Linux-Development-Sys Digest #505, Volume #6     Thu, 18 Mar 99 17:14:42 EST

Contents:
  gcc problems (MBach25631)
  help with dsp programming... (Patrick Heinemann)
  Re: After Week 1 With Linux -- licking wounds. ("[EMAIL PROTECTED]")
  Re: select_wait (Wlmet)
  Re: Dynamic Shared Objects (Erwin S. Andreasen)
  Re: After Week 1 With Linux -- licking wounds. (Darren Winsper)
  Re: Barclays Internet banking under Linux? (how to change uname()) (Jonathan
Thackray)
  How to Make a bootable MO disk. (Vincent Lai)
  New Kernel not booting (Bill Anderson)
  Re: Barclays Internet banking under Linux? (how to change uname()) (Ian Dickson)
  Re: Barclays Internet banking under Linux? (how to change uname()) (Adam P. Jenkins)
  How do you get drivers for ATI Pro Rage AGP? ("Ampem Darko")
  Diskless booting in 2.2.3 (Petter Reinholdtsen)
  Re: After Week 1 With Linux -- licking wounds. (znu)
  Re: After Week 1 With Linux -- licking wounds. (Rupert K. Snoopowitz)
  Re: After Week 1 With Linux -- licking wounds. (Bill Anderson)
  Re: After Week 1 With Linux -- licking wounds. (jedi)
  Re: Gdb debugger on redhat5.2 (Juergen Heinzl)
  Re: Barclays Internet banking under Linux? (how to change uname()) (Robin Becker)
  Re: Barclays Internet banking under Linux? (how to change uname()) (Edward Smyth)
  Re: After Week 1 With Linux -- licking wounds. (Glen Parker)
  thread scheduling (Motoko Kusanagi)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (MBach25631)
Subject: gcc problems
Date: 18 Mar 1999 17:31:19 GMT

Hello all!

I'm lurking in this group for some time now, hoping to find some input
concerning
the gcc compiler.
I'm a Mac convert  and would like to do some programming under Linux' CLI but
I don't know where to start. I am used having an integrated development
environment
( CodeWarrior ) where working with files and making/ linking of programs  is
quite comfortable
a thing to do.
Using Linux however, I'm facing difficulties. Is there any good  i.e.
comprehensive tutorial
on the gcc compiler including the binutils and the debugger apart from the info
files?

Any link greatly appreciated
Martin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Patrick Heinemann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: help with dsp programming...
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 18:25:42 +0100

Hi,

my question is about programming the /dev/dsp device with the open,
close, read, and write commands.

I am currently working on a project that should be able to handle
several subsequent play commands, i.e. it should queue up all the
buffers it has to play and play them one after the other.
I am doing this by just calling the function write for each play command
and it works.
My problem is, I have to control or at least to know when each buffer
starts to play (i.e. when the dsp device starts to play the samples in
the buffer) and when it stops playing to control my own queue.
Is there any way to get feedback from the dsp? Or is there a way to make
the calling program stop until the write command finished, as it does
with the read command?

Patrick
Patrick Heinemann               http://www.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~heineman
Student der Technoinformatik    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Universität Kaiserslautern      Tel.: +49 631 10492

"The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because
 the average man can see better than he can think."
                                                        Steven Wright

------------------------------

From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: After Week 1 With Linux -- licking wounds.
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 17:42:27 GMT

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 13:48:35 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Rupert K. Snoopowitz) wrote:

>The CLI is primative.  This has been proven years ago with the Mac and
>its resulting copy-cat of Windows.  Now, please go postal and stop
>threatening.

I suspect "Rupert K. Snoopowitz" is an enormous TROLL that
suckles at the teat of Micropoof and is just yanking peoples
chains. Wank, wank.

>Stop nit-picking on technicalities, you know damned well exactly what I
>meant.

Oh brother....

"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he didn't received his check from
MicroHoney because of a system crash.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wlmet)
Subject: Re: select_wait
Date: 17 Mar 1999 22:05:07 GMT

Forget about my last message, the code suddenly made sense.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Erwin S. Andreasen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Dynamic Shared Objects
Date: 18 Mar 1999 13:04:13 GMT

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999 14:05:32 +0100, D. Emilio Grimaldo Tunon
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> You are missing -rdynamic (in the linking stage of the main program!) which
>> is necessary on some platforms[1] to allow shared objects that are loaded
>> access to the main program's symbols.

> Thanks to all for the useful responses, I have been experimenting
>with it and and noticed that ld -rdynamic simply creates a huge
>file but not an executable, so -rdynamic has to be used with gcc
>which makes things fuzzy as ld is supposed to be the linker called
>by gcc.

Yeah, it was linking with gcc I meant - I have never had the need (under
Linux) to use ld directly.

-rdynamic switch to gcc adds -export-dynamic to linker flags.

I have no idea where I found about about the -rdynamic flag.. but you can
get a bit out of reading the specs file for the compiler, which is
in /usr/lib/gcc-lib/$PLATFORM/$VERSION:

*link:
-m elf_i386 %{shared:-shared}   %{!shared:     %{!ibcs:       %{!static:
%{rdynamic:-export-dynamic}     %{!dynamic-linker:-dynamic-linker
/lib/ld-linux.so.1}}  %{static:-static}}}

if rdynamic is set, then -export-dynamic is added to linker flags (but
only if static is not set nor is ibcs nor is shared).

Oh - the comp.unix.programmer FAQ describes this too in some more depth (
especially for other non-Linux platforms).

Erwin Andreasen   Herlev, Denmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>          UNIX System Programmer
<URL:http://www.andreasen.org>              <*>         (not speaking for) DDE

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Darren Winsper)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.questions
Date: 18 Mar 1999 18:02:05 GMT

Raffael Cavallaro wrote:
> CLIs are for _power and flexibility_. They are _not_ for typical user
> productivity. Period. Anyone who would argue otherwise is living in a
> geek's fantasy world, where the typical user doesn't mind compiling
> software in order to install it ("compiler? - isn't that the thing
> attached to the xerox machine?").

However, the user need-not know that they are compiling software.  When
installing AfterStep on my machine, all I did was decompress the archive
and run "./install-script".

--
Darren Winsper
"Microsoft says, "Oh, you've got a brain?  Well, you won't need it as

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonathan Thackray)
Crossposted-To: uk.finance,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Barclays Internet banking under Linux? (how to change uname())
Date: 18 Mar 1999 16:58:47 -0000

>No! Phone up and say you are a Linux user, make your voice heard.

I did complain when they phoned me a month ago to ask if I was
satisfied. Actually, it turned out to be easier than I thought -
I just copied the final bit of HTML to http://jon.thackray.org/ib.html
and (as I suspected) it works fine under Linux (hurrah for Java!
yah-boo-sucks to ActiveX and Microsoft)

But they ought to provide a link which says 'Click here to use at
your own risk' if they can't be bothered to support every platform.
At least it's not ActiveX like some other mis-guided corporates use.

Thanks for all your responses...

Jon (happy again :-)

--
// Jon Thackray      ._o
// Cambridge        / //\.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vincent Lai)
Subject: How to Make a bootable MO disk.
Date: 18 Mar 1999 17:45:09 GMT

        Can anyone tell me how to make a bootable MO disk in Linux?
        Thx.

From: Bill Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: New Kernel not booting
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 16:48:30 +0000

After installing a new drive (old one dying) last night, and recompiling
the kernel to 2.2.1, it doesn't want to boot.
When I get through lilo, it says "Ok, booting the kernel" and stays
there.
Before the old HD failed. 2.2.1 was working on this system, as does
booting into 2.0.36.

Any Ideas?

Bill

------------------------------

From: Ian Dickson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.finance,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 19:14:26 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Edward Smyth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes

>It's time website designers realized that people do use computers
>other than Windows.  Non-portable stuff such as Shockwave and
>non-portable uses of Java/JavaScript should therefore be avoided.

Some of us do.

So we have built applets with Java Studio (all beans no coding,
luverely)

I use Netscape. All works fine.

I try to run them in IE and IE announces error java.lang.NoClassDefFound

If this keeps up I'll start believing in Big Bad Bill
alt.yet.another.conspiracy
--
Ian Dickson       Moneyweb - http://www.moneyweb.co.uk    01242 680151
       Find your Local IFA.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: uk.finance,uk.comp.os.linux
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Adam P. Jenkins)
Date: 18 Mar 1999 14:58:10 -0500

Edward Smyth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Jon Thackray wrote:
> > Or has anyone written any binary patches, or libc
> > hacks to make uname() return 'Windows 95', not 'Linux i586'?
> >

> I understand your problem but changing the output from uname is
> not the answer. There is no good reason why Barclays internet banking,
> or any other such service, should need to check what OS is being used.
> The fault is theirs and messing up uname will only break software that
> does need to know what OS it is running on.

It's true that ultimately the bank should fix this, but in the mean
time, if changing uname() would really fix the problem, this should be
easy to do so that it only affects netscape.  Simply put your modified
version of uname in a shared library, and use LD_PRELOAD to get
netscape to use your version of uname instead of the libc version.
Email me if you don't know how to do this.

Adam

--
Adam P. Jenkins
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Ampem Darko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How do you get drivers for ATI Pro Rage AGP?
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 20:07:03 -0000

Ive got an aTI Pro Rage AGP Graphics card,

How do i set up linux to use it with X11?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Petter Reinholdtsen)
Subject: Diskless booting in 2.2.3
Date: 18 Mar 1999 17:23:41 GMT

I've been trying to get diskless booting running using kernel 2.2.3.  No
success.

I start the kernel with 'root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=<host>:<path-to-root>'. It
do the BOOTP handshake to get it's IP number, and then crashes with

  VFS: Cannot open root device 00:00
  Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:00

Has anything changed lately?  Documentation/nfsroot.txt don't seem up
to date.

Any clues?
--
##>  Petter Reinholdtsen  <##  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (znu)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 11:39:26 -0500

(jedi) wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Mar 1999 00:36:04 -0500, znu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >(jedi) wrote:
> >
> >[snip]
> >
> >>         The functionality you stated did not address his needs exactly.
> >>
> >>         THAT's the problem with systems that depend on the developer
> >>         having thought out everything that might ever be needed before-
> >>         hand instead of giving the user some simple manner in which to
> >>         build their own tools from simple smaller ones.
> >>
> >>         Until GUI's deliver facilities of that kind, they will never
> >>         be 'powerful'.
> >
> >OK then, in MacOS X Server
>
>         Or just do the same in any Unix runing Gnome or KDE...

Of course, I know this quite well. How ever, IMO, the GUI in MacOS X
Server is the best GUI ever developed for a Unix-like OS.

--
See the Macinfosource page: http://idt.net/~znu/macinfosource/index.html
znu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rupert K. Snoopowitz)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.questions
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 11:58:17 -0600

"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" ("[EMAIL PROTECTED]") swallowed a
lutefisk whole and belched:
> On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 13:48:35 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> (Rupert K. Snoopowitz) wrote:
>
> >The CLI is primative.  This has been proven years ago with the Mac and
> >its resulting copy-cat of Windows.  Now, please go postal and stop
> >threatening.
>
> I suspect "Rupert K. Snoopowitz" is an enormous TROLL that
> suckles at the teat of Micropoof and is just yanking peoples
> chains. Wank, wank.

I was trying to be civil, but-- Read the friggin thread, idiot.

Just because someone might have ideas and opinions which might conflict
with yours regarding an OS (big shock), does not qualify them as a
bonafide troll.

> >Stop nit-picking on technicalities, you know damned well exactly what I
> >meant.
>
> Oh brother....
>
> "Oh bother", said Pooh, as he didn't received his check from
> MicroHoney because of a system crash.

Okay, I am flip-flopping:

If there is any one single cause that will hinder Linux's growth and
acceptability over M$, it is the population of self-righteous morons in
linux.advocacy and their attitudes of "if you don't agree with me 100%
then you are obviously an idiot troll in love with Microsquish and I will
insult you and flame you to the best of my ability"

------------------------------

From: Bill Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.questions
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 19:40:27 +0000

"Rupert K. Snoopowitz" wrote:

> "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" ("[EMAIL PROTECTED]") swallowed a
> lutefisk whole and belched:
> > On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 13:48:35 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > (Rupert K. Snoopowitz) wrote:
> >
> > >The CLI is primative.  This has been proven years ago with the Mac and
> > >its resulting copy-cat of Windows.  Now, please go postal and stop
> > >threatening.
> >
> > I suspect "Rupert K. Snoopowitz" is an enormous TROLL that
> > suckles at the teat of Micropoof and is just yanking peoples
> > chains. Wank, wank.
>
> I was trying to be civil, but-- Read the friggin thread, idiot.
>
> Just because someone might have ideas and opinions which might conflict
> with yours regarding an OS (big shock), does not qualify them as a
> bonafide troll.

Pardon me, but I read "I suspect .." as the poster expressing a
suspicion, not making a claim of a bonafide troll-discovery ...

> > >Stop nit-picking on technicalities, you know damned well exactly what I
> > >meant.
> >
> > Oh brother....
> >
> > "Oh bother", said Pooh, as he didn't received his check from
> > MicroHoney because of a system crash.
>
> Okay, I am flip-flopping:
>
> If there is any one single cause that will hinder Linux's growth and
> acceptability over M$, it is the population of self-righteous morons in
> linux.advocacy and their attitudes of "if you don't agree with me 100%
> then you are obviously an idiot troll in love with Microsquish and I will
> insult you and flame you to the best of my ability"

Doubtfull, as the counterparts in the M$land have not hampered M$'s
growth. ;-)

Thinkin-all-os-advocacy-nuts-should-play-devil's-advocate-for-a-while-ly
y'rs
Bill

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.questions
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 11:06:21 -0800

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999 11:58:17 -0600, Rupert K. Snoopowitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" ("[EMAIL PROTECTED]") swallowed a
>lutefisk whole and belched:
>> On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 13:48:35 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> (Rupert K. Snoopowitz) wrote:
>>
>> >The CLI is primative.  This has been proven years ago with the Mac and
>> >its resulting copy-cat of Windows.  Now, please go postal and stop
>> >threatening.
>>
>> I suspect "Rupert K. Snoopowitz" is an enormous TROLL that
>> suckles at the teat of Micropoof and is just yanking peoples
>> chains. Wank, wank.
>
>I was trying to be civil, but-- Read the friggin thread, idiot.
>
>Just because someone might have ideas and opinions which might conflict
>with yours regarding an OS (big shock), does not qualify them as a
>bonafide troll.

        It's not an OS. It's a user interface. This alone
        is enough to clue in the rest of us that you have
        none (clues that is) or are just trying to be
        inflammatory. The trollishness looks the same either
        way.

[deletia]

--

  "I was not elected to watch my people suffer and die     |||
   while you discuss this a invasion in committe."        / | \

        In search of sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl)
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Gdb debugger on redhat5.2
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 21:20:10 GMT

In article <7cptok$52b$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Brent wrote:
>I seem to be having some trouble with the gdb debugger on redhat5.2. The
>problem is when I step through a program gdb says that it can't find the
>file ../sysdeps/generic/printf.c:31 &
>../sysdeps/generic/strcmp.c:32
>I compile the programs using gcc -g -O0, and it happens even with a fresh
>install of redhat. It also makes no difference what kernel I use.

Sure ... it is looking for the library source files and if you do not
have them around ...

>Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Not a bug, a feature.

Cheers,
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Jürgen Heinzl                 \       no flames      /
 \ EMail Private : [EMAIL PROTECTED] \ send money instead /

------------------------------

From: Robin Becker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.finance,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 16:35:49 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jonathan Buzzard
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

>Jon Thackray wrote:
>>
>> So Barclays Internet banking, until today, worked fine under Linux.
>> It's a Java applet, runs everywhere, what's the problem?
>>

>I presume you have being using my jump site at
>
>    http://www2.prestel.co.uk/hex/barclays.html
>
>> But now they've gone and souped up their browser checks, d'oh! I
>> really wish Netscape et al hadn't added operating system versions to
>> their User-Agent strings, it just breaks everything.
>> Does anyone have any idea how to fix this lossage?
>
>A quick look at their site shows that they have souped down their
>checks! If I was a Mac owner I would be well anoyed as they are
>now also blocked, as are Win16 users!
>

>> I think the checks are done using JavaScript (not User-Agent), in
>> which case, does anyone know if Mozilla 5.0 allows the user to change
>> these variables? Or has anyone written any binary patches, or libc
>> hacks to make uname() return 'Windows 95', not 'Linux i586'?
>
>This is the check function
>
>function isWin32()
>{
>    var agt=navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase();
>        return(agt.indexOf("win32")!=-1);
>}
>
>You could try saving http://ibweb.barclays.co.uk/home.htm to file
>and mugging their check function. If the last lot of check functions
>are anything to go by this will be as far as the check goes.
>

>> D'oh, it's all so broken. Why is everyone so clueless?
>> Any ideas gratefully received.... (alternatively, does anyone at
>> barclays.co.uk who reads USENET want to tell me how to make it
>> work again?)
>>

>I will take a look at it tonight when I get home from work. I would
>expect to be able to get it working again and will be anoyed if I
>can't. Personally I would ring up pretending to be a Mac user
>and play holy war.
>
>JAB.

Who do we email inside Barclays? MD's are good, but an IT head would do.
--
Robin Becker

------------------------------

From: Edward Smyth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.finance,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 13:48:16 +0000

Jon Thackray wrote:

> So Barclays Internet banking, until today, worked fine under Linux.
> It's a Java applet, runs everywhere, what's the problem?
>
> But now they've gone and souped up their browser checks, d'oh! I
> really wish Netscape et al hadn't added operating system versions to
> their User-Agent strings, it just breaks everything.
> Does anyone have any idea how to fix this lossage?
>
> I think the checks are done using JavaScript (not User-Agent), in
> which case, does anyone know if Mozilla 5.0 allows the user to change
> these variables? Or has anyone written any binary patches, or libc
> hacks to make uname() return 'Windows 95', not 'Linux i586'?

I understand your problem but changing the output from uname is
not the answer. There is no good reason why Barclays internet banking,
or any other such service, should need to check what OS is being used.
The fault is theirs and messing up uname will only break software that
does need to know what OS it is running on.

It's time website designers realized that people do use computers
other than Windows.  Non-portable stuff such as Shockwave and
non-portable uses of Java/JavaScript should therefore be avoided.

Edward Smyth

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 13:53:28 -0800
From: Glen Parker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.questions

> If there is any one single cause that will hinder Linux's growth and
> acceptability over M$, it is the population of self-righteous morons in
> linux.advocacy and their attitudes of "if you don't agree with me 100%
> then you are obviously an idiot troll in love with Microsquish and I will
> insult you and flame you to the best of my ability"

Oh, and there isn't anybody like that in the windows advocacy groups?
I've heard shit like "Windows NT is robust", "Windows is reliable", "You
have cheap memory" quite a few times from windows advocates. It usually
makes me laugh, but sometimes it pisses me off.  Those are just plain
lies!  If that stuff is true, then why has the old Packard Bell that
used to crash under NT once a week at least, been up for 80 days under
Linux?

>From what I've seem, advocates are advocates, but Linux advocates
usually don't come right out and lie.

Glen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Motoko Kusanagi)
Subject: thread scheduling
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 21:55:38 GMT

Hi,

i'm working on a project for my operating systems class, where we
attempt to emulate a unix-like system in software. Processes are
represented in multiple threads and the entire OS runs as a single
UNIX process.  It uses UNIX text file to simulate a file system.

I was wondering if someone could point out to me several priority
based scheduling algorithms to schedule threads within my program.
There are a few threads that handle networking and interprocess
communication that run all the time and need to be given higher
priority then user "processes".  But i don't want them to hog up all
the cycles.  especially things like FTP daemon.

If you could reply by e-mail i would be much obliged.

Thanks in advance.

Max Vaysburd.