From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Miquel van Smoorenburg)
Subject: Re: NIS in glibc2: just how buggy is it?
Date: 15 Mar 1999 13:29:57 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Robert J. Budzynski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Thorsten Kukuk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>[ snip ]
>>
>> Ok, I understand correct: login works for NIS user, telnet works
>> for NIS user, but not xdm ? Then it is a xdm problem, not a glibc
>> problem. Maybe your xdm is a libc.so.5 binary, or it uses PAM ?
>>

>Neither.  I don't think xdm has its own code for NIS lookups, it must
>be calling glibc functions.  It _is_ linked against glibc2.  It may

It still sounds like a xdm problem. I think you have a shadow
password system, but don't use a NIS shadow map, and xdm doesn't
handle that properly .. am I right?

Mike.
--
Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M Sweger)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: The multi-billion $ Linux market
Date: 15 Mar 1999 12:27:47 GMT

maestro ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: James Kelley wrote:
:   [huge snip]

: I see your point, and have had similar thoughts
: myself. I see huge potential for Linux where
: the OS is supported and written by all, and we
: all make our monies from the applications and /
: or hardware. (The $ does run the show, folks!)

: The trouble (or the good?) of Linux is just the
: lack of organizing outside small communities
: and groups of volenteers.

: but at the present state, I'm reluctant. The
: future of Linux looks .... somewhat chaotic.

One thing that is apparent is that there is alot of duplication with the
free s/w. This only confuses the less-technical person in terms of which
free app to install - particularily the unix utilities. Right now alot
of the free utilities overwrite each other depending on ethe s/w package the
originally came from. I.E. hostname from shutils v116 and nettoolsv1.50,
uptime from shutils v116 and procps v1.2.9 etc.

Perhaps what is needed is something similar tot what was the
X consortium of s/w developers. For the Linux communit, this would be
the different facets of s/w development such as OS', Web, Graphics,
performance and scientific, Offic apps, DBMS' and so on.
Once there is an organized group for each area of s/w technology, only
then will the duplication and rate of free s/w development rapidly
increase and catch up.

--
        Mike,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Patrick Zwahlen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Help with NFS needed
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 13:22:49 +0000

Hi there...

I'm currently working on a very simplified NFS server in Java, which
will not really be an common NFS server, but which will use the NFS
protocol to share a web tree (I know, it's not really clear ;-)

I would really need some help and some explanations on the way the linux
NFS server is handling the file handles and the cookies on directory
listings. So could you point me to a maybe more specific mailing list,
or directly to somebody who may help me (already tried Olaf, but still
no answer.......)

Many thanks in advance, and best regards...          - Patrick -
--
Patrick Zwahlen                    E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
IBM Zurich Research Laboratory     Phone:  +41 (0)1-724-8944

------------------------------

From: Larry Mulcahy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: After Week 1 With Linux -- licking wounds.
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.questions
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 13:36:47 GMT

There's a price to the power you get with Unix.  Companies like
Microsoft will tell you, "we give you a user-friendly front end to
exploit the full power of your hardware", but it's a lie.  To have full
control over your system, you need the ability to do things the OS
implementers never thought of.  There is no substitute for understanding
what you are doing.  Microsoft ultimately does you a disservice by
trying to insulate you from the need to understand what is going on
behind the scenes.  You have taken the first step on the path to
liberation.

Having said that, Linux has come a long way.  It takes me about 90
minutes to do Red Hat 5.2 installs at work, including configuring X and
the network card and doing the DNS, NIS and automounter stuff to
customize the box for our site.  For comparison, SGI Irix takes about 3
hours.  My first XFree86 install involved editing XF86Config by hand
working from the XF86Config man page, a text file of VGA cards and a
text file of monitors.  Now Xconfigurator gets it right most of the
time.  Expect continuing improvements in the user-friendly interface,
but remember that dependence on this stuff weakens you.

--
Larry Mulcahy           [EMAIL PROTECTED]        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.nyx.net/~lmulcahy/   http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Zone/9653/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Phil Howard)
Subject: Re: how to load ram disk from LILO?
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 09:56:53 GMT

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 07:17:12 +0000 Bryan Hackney ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

| Phil Howard wrote:
| >
| > This seems to be mentioned in the initrd document, but not actually said
| > in the lilo document.  How do you specify the ram disk image to be loaded
| > by LILO at boot time?
| >
| > I have boot Linux with LILO using a CD with LILO and kernel on a floppy
| > image made bootable in the CD (El Torito).  But I need to get the ram disk
| > filled in, too, before linuxrc or init starts.
|
| I'm sure I could answer your question if I understood it, which I don't.
|
| Initrd *IS* the ramdisk image. If /initrd exists on your root partition,
| it stays mounted.

It seems there is a special device b,1,250 usually named /dev/initrd, which
maps to where the boot loader puts the initrd image.  The kernel apparently
"converts it" (whatever that means) to a real ramdisk at b,1,1 usually named
either /dev/ram or /dev/ram1.

It appears that LILO is failing to get the initrd image into /dev/initrd,
or else something prevents the kernel from correctly getting it converted
into /dev/ram.  It's coming up unmountable.

As a couple people have suggested, I've tried syslinux.  Success!  It does
get the ramdisk loaded correctly.

| You can set up other ramdisks, either from linuxrc or from some stage in your
| boot sequence, or later.
|
| Please clarify your question, and I'll be more specific if possible.

The original question was really asking what the option was.  The option
turns out to be "initrd=<filepath>".  The document on initrd in the kernel
source tree suggested INITRD (gave it as upper case) variable.  It did not
say this was a kernel initialization string, but due to the way it was
expressed, suggested something else like an environment variable.  Further,
since I knew that the kernel has no sense of devices file NAMES before any
filesystem is mounted ... e.g. it deals with them as major.minor devices,
then it didn't "make sense" that one would pass a file NAME to the kernel
to identify something which needed a special file to resolve.  But I guess
the kernel has some magic way of doing that anyway ... so not I'm not so
sure we really need all those specials in /dev.

Anyway, the ultimate answer is, for this stuff, lilo is too much of a pain
(and possibly not even usable), and one should use syslinux instead.  Once
I got past the lack of /dev/ram support in syslinux (using loopback instead),
then things worked out OK and I have my first homegrown bootable rescue CD.

Now for bigger projects with bootable CDs.

--
 --    *-----------------------------*      Phil Howard KA9WGN       *    --
  --   | Inturnet, Inc.              | Director of Internet Services |   --

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Caolan (McNamara))
Subject: Re: Device Driver...what for?
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 14:29:38 GMT

David L. Bilbey ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I have recently become interested in writing device drivers, and I know what I have
:to do
: (thanks to several posts on this ng) to learn how.  My problem is, I don't know what
: device I could write a driver for.  Everything I own is supported.  I would kind of
:like
: to write a driver for some kind of unique unsupported input device (just a thought).
: Any
: ideas?

: bilbey

: --
: "One of the bad things about panning for gold is maybe sometimes you'll
: get a crawdaddy in your pan, and you start to wonder if you should give up
: on the gold and just go for crawdaddies.  I can't make that decision for
: you."  --Jack Handey

Computer Based Telephony cards, theres a large lack of supported cards
in this area. On one project that im involved in we had to reccomend
using solaris rather that linux because there was no support for any
cbt cards.

C.

--
Real Life: Caolan McNamara           *  Doing: MSc in HCI
Work: [EMAIL PROTECTED]          *  Phone: +353-61-202699

------------------------------

From: "Arthur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.society.underwear,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.sys.amiga.hardware,fr.rec.voyages
Subject: Re: PROOF: Jesus *is* Lord of the Sabbath!
Date: 15 Mar 1999 15:44:19 GMT

Hi,

Pablo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

> Clinton likes Canadian women.  I think he considers woman to be bacon.
> He has done a lot of good for the country so is he going to heaven or
> hell?

For *the* country. Which country ?
We are not all yanks ya know :-)

Denty.

------------------------------

From: Mike Demeter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.misc,linux.dev.kernel,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: unresolved __bzero (cannot load shared library) while using insmod
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 16:13:46 GMT

Marc Teutelink wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem running insmod or depmod. I keep getting the error:
>
>     unresolved symbol (__bzero): cannot load shared library.
>
> People tell me it is a glibc version problem. Is that correct. Did someone
> experience this before. My system is a mandrake 5.3 upgraded to 2.2.1. I
> installed all necessary packages before.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Marc teutelink (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])

Look in your /sbin directory for insmod.static. The regular insmod supplied
by mandrake would not work on my system either...but insmod.static worked
fine.  The insmod package must be compiled against 2.x headers for it to
operate correctly...

Mike

------------------------------

From: r d t@c s.q u e e n s u.c a (Bob Tennent)
Subject: Re: Panasonic Printer Driver for Linux
Date: 15 Mar 1999 12:56:22 GMT

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 07:43:07 GMT, Ronald Simbarashe Mugamu wrote:

 >How do I write a device driver for a Panasonic KX-P6100 6ppm laser
 >printer? Help me! It's the only thing stopping me from migrating
 >permanently to Linux.

This is described as being a paperweight in

http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/current/pht-4.html

presumably because the specs are proprietary.  Yet other Panasonic
printers (KX-6500, KX-5400) are described as partially or perfectly
supported.

Bob T.

------------------------------

From: Tim Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.questions
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 12:59:15 -0600

"Rupert K. Snoopowitz" wrote:

> David M. Cook ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) swallowed a lutefisk whole and belched:
> > On Sat, 13 Mar 1999 13:53:23 -0600, Rupert K. Snoopowitz
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > >But Unix is not a modern OS.
> >
> > This fetish for modernity is starting to grate on my nerves.  It's simply a
> > fact that Linux outperforms NT is many situations.  I don't know enough to
> > say whether NT is better designed than Linux, but if so it's quite obvious
> > that Microsoft didn't follow through very well in their implementation.
>
> Unix is not a modern OS, imho, because of its reliance on a command-line
> interface and the fact that the thinking that went into designing the
> whole idea of the Unix human interface is 20 years old -- the age of
> mainframes, before PC's were to come on the scene.

Look, the cli has it's place.  For those that bother to learn it is is a
more efficient and powerful way of computing (you tell the computer what
to do instead of it asking you what you want).
The CLI is an experts interface, but it is NOT PRIMITIVE.  If I hear the
"cli is primitive" shit anymore I'm going postal.

> Yes, I know about X-Windows.  It is NOT a good GUI. ( ... A relative concept, I
>know.)

X is NOT A GUI!!!  FVWM is a GUI, WindowMaker is a GUI, GNOME is a GUI
... X is just a windowing system.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Darren Winsper)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.questions
Date: 15 Mar 1999 18:58:01 GMT

Jeff Szarka wrote:
> Maybe linux can adopt the MS style password encryption and we can have
> the best of both worlds.

Go take a look at SuSE linux.

--
Darren Winsper
"Microsoft says, "Oh, you've got a brain?  Well, you won't need it as

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vincent Lai)
Subject: Mount 640M MO problem.
Date: 15 Mar 1999 16:01:40 GMT

 I can't mount the 640M MO ....Can anyone help.

        I am using Redhat 5.2 kernal 2.0.36...
        I have saw the howto on hardware and it say that I need to
download
a patch in order to support 2048 block size..

        But after I download the patch and run under /usr/src/linux

           patch -p1 < 2048dif-2.0.36

        It got the following error::

patching file `drivers/scsi/scsicam.c'
Hunk #1 FAILED at 48.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to drivers/scsi/scsicam.c.rej

        Do you have experience on it??
        Anyone can help.....??

* Vincent Lai (Lai Chun Yu)                      |     賴振宇(燦記) *
* Computer Science of                   Year 1/3 |     計算機科學系 *
* Chinese University of Hong Kong                |     香港中文大學 *
* email address : [EMAIL PROTECTED] (recommended)        NA 新亞人   *
*                 / [EMAIL PROTECTED]                        *
* pager no : (852) 7707 2909     hostel: 26036335 Call Rm.123       *

        ^~ ~~ ^
      / / ^ \ \ \   .___________________.
       | _   _ |    |                   |
      { (@)-(@) }   | I am Vincent !!!  |
       |   L   |    | __________________|
        \ \_/ /     |/
         \___/
 .signature V1.00 1995

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Daley)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: dlopen() Segfaults - glibc 2.0.7pre6
Date: 15 Mar 1999 16:11:11 GMT

I have been having problems getting dlopen to work on a linux system.

Program:

#include <dlfcn.h>

main () {
        void *dh;

        dh = dlopen("/lib/libc-2.0.7.so", RTLD_NOW);
        if (dh) {
                printf ("dlopen worked\n");
        } else {
                printf ("dlopen FAILED\n");
        }
}

$ ldd dlopen
        libdl.so.1 => /lib/libdl.so.1 (0x40003000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40006000)

First I had gcc-2.8.1 and glibc-2.0.6 and dlopen() got a Segfault.
I figured that the library was bad and switched to glibc-2.0.7pre6,
same result.
I built egcs-1.1.1 and then rebuilt glibc-2.0.7pre6, same result.

I used the same egcs and glibc sources on my home system and the program
works!

What else is involved here?
I'll start tracking the problem with gdb, but thought I'd see if anyone
has seen this or has some suggestions.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.questions
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 15:23:41 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff Szarka) writes:

>The other thing that annoyed me about linux was the way windows went
>off the screen, making it impossible to close them or move them.
>Really user friendly, i'm forced to kill netscape by hand just because
>it's way up in the corner and I can't move it down to close it.

Most window manager (setups) include a selection of "Window Operations"
in some popup menu. Select "Move" and just move the window any way you want.

Bernie
"It's a magical world, Hobbes ol' buddy...
                                           ...let's go exploring"
Calvin's final words, on December 31st, 1995

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.questions
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 12:38:51 -0800

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 13:48:35 -0600, Rupert K. Snoopowitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>Tim Kelley ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) swallowed a lutefisk whole and belched:
>>

>> "Rupert K. Snoopowitz" wrote:
>> >
>> > David M. Cook ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) swallowed a lutefisk whole and belched:

>> > Unix is not a modern OS, imho, because of its reliance on a command-line
>> > interface and the fact that the thinking that went into designing the
>> > whole idea of the Unix human interface is 20 years old -- the age of
>> > mainframes, before PC's were to come on the scene.
>>
>> Look, the cli has it's place.  For those that bother to learn it is is a
>> more efficient and powerful way of computing (you tell the computer what
>> to do instead of it asking you what you want).
>> The CLI is an experts interface, but it is NOT PRIMITIVE.  If I hear the
>> "cli is primitive" shit anymore I'm going postal.
>
>The CLI is primative.  This has been proven years ago with the Mac and
>its resulting copy-cat of Windows.  Now, please go postal and stop
>threatening.

        Until explorer decides to get some form of filtering in
        it's file browsing, IT is the primitive interface.

[deletia]

        There is nothing intrisically advanced about limiting
        the features of an interface that mere mortals have
        access to.

--

  "I was not elected to watch my people suffer and die     |||
   while you discuss this a invasion in committe."        / | \

        In search of sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com