.1 (Frank Hale)
  Re: Easy(?) kernel question. (Frank Hale)
  Re: Modest next goal for Linux (bill davidsen)
  Re: Ignorant Socalists (was disheartened gnome developer) (Marco Anglesio)
  Re: Why I'm dumping Linux, going back to Windblows (jedi)
  svgatextmode + riva128 = ? (Andrew Lee)
  Re: Newbe tar question (Karl Heyes)
  Re: Modest next goal for Linux (bill davidsen)
  Re: why does `stat' make the disk spin? (Marc Slemko)
  Re: Ignorant Socalists (was disheartened gnome developer) (jedi)

From: "Sascha Bohnenkamp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Advice:  NT Service vs. Linux Daemon??? Which is easier?
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 16:10:08 +0100

*snip*
>words, which is easier to write (with an http server as an example):  a
>Linux daemon or an NT service.  My current knowledge of the MS WinNT
platform is
>somewhat better than my unix/Linux knowledge.

well a linux (unix-) daemon is very easy to write ... get a good book
(Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment) and do it ...

>Btw, does anyone write anything is just plain C anymore, or is everything
>pretty much done with C++?
most services are done with c ... but well why not use c++ ...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Smith)
Subject: Re: BeOS and Linux
Date: 2 Feb 1999 06:11:22 -0800

Arthur Chiu  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>BeOS supports state of the art hardware technology.  Linux is a few steps behind.

The hardware listed at www.be.com, at least for the Intel version, seems to be
a subset of what Linux supports.  Where is Linux behind Be?

--Tim Smith

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Internal PCI modem
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 00:12:11 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Donato Marrazzo  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>What about "HCF" modem as the mine?
>Can i hope?
>
>Robert Krawitz ha scritto:
>
>> Yup, that statement makes it a Winmodem.  "HSP" means "Host Signal
>> Processing".

HCF is a Winmodem, too.  A different kind of winmodem, but still a
winmodem.

Sorry :(

Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 16:00:50 +0100
From: "Jens-U. Mozdzen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Saving Machine State

Bill Reh wrote:

> Hi,
> I would like to know if there's any way to save my machine state, ie save my
> kcore and swap file and restore them after rebooting, or something to that
> effect.
> [...]
Bill,
on the apmd home page there is a reference to a patch for the 2.2.x
kernels:
http://falcon.sch.bme.hu/~seasons/linux/swsusp.html

Note this stuff is marked ALPHA (pre-beta), and that you're using it at
your own risk :-)

Regards
Jens
--
Jens-U. Mozdzen, Netzdesign und -entwicklung  | email [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Schleswiger Damm 200                          | phone & fax

------------------------------

From: Bulent Murtezaoglu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Why I'm dumping Linux, going back to Windblows
Date: 02 Feb 1999 18:32:35 -0500

No I'm not dumping Linux, thought this would get people's attention.
I am presently running NT as my desktop with an X server for my
various headless Linux/Unix machines in my basement.  Works reasonably well,
but I would like to dump NT completely (minor instability, lack of
APM, it's tieing up a PPro for mostly being an Xterminal, not to
mention the inability to do sound thru X).  One application I have to
have that does not seem to exist for Linux is the ability to use a
serial scanner.  Presently all my paperwork passes thru a visioneer
paperport.  I would consider buying a new scanner if I can get the
equivalent functionality (clickless/automatic scanning and very
compact scanner).  I checked the SANE pages, but there does not appear
to be anything for Visioneer or the HP serial scanners of equal
capability.  I do not need the paperport _software_, since I figure I
can whip up whatever I need myself.  But I would like to not deal with
device drivers.  Anyhing?

thanks,

BM

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alexander Viro)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Ignorant Socalists (was disheartened gnome developer)
Date: 2 Feb 1999 19:43:06 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
jedi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Tue, 02 Feb 1999 15:30:38 GMT, Marco Anglesio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>
>>>MS wants to *be* the state.
>>
>>And I thought that they wanted to sell software. Silly me.
>
>       Even Bill's own statements don't support such a naieve view.

        Gentlemen, may I politely ask you - what the bloody fsck
does this bullshit do in c.o.l.d.s? It's a *technical* group, not the
alt.sex.microsoft.wank.wank.wank. Crawl back to alt.destroy.microsoft
and alt.fan.bill-gates if you *really* need to discuss that shit.
        *Please*, watch your crosspostings.

--
"You're one of those condescending Unix computer users!"
"Here's a nickel, kid.  Get yourself a better computer" - Dilbert.

------------------------------

Subject: What's the best way to do process communication ?
From: Markus Kohler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 02 Feb 1999 16:46:07 +0100

Hi,
I need a way to communicate between two or more processes on the
same machine and exchange data as fast as possible.
The data are arrays of double's with a size
from 10^3 elements to 10^6 elements.
Performance is VERY critical.
What should I use, shared memory, FIFO's, message queues or somthing else ?

I know that shared memory is usually the fastest but since it cannot grow
dynamically it seems to me that it is not really an option.

(Please cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED] since Im not regulary reading this newsgroup)

Thanks in advance,
Markus
--
Markus Kohler  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 00:31:57 GMT

Marco Anglesio writes:
> [Microsoft] don't dominate the PC market because the state made it
> easy for them or assigned a concession.

A copyright is an "assigned concession".

> MS would be just fine without the state, even without a state. They'd
> probably be pretty happy to be free of the restrictions.

Without copyright Microsoft would not exist.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            Do with it what you will.

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: use theramin as input device
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 00:25:05 GMT

steve mcadams wrote:
> Does anyone know of any work that has been done with the idea of using
> a theramin for an input/pointing device?

No, but it shouldn't be hard.

Allen Crider writes:
> Do you mean that '50s sci-fi sound machine?

No.  He means the '20s musical instrument.

> Where do you get one of those?

Build it.  They are trivially simple.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M Sweger)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Linux apps in win2000 port news!
Date: 2 Feb 1999 15:58:39 GMT

Hi all,

Just saw on the biz wire that a company http://www.interix.com has
developed a 64 bit application that runs a a unix/linux emulator within
the MSoft Win2000 (NT5.0) platform environment. They want alot of
Linux apps ported to their API interface so that Unix runs within Windows.
Seems kind of ironic since Linux is trying to run Windows apps in Unix;
but we don't have the source code to their stuff, but they have ours.
Hmmm! seems like there isn't any competition again. Msoft is supporting them
though.

They have a limited list of things they want ported such as gcc (all compilers and
assemblers) and emacs and Tex to name a few. You have 2.5 months to do it
by -- they end of January 1999. Anything else is nice but they won't pay for.
Those they'd like you to port will only pay a maximum of $1000 to a cheap
payment of $500. They didn't mention [conveniently] that they would like the
linux kernel or Sunos x86 kernel etc to run within the interix Win2000.
The reason it was supposed to be done by the end of January 1999 (now past)
is due to todays press release about this product.

Hmmm! if you can't get the Unix software vendors to port their stuf from Unix
to Window Nt, then make the Unix apps run within NT! In this way you can
say that your OS is a engineering workstation.

--
        Mike,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Samuelson)
Crossposted-To:
comp.windows.x,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: New free widget library: Notif-0.1
Date: 2 Feb 1999 17:55:29 -0600

[Joseph H Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
> I was not aware that there was a real drag and drop protocol for X.
> I'll take a look at Xdnd.  Are there other/better/more widely used
> protocols than this?

Look at XEmacs for a sample implementation of multiple DND protocols.
Between CDE, KDE, GNOME, OffiX and probably others, there are quite a
few to choose from.  I think KDE and GNOME might be using the same
protocol but I don't know for sure.

--
Peter Samuelson
<sampo.creighton.edu!psamuels>

------------------------------

From: Frank Hale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.windows.x,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.x
Date: 3 Feb 1999 01:39:15 GMT

"Adam P. Jenkins" wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joseph H Allen) writes:
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > jik-  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >What drag and drop protocol did you use, Xdnd?
> >
> > My own- it will only work within the client (I.E., from one window to
> > another within the same client).  This certainly needs to be fixed; I was
> > not aware that there was a real drag and drop protocol for X.  I'll take a
> > look at Xdnd.  Are there other/better/more widely used protocols than this?
>
> Xdnd is the wave of the future.  Both GNOME and KDE will use it in
> their desktops.

I am interested in where you found all the information about X windows
to build you own toolkit. I have looked and looked on the net but
haven't found much good information on programming custom GUI toolkits.

From:      Frank Hale
Email:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ:       7205161
Website:   http://www.franksstuff.com/

"Linux - 8 million users can't be wrong"

------------------------------

From: Frank Hale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Easy(?) kernel question.
Date: 3 Feb 1999 01:42:24 GMT

cano_jonathan wrote:

> I'm looking at the 2.0.35 linux kernel and I have a question
> (primarily for the intel platform but info about others is welcome).
>
> When a process context is changed, doesn't the memory manager TLB need
> to be flushed?  Is there a specific x86 instruction or register that
> does this?  Where is the code that causes this to happen?  I've looked
> at
>
> #define switch_to(prev,next) in
>
>         linux/include/asm-i386/system.h
>
> but I don't know the x86 instruction set well and can't seem to find
> the code I'm looking for.

Were you joking with this question or is it really an easy kernel
question? I have been using linux for sometime now and wouldn't consider
this an easy question.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Modest next goal for Linux
Date: 2 Feb 1999 16:45:54 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Adam P. Jenkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| Raymond Lillard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

| > I just tried this no NT4-SP3 and yes, my CPU usage immediately
| > shot to 100%.  How do you explain this?
|
| Yup, I just tried it in NT4-SP3 and it's true, if I hold the mouse
| down the CPU usage goes to 100%.  It only happens though if I hold the
| mouse down over the background.  Hold it down over an application
| window and the CPU usage barely moves.  This depends on the
| application of course.  I'm not sure this means anything terrible
| though; it just means that the window manager (explorer.exe) callback
| does something relatively CPU intensive when you click on the
| background.

Converting your system to a single tasking o/s. Try this while doing
something in a window, like a download. Try this on your fileserver, and
try to tell us how it worked before the user lynch you.

NOT desirable behaviour.

--
  bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc
There are those who make things happen, those who watch things happen,

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marco Anglesio)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 15:30:38 GMT

On 01 Feb 1999 23:44:52 -0500, Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marco Anglesio) writes:
>> without the state, even without a state. They'd probably be pretty
>> happy to be free of the restrictions.
>
>MS wants to *be* the state.

And I thought that they wanted to sell software. Silly me.

marco

--
Marco Anglesio    The press isn't cynical enough. They're the only Americans
[EMAIL PROTECTED]             capable of this kind of embarrassing, greenhorn

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 17:16:19 -0800

On 02 Feb 1999 18:32:35 -0500, Bulent Murtezaoglu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>No I'm not dumping Linux, thought this would get people's attention.
>I am presently running NT as my desktop with an X server for my
>various headless Linux/Unix machines in my basement.  Works reasonably well,
>but I would like to dump NT completely (minor instability, lack of
>APM, it's tieing up a PPro for mostly being an Xterminal, not to
>mention the inability to do sound thru X).  One application I have to
>have that does not seem to exist for Linux is the ability to use a
>serial scanner.  Presently all my paperwork passes thru a visioneer

        That's ye ole 'vendor support' problem biting ye ole butt again.

>paperport.  I would consider buying a new scanner if I can get the
>equivalent functionality (clickless/automatic scanning and very
>compact scanner).  I checked the SANE pages, but there does not appear
>to be anything for Visioneer or the HP serial scanners of equal
>capability.  I do not need the paperport _software_, since I figure I
>can whip up whatever I need myself.  But I would like to not deal with
>device drivers.  Anyhing?

        Bribe a college student with pizza vouchers.

--
                Herding Humans ~ Herding Cats

Neither will do a thing unless they really want to, or         |||
is coerced to the point where it will scratch your eyes out   / | \
as soon as your grip slips.

        In search of sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Lee)
Subject: svgatextmode + riva128 = ?
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 15:49:35 GMT

Hello all,
        I am trying view linux text mode on an old IBM SVGA monitor.
I have to set it to 75 Hz and 1024 x 768 in order to view anything, I
have been told svgatextmode can do this.  However, when looking at the
docs, it lacked support for my STB Velocity 128 based on the riva128
chip.  Since I don't want to fry my card w/o good reason, has anyone
else been able to do this?

thanks

------------------------------

From: Karl Heyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbe tar question
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 16:50:09 -0500

Bucky4me wrote:

> I am new to UNIX and Linux.  I uncompressed a .gz file (JDK) and now have a
> .tar file.  How do I use it.  It is my understanding that this is a archive
> file.  Is this correct?  I am trying to install Java on my Linux system.
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

use the good old  tar command.

vtf   <filename.tar>         to view whats in there
xvf   <filename.tar>        to extract whats in there

man tar                          for more info.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 2 Feb 1999 17:00:11 GMT

In article <78o1r3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Mark Hahn  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| >> Is it possible to achieve my modest requirement of "guanranteed limited
| >> time response" in X window? i.e. When my Netscape started swapping, I
| >> want my cursor can still be responsive and move on to other windows and
| >> do some things.
|
| > hdparm -u
|
| unmasking interrupts during IDE transfers is treating a symptom.
|
| if you experience unresponsiveness under Linux, your system is broken.
| for instance, any system that uses IDE, but not in DMA or UDMA mode
| is broken.  any non-busmastering SCSI.  more than a modest amount of
| swapping means you don't have enough ram, are running a leaky app,
| or have a poorly tuned kernel (such as several of the 2.2 pre's.).
| you can achieve remarkable effects with the use of nice or
| sched_setscheduler.

Let's see, use of nice is tuning the system, but allowing interrupts
during transfers isn't? Not having DMA and compensating is "broken" but
not having more or faster CPUs is broken, you just have to use nice?

It sounds as if you have defined broken to mean "having resource
limitations diferent than my system." If you have enough CPUs you don't
need to be nice ;-) The beauty of Linux is that it will run on limited
hardware.

And I would be *very* careful about -u, on some chipsets it can corrupt
the disk. Always have a backup before doing things like this!

From: Marc Slemko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: why does `stat' make the disk spin?
Date: 3 Feb 1999 02:20:33 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Kasper Peeters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:

>Trying to minimize the disk access on my laptop, I noticed that a
>simple stat (2) call makes it spin after a while. There is no
>modification of the access time on the file, so I don't see why it has
>to hit the disk at all. Does ext2fs do something extra that I don't
>know about?

Don't know about that, but I do know that for me I can hear the
disk being accessed for each and every bdflush() that update does
(once every five seconds), even when the machine is truly idle.  That
doesn't make much sense to me.  (2.2.0-pre7)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 17:48:58 -0800

On 2 Feb 1999 19:43:06 -0500, Alexander Viro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>jedi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>>And I thought that they wanted to sell software. Silly me.
>>
>>      Even Bill's own statements don't support such a naieve view.
>
>       Gentlemen, may I politely ask you - what the bloody fsck
>does this bullshit do in c.o.l.d.s? It's a *technical* group, not the
>alt.sex.microsoft.wank.wank.wank. Crawl back to alt.destroy.microsoft
>and alt.fan.bill-gates if you *really* need to discuss that shit.
>       *Please*, watch your crosspostings.

        Polite my ass. You're developers? Then develop yourself a newsreader
        on par with rn from 10 years ago. Either that or go off and have a
        coronary and don't bother us.