From: Jay Thorne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: patching kernel (2.2.2) help
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 03:18:20 GMT

Anonymous wrote:

> They're now up to 7 last time I checked, but I am having trouble installing
> patches: various combinations of 1-7, 3+ or only 5 all complain that [many]
> patches will create files that already exist.  I have tried various answers
> to the "-R" and "apply anyway?", but get numerous rejects.
>
> What's the correct approach?

Start with a virgin 2.2.2 tree in /usr/src/linux ie:
cd /usr/src
mv linuz linux-old
tar -xzvf linux-2.2.2.tar.gz
cp linux-old/.config linux/.config ( to preserve your old configuration)
bzip2 -d patch-2.2.2.ac7.bz2
cd /usr/src/linux
patch -p1 <../patch-2.2.2.ac7

make config ( and answer all the questions)

make dep && make clean && make zImage && make modules && make modules
install

If you have redhat,
cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.2-ac7;
cd /boot
ln -sf vmlinuz-2.2.2-ac7 vmlinuz
lilo -v

if you have most other distros

make zlilo

--
Jay Thorne  The Net Result System Services [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Http://net.result.com

------------------------------

From: "Joseph Blackburn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: DPT Raid Hardware
Date: 4 Mar 1999 03:36:19 GMT

Has anyone gotten the DPT Raid driver in 2.2.2. working on a Smart V?
Thanks

------------------------------

From: "Jacob Lambert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
3dfx.glide.linux,ab.software.developers,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.m68k,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Video Game Developers Wanted
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 10:06:51 -0600

Tulsa, OK based video game manufacturer is currently seeking professional
software developers who are interested in a challenging and growth-oriented
opportunity. Successful candidates must have experience with one or more of
the following: C, C++, Visual C++, VB, Oracle, SQL, 3D/2D modeling and
animation, OpenGL, Linux, UNIX, Windows 95/98/NT, Client/Server programming,
and TCP/IP. Good communication skills and the ability to work in a fast
paced team environment while handling multiple projects are essential.
Fax or e-mail resume.
Fax (918) 749-7574
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harold Henry)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: RedHat install crashes -- "buggy cmd640b" error
Date: 3 Mar 1999 15:27:03 GMT

I have this card to and Have No problems using linux. However my CD is
connected to a cheap ide controller card I bought because there is only
one ide port on my cmd 640.

From: Bill Broadley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Linux on Mips Wince hardware?
Date: 4 Mar 1999 05:23:06 GMT

I was comparing the new compaq and the new palm pilot:

                        Compaq aero 2100                palm V
Ram MB                  8/16 (24 max)                   2
resolution              320x240 color                   160x160
Size                    5.27x3.34x.78 in                4.5" x 3.1" x 0.4"
Cpu                     70 Mhz mips                     16 Mhz 68k
Audio                   record/playback                 none
expansion               compact flash                   none
Battery life            10 hours max [1]                20-30 ish real [2]
Alarms                  led, chirp, vibrate             beep
backlight               2 levels                        on/off
Misc.                   One handed scrolling (dial)

[1] from compaq specs
[2] from usenet posts

Pretty amazing difference, 4-12 times the ram, 3 times the pixels, color,
vibrate alarms, compact flash support etc.

Seems like it would be easier with 16-24 mb ram+compact flash that it would
be alot easier/direct then squeezing it into a 8 mb ram, no compact flash
pilot.

Anyone know of a project to get linux working on one of these things?

Is this a bad idea to lend support to microsoft spec'd hardware?

Thoughts?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Dawson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Kernel NFS Problem; device busy
Date: 4 Mar 1999 05:21:40 GMT

If you exported it (required for remote systems to mount the partition)
then the mount point truly IS busy (by the NFS daemons and/or mountd) and
hence cannot be unmounted.  Try unexporting it first.

Tim Dawson ([EMAIL PROTECTED])                    Owner/Engineer
TPC Services                                        Bellnet: (972)-221-7385
Lewisville, Texas 75067                             FAXnet:  (972)-221-0393
"The world is complex. Sendmail.cf reflects this...."

------------------------------

From: Jussi Torhonen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.misc
Subject: Re: booting NT & linux
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 19:22:57 +0200

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Andi Braun wrote:

> How do I configure NT's bootmanager to start either NT on disk C: (or
> IDE 0, master) or Linux on D: (scsi, id 0)?
>
> Is there any chance or do I need to use Lilo?

Use LILO but don't let it mess your Master Boot Record (MBR) located on
NT alias C: alias IDE0 drive. Let LILO write info to the beginning of
Linux partition (/dev/sda1 I guess). The following document tells you how
to add Linux into NT bootloader menu. Just read 512 bytes long boot info
from the beginningof /dev/sda1, save it as C:\BOOTSECT.LNX and add the
entry into C:\BOOT.INI file.

http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/mini/Linux+NT-Loader.html

Jussi

Jussi Torhonen   # E-mail:              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tietosavo Oyj    # Corporate website:       http://www.tietosavo.fi
P.O.Box 1582     # Personal homepage:          http://www.iki.fi/jt
FIN-70461 KUOPIO # Tel: +358-17-193231          GSM +358-50-5946209
FINLAND          # Fax: +358-17-193355                73's de OH7DC

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Slyglif Cain)
Subject: Re: console and groups
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 10:29:44 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> I use Debian, but I am sure it is atleast similar in most distros, so this
> should help.  Go into you etc directory, and edit login.defs (as root of
> course).  Look through the file, and somewhere near the end you should see a
> line similar to:
>
>       CONSOLE_GROUPS         floppy:audio:cdrom
>
> and it has a very good description above it.  In case your distro doesn't
> here it is:
>
> # List of groups to add to the user's supplementary group set
> # when logging in on the console (as determined by the CONSOLE
> # setting).  Default is none.
> #
> # Use with caution - it is possible for users to gain permanent
> # access to these groups, even when not logged in on the console.
> # How to do it is left as an exercise for the reader...
>
> I think this would be about what you need.

Thanks for the info, that was exactly what I was looking for.  Also, thanks
for including the comments section, as that was not a part of my file.
// Chris Giard (a.k.a. Slyglif Cain) | Life is like a box of dynamite,
// EMAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED]      | you never know when it will go.

------------------------------

From: Olav Woelfelschneider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: waiting for milliseconds?
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 08:03:19 +0100

Adam P. Jenkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
APJ> Use usleep to get greater resolution than a second.

But never forget, stock Linux has only a resolution of 10ms (or 1ms on
an Alpha).

Shorter delays cannot be done with usleep().

There are some realtime add-ons for linux, however.

--
Olav "Mac" Wölfelschneider                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PGP fingerprint = 06 5F 66 B3  2A AD 7D 2D  B7 19 67 3C  95 A7 9D AF

------------------------------

From: Mark Hahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: something like getch needed
Date: 3 Mar 1999 17:57:37 GMT

> ncurses have it

sure, but that's silly.  curses merely uses termios.

>> something like getch needed, is there any kind of hack to get the same
>> effect as getch?
>>
>> Heres a hack for  kbhit()

what you're asking for is to poll the keyboard.  this can be done
by turning off cannonical input processing, and setting vmin/vtime
to zero.  note that getch is quite different from kbhit, and
means ~canon and vmin=1.

------------------------------

From: "Csaba Raduly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Why I'm dumping Linux, going back to Windblows
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 16:48:09 -0000

[snip]
> However, as time progesses an MS slowly falls apart
[snip]
> So when MS goes down hill so will the obsession for MS
[snip]

Hopeful, hopeful, eh ?
Csaba

------------------------------

From: Mark Hahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Scheduler policies
Date: 3 Mar 1999 17:54:00 GMT

Jos? Mar?a Fern?ndez Gonz?lez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi newsgroup!!!

your mailbox is broken.

> I know the Linux scheduler, and I would like to know if there is any project
> which the next target: to have the chance of choosing among some scheduling
> policies when you compile your Linux kernel (e.g. real time, time sharing,
> etc...).

there are some fairly whacked out patches that tweak or replace
the scheduler.  but the fact remains: it _already_ supports realtime
and timesharing VERY WELL.  in particular, I run highly time-sensitive
realtime psychophysical stimuli on an unmondified Linux box: during
the critical period, no other processes run, but that lasts only briefly.
like most such applications, there's slack time in between that lets
the machine keep the non-RT processes alive.

------------------------------

From: Jeff Daly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.2 on top of 2.0.36 installations
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 12:56:44 -0500

==============8164E9E6466B422C80693BF7

rh5.2 seems to upgrade fine for me, haven't tested everything yet tho.

bill davidsen wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, mvrao  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> | Can I just download the source for 2.2 and compile it ? Will it work
> | with apps and sys utilities from 2.0.36 ?
>
> Slackware 3.6 works fine, is missing only the ipchains stuff AFAIK. And
> a quick look on a machine installed from the current snapshot (Jan 17)
> shows that ipchains is there.
>
> I believe Radhat has a bunch of rpms to upgrade 5.2, but I don't have
> any solid info, as that's not what I hack.
> --
>   bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc
> Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be
> changed regularly and for the same reason.
>         --Ted Symons(?)

==============8164E9E6466B422C80693BF7

begin:          vcard
fn:             Jeff Daly
n:              Daly;Jeff
org:            Sanders, A Lockheed Martin Co.
email;internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:          SW Guy
note:           B-sharps
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]@Glue.umd.edu (David T. Wang)
Subject: Re: OpenGL question.
Date: 4 Mar 1999 04:37:41 GMT

Jan Just Keijser ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: [EMAIL PROTECTED]@Glue.umd.edu (David T.
: Wang) wrote:
: >I just looked in linux.announce, and apparently there is some talk about OpenGL
: >in the upcoming LinuxWorld.  However, since I won't be attending it, is there a
: >good source which summarizes the current state of development of OpenGL with
: >Linux?  I'd like to use OpenGL for my next project, but everywhere I turn, if
: >I should mention "inexpensive" or "PC", the answer I get back is "Windows".
: >Mesa is very nice, but I'd like a hardware supported solution, the program
: >I am thinking of would most definitely be too slow for a software based

: Why would Mesa be slow? If you use Mesa with GLide you get hardware support
: even on Linux; last time I checked there was GLIDE hardware support for 3Dfx
: and S3 Virge. Those versions shouldn't be too slow.

I was thinking ofcourse about mesa in software. compared with hardware,
ofcourse that'll be slow. :)

I do realize that there are alpha/beta 3dfx openGL drivers.  I'm not
sure if I should commit to them, but basically I'm now going down
a dual-platform strategy.  I've asked for a voodoo-II board, and
MS VC++ 6.0 to be procured on my behalf, so I'll try out the mesa-
3DFX combination under Linux, but I'll concurrently fiddle with
MS Windows, since they are literally gaggles of PC's around here,
all with 3D cards of some sort, but no Linux/BSD/Solaris possibilities.
:(

: Stick with Mesa now, which is nearly fully OpenGL compatible and once XFree
: incorporates OpenGL into their server then switch to that.

: Another, expensive, option is an Xserver from XiGraphics (http://www.xi.com),
: for which you can get OpenGL hardware support.

Thanks, but the link is timing out for me now.  I'll try again later.
Strange as it may seem, this might be a real possibility.  I'll
check it out later.
: HTH,

: JJ

: ----------------------------------------------------------
:                *NOTE*
:    My Email return address is not correct
:     in order to avoid mass mailings...
:      These are the correct addresses
:      (but with dashes between all letters):

:   Jan Just (JJ) Keijser
:   Unix Support Engineer / Configuration Manager
:   Logica Inc. - Lexington MA

:   SMTP: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

:   Just to confuse some of those junkmailers:
:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

:   A TRUE Klingon warrior does not comment his code!
:   My views are my own...
:                   flames > /dev/null 2>&1
: ----------------------------------------------------------

--
No SPAM or email wholly without substance please
[EMAIL PROTECTED],not.spam

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (kingman cheung)
Subject: Re: Problem loading modules with kernel 2.2.2 and modutils 2.1.121
Date: 3 Mar 1999 23:43:15 -0800

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Mark Sutton  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Walter Hunt wrote:
>>
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>         Mark Sutton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> > Howdy,
>> >
>> >     [snip]
>>
>> > Here is the problem:
>> >
>> > When I try to load any modular driver, either with kerneld, or
>> > manually using insmod, the following error is produced:
>> >
>> >   insmod: error in loading shared libraries
>> >  : undefined symbol: __bzero.

Similar things happened to me also.  There are a few version of
modutils-2.1.121-*rpm.  The size of the files are different and some
are without the insmod.static.  I tried a few of them, and one time
with the one without insmod.static I was in big trouble.  This is because
if the SCSI module needs a statically-linked insmod to insert itself into
the kernel before anything on the disk can be used.  (With the SCSI as
part of the kernel should have no problem of this kind.)
So should try some of these moduitls*rpm to see which one fits best.
--
kingman

------------------------------

From: Mark Hahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: X Windows Graphics programing
Date: 3 Mar 1999 17:24:36 GMT

> The X Toolkit Cookbook by Paul E. Kimball:

the "X Toolkit" is an abomination; programming Xlib directly
will save you a lot of grief, bugs, memory, cpu time, etc.

------------------------------

From: Greg Herlein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.programmer
Subject: glibc dangling pointer?
Date: 3 Mar 1999 19:24:32 GMT

I am having a problem: I get a core dump if I link my app to ccmalloc (a
leak checker).  ccmalloc has worked on my older Linux boxes, and it works
fine on Solaris, but on either of two Red Hat 5.2 boxes (stock) it fails
the same way.  It almost smells like there is a glibc issue here, but I'm
not smart enough about that kind of thing to know - hence this post.

Here is the gdb stack trace:

Reading symbols from /lib/libdl.so.2...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.6...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/ld-linux.so.2...done.
#0  0x4002e811 in __kill ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x4002e811 in __kill ()
#1  0x809c246 in die () at callchain.c:517
#2  0x80a056d in _ccmalloc_free (_data=0x832ec80) at callchain.c:4676
#3  0x80a074e in ccmalloc_free (_data=0x832ec80) at callchain.c:4847
#4  0x809c098 in free (p=0x832ec80) at wrapper.c:391
#5  0x4006af71 in __tzfile_read (file=0x400a2194 "/etc/localtime")
    at tzfile.c:97
#6  0x4006a083 in tzset_internal (always=1) at tzset.c:204
#7  0x4006ae1c in __tz_convert (timer=0xbffff93c, use_localtime=1,
    tp=0x400a6910) at tzset.c:617
#8  0x40067742 in localtime (t=0xbffff93c) at localtime.c:48
#9  0x40067619 in ctime (t=0xbffff93c) at ctime.c:32
#10 0x804a0bc in PrintIntroduction (pf=0x80f67d8) at iserver.c:368
#11 0x8049d8b in main (argc=1, argv=0xbffffa70) at iserver.c:185

Does this make sense at all?  Why die in kill()???  I might add that if I
don't link ccmalloc to it, it runs fine.  I just want to chase down any
memory leaks!

I have reported this to the author of ccmalloc (Armin Biere
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) and he said that he suspected glibc.  I would tend to
agree since it does not happen on a stock SOlaris machine.

Help!  I want to use Linux with ccmalloc and this is killing me!
Any ideas?

Greg Herlein                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Herlein Engineering                             www.herlein.com

From: "Thierry BUCCO" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cdrom capacity ?
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 21:48:41 +0100

Hi,

I would like to know, when i put a blank cd in my cdrecorder, his capacity,
because cd haven't the same capacity. (the value must be exact)

So i tried to send a scsi command (cdrom capacity 0x25), but it doesn't
work.

Maybe does exist a ioctl command or other, to perform this.

Thanks for your help.

Thierry - FRANCE

From: "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Any advantage to 2 swap partitions ?
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 13:49:38 -0600

The newer IDE controllers with UDMA handle two-way simultaneous
communications on the same channel.  PIIX4 I believe.  It was advertised as
a supported feature with Windows 98.  There was an add-on piece for
Win95OSR2 and WinNT4 supports it for most controllers.