  Re: Linux apps in win2000 port news! (Peter Samuelson)

From: Nix <$}xin{$@esperi.demon.co.uk>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: disheartened gnome developer
Date: 07 Feb 1999 00:23:37 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne) writes:

> I run the one posted every couple hours...  It doesn't examine multiple
> streams of cookies; were I to do so, I'd probably do a run through each
> cookie file and then pick between them based on a RNG.

Why not use a named pipe and a little daemon? (Purely for efficiency and
hack value reasons, of course.)

--
`I didn't want the bug *fixed*, I wanted to bitch pointlessly.' - Matthew
                                        R. Williams on alt.religion.emacs

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (N1ho)
Subject: Re: kernel 2.2.x and ZIPdrive
Date: 7 Feb 1999 16:31:35 GMT

What kind of ZIP drive is it? Parallel Port, ATAPE/IDE, or SCSI? There are
specific things you may need to do when you're configuring your kernel to
support your ZIP drive. (Although if it's SCSI, there's nothing to do if you
already have a SCSI hard drive). I suggest you check the various write-ups in
the kernel Documentation directory.
======
Spam (except for Hormel products) is forwarded on to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and the
originating ISP for disposal by their legal teams. (AOL-internal spam to
TOSemail1)

------------------------------

From: Stefan Monnier
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NFS - client cache
Date: 07 Feb 1999 13:59:36 -0500

> Do you know if linux has implemented NFS client cache?

I never heard of an NFS-specific client cache.
Linux does have (in memory) client caching for all filesystems.
It does not have any way to use the client's disk as an NFS cache (which
would be possible using for example CacheFS).

        Stefan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Thompson)
Subject: Re: The "make config'
Date: 7 Feb 1999 19:04:50 GMT

Kevin Miller ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hi everyone!!

: I'm trying to update my kernel to the lastest version 2.2.1 and when I
: go to use the "make config" command, it barks back at me and says
: command not found. Can you please tell me what I need to do from there
: to get that to work.

Make sure you are in /usr/src/linux.  You may also want to consider
make menuconfig.

If that does not work, do:  which make  to see if you ever installed the
make command and if it is in your path.

--

                   -=Christopher Thompson=-
CMPUT 201 (C/C++) TA and general PITA to my students

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: linux.dev.kernel,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
From: Stefan Lucke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: K6-400 "kernel paging request" errors
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 19:11:10 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> =

> Suffering from an unstable system.
> K6-400 (stepping 12), Motherboard FIC PA-2013 (VIA MP3),
> 256 MB Ram (PC-100), (the board allows to downclock the RAM to 66 Mhz, =
what I
> did),
> AGP Matrox G200, 2 SCSI-Controller, EATA-DPT (only Disks)
> and ncr53c825 (DDS-3, CDROM ).
> RedHat 5.2 Kernel 2.0.36 and I tried as  well all 2.2.0-preXX. the last=

> 2.2.0-pre7ac2.
> The system keeps chrashing.
> =

> I am trying to fix the system now since christmas. Getting frustrated..=
=2E.
> =

> Any ideas, suggestions??

Even though I=B4ve got a differnet mother-board (DFI .., AGP Matrox G200,=

AHA2940 - disks, dds1-dc, cdrom) Kernel paging errors occure sometimes
upon loading of the bttv driver.

Did you try other FSB clock rates?
With my K6-2 400 it is impossible to compile the kernel with FSB 100MHz
(no go at 400, 350, 300 - errors: sig 11 - sig 6). Kernel compile is
ok at any FSB 95Mhz rate. (428, 380, 333). But now I=B4ve some trouble
compiling the QT library (sig 11 :-(( at 95 MHz FSB). Perhaps its a good
idea to replace the processor. Mine has production lable (below voltage
infos) A 9849 EPFW.

Stefan Lucke

------------------------------

From: David Grothe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Driver vs. Daemon quesiton
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 18:00:57 GMT

The kernel authors do not, and never have, liked STREAMS.  But if they _had_
liked STREAMS from the beginning, /dev/dsp would probably have been a
STREAMS driver and you would have been able to push your own driver on top
of it with no trouble and with no anticipation on the part of the authors of
/dev/dsp.

LiS (Linux STREAMS) has the ability to bridge from a Linux network driver
(such as ethernet) to a STREAMS driver.  I don't know what /dev/dsp is, but
if it is a network driver then LiS may have the solution for you.

You can download a pre-pre-release of the latest version at
ftp://ftp.gcom.com/pub/linux/src/streams-1.25/LiS-1.25.tgz

Documentation for LiS can be found at http://www.gcom.com/lis.html.

If you want to know more about STREAMS, including how it is that you can
connect drivers together, go to http://www.gcom.com and take the STREAMS
link.

-- Dave

------------------------------

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.windows.x,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: New free widget library: Notif-0.1
Date: 07 Feb 1999 21:28:50 +0100

Frank Hale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> I am interested in where you found all the information about X windows
> to build you own toolkit. I have looked and looked on the net but
> haven't found much good information on programming custom GUI toolkits.

ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/current/untarred/xc/doc/ has
basically all the X info you can find on the net.

--Arnt

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris J/#6)
Subject: ipautofw, 2.0.35 - potential problem?
Date: 7 Feb 1999 22:01:42 -0000

Hiya,

I've traced a problem I've been having recently down to ipautofw. Background
follows:

Every now and then, TCP outgoing connections 'hung', their state being
reported as SYN_SENT or SYN_RECV in netstat. This usually happened after
the machine had not long been switched on, and usually not long after PPP
had came up. After several abortive attempts at tracing the problem, I
dragged tcpdump out to help trace the problem.

The problem came down to this: If the source port of a connection is one
within an ipautofw range, then any reply sent by the kernel to the connection
will be redirected.

Example: Consider you were using ipautofw as follows:
        ipautofw  -A -r tcp 2000 2100 -h 192.168.1.23

After a boot, Linux starts numbering ports from 1024, incrementing each
time a new connection is initiated. After 75 connections, the source port
ends up within the range given by ipautofw (ie, 2000 -> 2100). So the next
101 attempts will fail, as all their packets will get redirected to the
machine 192.168.1.23. This is what I could work out from the tcpdump trace.

This also explains why the problems occoured shortly after ppp came up -
there was more TCP activity from my machine :)

Flushing the ipautofw stack with ipautofw -F allowed me to use these ports
again.

Is this a known bug, a fixed bug, or something potentially new? Can anyone
confirm or deny that this is the case? I'm currently trying to work out
how to fix it (if I can get my head round the networking code in the
kernel...)

Kernel is 2.0.35.

TIA,

Chris...

--
 @}--- Chris Johnson ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\~~~~~~~~ [EMAIL PROTECTED] \--{@
   \ If not for me then do it for yourself  \ www.nccnet.co.uk/~sixie/   \

------------------------------

From: James Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: C/C++ docs?
Date: 07 Feb 1999 11:22:33 +0000

"Scott Nelson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I just installed Red Hat 5.2 and would like to do some development.   Where
> can I get some docs on the Linux API?

The "Linux API" is the UNIX API.  That is the point of Linux.

So, see the comp.unix.programmer FAQ, the "man 2 intro" and "man 3
intro" pages.  Also "info libc" ("info info" if you don't know how to
use "info").  Also the POSIX and UNIX specifications, for example
http://www.rdg.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/7908799/index.html.

There are also many good books on programming for Unix and Linux.  I
would recommend "Linux Application Development" by Johnson & Troan,
ISBN 0-201-30821-5.  Also, "Advanced Programming in the Unix
Environment", W. Richard Stevens, ISBN 0-201-56317-7.  Both publishd
by Addison-Wesley.  (This is not a coincidence).

> There is a small HTML document that is on my disk that lists some
> API functions but doesn't describe their prototypes, return codes,
> etc.  Very incomplete.

All the prototypes are standard.  Local documentation exists in the
form of manual pages (e.g. "man printf").  See also the books in the
Linux Documentation Project, http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP).

--
ACTUALLY reachable as @free-lunch.demon.(whitehouse)co.uk:james+usenet

------------------------------

From: "mikec" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: K6-2 and Linux, Are there any Bug?
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 11:40:24 -0600

I've got Linux to work with a K6-2 3D (266MHz overclocked at 290) with no
problems. I would check in your Bios about suspend modes, as according to my
book you can only use it with a pentium. I don't know if this is your
problem, but it's what I thought of when I read your message.
Hilaire Fernandes wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Javier Pulido wrote:
>>
>> ¡¡SOS!!
>>
>> Problems with the booting of linux in a computer AMD K6-2 (300 MHz) with
>> i430TX (no AGP) and 128 MB, two hard drives and 1 CDROM.  Can you help
me?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Manuel Gutierrez Algaba)
Subject: Crosswords for Linux
Date: 7 Feb 1999 21:23:15 GMT

In http://www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina/cruo/cruo.html is
crossworland, an attempt of collecting data and information
about Linux things, and to learn doing crosswords.

There're many more crosswords...
Besides I run several projects of documentation that may be
interesting for you:
http://www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina/texpython.htm

------------------------------

From: "Cornall Merchandise Pty Ltd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.kernel,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 10:40:23 +1100

Hi Stefan,

I have a system which has a VERY similar configuration to yours.

    FIC MPV3 M/B
    K6-2-400
    256Mb RAM

    DPT 3334UW SCSI Controller
    Raid 1 Assembly

    Adaptec 2940W Controller
    SCSI CD-ROM
    SCSI Tape Drive

After first installing RH 5.2 on this system I was able to re-compile the
kernel to include the EATA-DPR driver in the kernel to mount the raid
assembly.

However, I was unable to compile the kernel again after this.

I found when I dropped the CPU clock to 350MHz and increased the
memory wait states, the kernel, iBCS and samba-2.2 compiled OK.

A couple of days later, I changed the CPU for another K6-2-400 and
found I was able to compile the kernel without any problems.

Since swapping the CPU I haven't had any other problems. (Yet!!)

By the way, I noticed you also have a DPT controller.

Did you install RH directly onto your raid assembly??

If so can you let me know how you did it.

I had to install RH onto an IDE hard drive and mount the raid assembly
after compiling the EATA driver into the kernel.

I want to remove the IDE drive and install RH onto the DPT drives.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Christian Schlesier

Stefan Lucke wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Suffering from an unstable system.
> K6-400 (stepping 12), Motherboard FIC PA-2013 (VIA MP3),
> 256 MB Ram (PC-100), (the board allows to downclock the RAM to 66 Mhz,
what I
> did),
> AGP Matrox G200, 2 SCSI-Controller, EATA-DPT (only Disks)
> and ncr53c825 (DDS-3, CDROM ).
> RedHat 5.2 Kernel 2.0.36 and I tried as  well all 2.2.0-preXX. the last
> 2.2.0-pre7ac2.
> The system keeps chrashing.
>
> I am trying to fix the system now since christmas. Getting frustrated....
>
> Any ideas, suggestions??

Even though I´ve got a differnet mother-board (DFI .., AGP Matrox G200,
AHA2940 - disks, dds1-dc, cdrom) Kernel paging errors occure sometimes
upon loading of the bttv driver.

Did you try other FSB clock rates?
With my K6-2 400 it is impossible to compile the kernel with FSB 100MHz
(no go at 400, 350, 300 - errors: sig 11 - sig 6). Kernel compile is
ok at any FSB 95Mhz rate. (428, 380, 333). But now I´ve some trouble

From: Andi Kleen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: addition of system calls
Date: 07 Feb 1999 22:26:33 +0100

In article <79i98c$eib$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Marx Rajangam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>    If any one can tell me where I am going wrong, it would help me a lot.

You seem to be confused about the semantics of the _syscall* macros.

Try it like this

_syscall(int, assoc);

main()
{
        printf("%d\n", assoc());
}

-Andi

------------------------------

From: "Henrik Österberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 00:27:56 +0100

Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> I've the same problem with K6 200 Mhz, 32Mb and a motherboard with
> i430TX
>
> When I install linux, the kernel load, it starts to make its uusal
> check-in and after the PCI probe the system just reset.
> I've almost 20 Pc where I can't install linux :(
>
> --
> Hilaire Fernandes
> Dr Geo project http://members.xoom.com/FeYiLai/dr_geo/doctor_geo.html

my system is a K6-2 300, Asus TX-97E  mb..
Hercules Stingray 128/3D Voodoo Rush board (6mb.. sandwich model)
sb AWE32
1.2Gb fujitsu ide harddrive & 6.4Gb Quantum BF ide harddrive.
96mb sdram.
Orchid righteous 3D 2 (12mb Voodoo 2)
Tekram DC-390 U/F  UW-SCSI controller
a noname PCI NE2000 network card.

linux runs fine on this...
i use LILO for booting..
if you use loadlin.. be sure to check for the latest version of it!

/Henrik

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=C7=D1=BB=F3=C7=F5?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: is there pthread_mutexattr_setpshared function??
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 23:04:04 +0900

I'm a graguate student in Korea.
and name is Han, sang hyuck

I'm porting Sun thread version to Linux.
and I'm using linux-thread.
but I can't find pthread_mutexattr_setpshared.

is there pthread_mutexattr_setpshared function in Linux_thread??
if it's not here... what threads shall I use in linux-system??
please help
me............................................................

mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=C7=D1=BB=F3=C7=F5?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:33:56 +0900

> I'm porting Sun thread version to Linux.
> and I'm using linux-thread.
> but I can't find pthread_mutexattr_setpshared.
> is there pthread_mutexattr_setpshared function in Linux_thread??

No, sorry.  For more info, please see the FAQ,
http://pauillac.inria.fr/~xleroy/linuxthreads/faq.html
question E.7

> if it's not here... what threads shall I use in linux-system??

As far as I know, no thread library for Linux supports process-shared
mutexes and condition variables.

Regards,

- Xavier Leroy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Samuelson)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux apps in win2000 port news!
Date: 7 Feb 1999 19:27:54 -0600

[M Sweger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
> Although X-Windows is specific to Unix

Tell that to Digital (well, Compaq), who have been selling X clients
and servers under VMS for years.  The point of X is that, like TCP/IP,
it is designed to be pretty much platform-*transparent*.  In fact it is
even network-transparent; assuming your OS has the necessary underlying
support, it can run comfortably on TCP/IP, Unix domain sockets and
DECnet.  (And maybe others; those are the ones I know about.)

The X libraries have been ported to NT; it's just that pretty much
nobody bothers to port, compile and run X clients on NT.

> Exceed is just a port of the Unix X-WIndows server to the NT Os and
> runs natively (in other words was compiled with Msoft tools and
> API's) vs. interix which would run a shell within NT so that Unix
> apps could run within it.

Basically as I understand it Interix provides an alternative API to
the Win32, Win16 and OS/2 modules NT comes with.  And apparently it
does not interact too seamlessly with Win32 (and other) apps.

Thanks but no thanks.  If I wanted a slow Unix clone that isn't really
very Unixy and runs on a bloated microkernel, I'd use the Hurd.  (Not
really making a comparison here.  No offense to Hurd people.)

--
Peter Samuelson
<sampo.creighton.edu!psamuels>