From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Subject: Re: Linux Servers, what to buy?
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 23:47:39 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>If anyone has some other suggestions for an economical
>>Linux server please respond!  =)
>
>check out http://www.tdl.com/~netex.  This is the web page
>of a custom system builder (most Intel, it appears these
>days, but also Alpha based and in the past at least Sun).
>
>They sell 'em with Linux or (if you make them) NT.
>
>Their web page is a great resource for folks exploring
>hardware options.  They list typical suggested configurations,
>but the site's far more useful than this.  For each configuration,
>they list each component in exhaustive detail (including the
>brand of exhaust fan).  Each component is actually a hyperlink
>to a separate page that lists a suite of other components,
>with their editorial comments about their view of the tradeoffs
>involved with each.

Very, very interesting web site.  I've not bought from them; they seem
to have more useful data on performance of PC systems than any other
place I've ever seen.

>So, for instance, if you check out their sample PII/PIII workstation
>you'll find they suggest an ASUS motherboard with onboard UWII.
>Click on the motherboard, and you can explore motherboards from
>ASUS or other manufacturers with, say, no UWII, etc etc.
>
>At this level, click on the ASUS board description and they
>send you to the ASUS site.
>
>They do this for every component, so you can quickly poke
>around and see why they make the choices they do, and
>what alternative choices they think are reasonable.

This "metainformation" on "how to choose" is *really* valuable.  I don't
know that they're always right, but there is some really insightful
information, for sure.

>They also have a lot of information on Intel, for
>instance a history of different chip introductions
>of various cpus and clock speeds, graphs of past
>price trends (and predictions of future trends), tech
>info on various cpus, that kind of thing.

They often seem to be pretty down on non-Intel CPUs; many of the
arguments they make seem quite persuasive.

I might think it a "really cool idea" to get a system based on a 250 MHz
StrongARM; the fact that systems integrators haven't gotten excited
enough about that CPU (or MIPS, or SPARC, or PPC) for there to be a
richly diverse set of motherboards and other support hardware for such
things means that they are rather "nichey" choices with severe danger of
being too expensive and of being outclassed by the "next generation" of
whatever Intel spews onto the market.

I've got quite a number of other links to VARS at the URL below...
--
"I once witnessed a long-winded, month-long flamewar over the use of
mice vs. trackballs...It was very silly." (By Matt Welsh)

------------------------------

From: "Jeremiah Daniels" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Red Hat 5.2 RAMDISK questions
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 18:16:52 -0700

Hello I am trying to find out how o make a Linux bootdisk that does not load
RAMDISK at all.  The system only has 4 megs of ram and cant handle RAMDISK.
PLEASE HELP IMM!!

Jeremiah
Cybertribe

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Subject: Re: What is ia32?
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 23:47:23 GMT

On 12 Apr 1999 14:58:49 +0200, Urs Thuermann
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Aki M Laukkanen) writes:
>
>> This leads me thinking that they were mostly bug fixing although I
>> didn't follow ia32 kernel development at that time.
>
>That's thwe second time I read this term.  What is ia32?

Intel Architecture, 32 bit.

It is a more accurate way of providing an identifier encompassing the
various associated CPUs than the "x86" moniker.  "x86" was a useful
identifier in the olden days when everyone called their chip
"something-86," whether "586, 80386, 80486, ..."

When Intel decided to start giving non-"86-based" identifiers, it
started to really make sense to describe the common architecture in some
more encompassing way.

It is even more important now that you have "Pentium,"
"Pentium-whazzit," and third-party chips like "K5," "K6," "Winchip"...

It is also useful in distinguishing functionally between IA-32, the "32
bit series," and IA-64, the proper identifier for the 64 bit series of
products for which the codename for one of the early releases may be
"Merced."  (Or they may only release a successor; who can say?)
--
Linux!  Guerrilla UNIX Development     Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus.
(By [EMAIL PROTECTED], Mark A. Horton KA4YBR)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Timothy J. Lee)
Subject: dev_tint, dev->family, dev->pa_* removed when?
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 23:50:42 GMT

When (what kernel version) did dev_tint(), dev->family, and dev->pa_*
get removed from the kernel?  What should the use of these be replaced
by?
Timothy J. Lee                                                   timlee@
Unsolicited bulk or commercial email is not welcome.             netcom.com

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Timothy J. Lee)
Subject: memcpy_tofs(), memcpy_fromfs()
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 23:52:05 GMT

memcpy_tofs() and memcpy_fromfs() come up as implicit declarations
on a kernel 2.2.5 computer.  What should they be replaced by?  What
kernel version had the change?

From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help on programming
Date: 13 Apr 1999 09:59:18 -0700

http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/programming.html
http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/device-drivers.html
http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/kernel-modules.html
http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/kernel.html
http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/books.html  (O'Reilly, for sure)

--
Look for Linux info at http://www.dejanews.com/home_ps.shtml and
Gary's Encyclopedia at http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/index.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Komar)
Subject: Re: Why is my process consuming system time?
Date: 13 Apr 1999 17:27:31 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: I recently got a biprocessor Pentium II system on which I installed
: RedHat 5.2 and recompiled the kernel (2.0.36) for SMP. I noticed
: with considerable surprise that my number crunching jobs (which
: do pure calculation with very few system calls for I/O) consume
: hardly any user time, but plenty of system time. The same programs
: run at 99% user time on my laptop (single-processor Pentium, RedHat 5.1).
:
: Is this something I should worry about or just a quirk of the time
: counting system?

Hmm, I never noticed this before, but it checks out on a few boxes
that I have, as well (one SMP running 2.0.36, and a couple of
uniprocessor machines running 2.0.35 and 2.0.36).  I looked
in the stat file in each process's proc directory and saw that
the utime and stime entries matched what `time' reported later.
It would be good to know why the accounting is different in
the two cases.

Cheers,
Rob Komar

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Samuelson)
Subject: Re: M-systems binary only drivers & GPL
Date: 13 Apr 1999 20:12:54 -0500

[David Grothe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
> Can you clarify a bit for me?  I looked at advansys.c and it seems to
> be 10,000 lines of actual C code with 1,000 lines of some initialized
> data embedded in it.  Can you elaborate on your point a bit?

The point is that the 1000 lines you refer to look like:

  STATIC unsigned char _adv_mcode_buf[] ASC_INITDATA = {
    0x9C,  0xF0,  0x80,  0x01,  0x00,  0xF0,  0x44,  0x0A,  0x00,  0x00,  0x00,  0x00,
 0x00,  0x00,  0x00,  0x00,
    0x00,  0x00,  0x00,  0x00,  0x00,  0x00,  0x00,  0x00,  0x00,  0x00,  0x00,  0x00,
 0x00,  0x00,  0x00,  0x00,
    0x00,  0x00,  0x00,  0x00,  0x00,  0x00,  0x00,  0x00,  0x72,  0x01,  0xD6,  0x11,
 0x00,  0x00,  0x70,  0x01,
    0x30,  0x01,  0x00,  0x00,  0x00,  0x00,  0x00,  0x00,  0x90,  0x10,  0x2D,  0x03,
 0x00,  0x00,  0x00,  0x00,
    0x00,  0x00,  0x00,  0x00,  0x00,  0x00,  0x00,  0x00,  0x00,  0x00,  0x00,  0x00,
 0x00,  0x00,  0x00,  0x00,

and so forth.  This is binary data, not source code.  Sure, it's legal
C, but it was obviously generated from something else; you can't tell
me a programmer just typed those numbers in as-is, and you're not going
to be able to debug it that way.

Most of the SCSI drivers have binary data because they need to download
firmware to the card, which usually doesn't use an onboard IA32 chip
(or whatever) that gcc could directly generate code for.  Somewhere
someone will have a custom assembler for the firmware of each of those
cards, but it would be a little silly to either (a) ship each one of
those custom assemblers in the kernel source tarball or (b) expect that
every user has them all installed (like gcc and bin86).

I haven't checked the others, but in the case of the aic7xxx driver,
the assembler source is in the kernel tree too, so if you do have the
necessary software you can regenerate the binary data.

--
Peter Samuelson
<sampo.creighton.edu!psamuels>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Samuelson)
Subject: Re: Running process without control terminal
Date: 12 Apr 1999 21:12:29 -0500

[AMAE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
> What does it mean to say that a process X is running without control
> terminal.  For example, ps -x shows processes running with or without
> control terminal.  How does a process get in that state?

A few thoughts:

- Did `ps' warn you about obsolete usage? (:
- This is not a Linux question, it is a Unix question.  APUE[1] is
  always good for this sort of thing.  Buy it.  Read it.
- It got into that state either by inheriting no controlling terminal
  or by divorcing itself from one.  The TIOCNOTTY ioctl is one popular
  way of achieving this; again, see APUE.

--
Peter Samuelson
<sampo.creighton.edu!psamuels>

[1] Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment by W. Richard
    Stevens.  Has chapters on most beginning-to-intermediate Unix
    programming topics, including a nice long one on the horrors of
    Unix terminal handling.

------------------------------

From: Harald Arnesen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Win32 support in Linux
Date: 13 Apr 1999 13:15:52 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Well of cource not. I am not that uneducated. I just did not see
> support for it in the kernel config, that's all. Also, now I can't get
> fdisk running under windows or dos mode ( went ahead and did the fat32
> conversion, but it didn't work even before that...), and Win98
> detected that it was not the booting partition, and changed that. Now
> I can't boot from lilo, so I have to go in and find my linux rescue
> disks from among all my stuff. So, what fs specifyer do I use for
> 'mount'? 'fat32'? I would guess so, but if anyone knows the specifics,
> let me know.

To use either fat-16 or fat-32, you use 'vfat'.
--
Harald Arnesen, Apalløkkveien 23 A, N-0956 Oslo, Norway

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: clone() creates zombies
Date: 14 Apr 1999 01:31:54 GMT

In article <7dqot5$hok$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Udo Giacomozzi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I can use Fork() without problems, all works perfectly. But (as I need the
>memory being shared) clone doesn't work at all.
>I use flags CLONE_VM|CLONE_FS|CLONE_SIGHAND. When clone() is called, it
>exits with a valid PID number (at least it seems so) in the parent process
>but the child isnt executed. Using "ps" I see there has benn created a
>zombie process. When the parent process exits, the zombie is deleted.
>
>What's the problem?

Sounds like your child is exiting (perhaps due to a segfault or other signal
you're not expecting) very soon after the clone(), but before you get
the chance to run "ps".

Regards,
Graham

------------------------------

From: accoday <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Serial console problems, need help
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 10:41:40 -0700

Hi,

I've been banging my head on getting a serial console working.
I started trying to get it work in an embedded environment, but
I've back out to just two PC's with linux to get it work in a simpler
case.

Anyways, this is the setup I have currently.

* System A)  Redhat 5.2 w/ Kernel 2.2.5 compiled with Serial console
enabled. with monitor connected.

* System B)  Redhat 5.2 w/ Kernenl 2.2.5 w/o serial console enabled

* A and B are connected via serial null modem cable on COM1 of both
machines.  System B is supposed to act as a serial console for System A.

* I followed the serial-console.txt in the Documentation dir of the
2.2.5 source.
        * ls -l /dev/console /dev/tty0
> crw--w--w-   1 root     root       5,   1 Apr 13 08:49 /dev/console
> crw--w--w-   1 root     root       4,   0 Apr 13 08:08 /dev/tty0

        * I've added serial=0,9600n8 to lilo.conf and ran lilo.

        * removed /etc/ioctl.save

So, then I reboot System A, while System B is running:
cu -l /dev/ttyS0 -s 9600 -debug all

I see the lilo prompt come up on System B, however if I try to type
anything from System B, lilo boots the default kernel.

I then choose the right kernel via System A's keyboard and append to it:
"console=ttyS0,9600n8 console=tty0".
I see the loading kernel message on System B, but then once the rest of
the kernel boot messages start displaying, they stop displaying on
System B.

I've tried just using "console=ttyS0,9600n8" but i get the same
behaviour.

Everywhere I've checked on the net, suggests that this is supposed to be
fairly easy especially for 2.2.x.

Can anyone offer some help or insight?

-Aaron

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.app
From: Aurel Balmosan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: profiling a dynamic library
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 17:37:52 GMT

Jean-Christophe Ulysse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,

> I profile my programs (prof or gprof )
> And before now i have no problem.

> Now,
> I've wrote a dynamic library ( .so ) that I link at the complilation
> step to my main
> program.

> gcc myprog -o a.out -lmylib

> BUT : gprof see symbols only in the main program ( a.out )
> and give no statistics about the functions of the library.

> Do anybody know the option ( of gprof or gcc ) for watch the symbols
> of a liked library

Have you tried to compile your .so with -p or -pg? I never tried it
but I would also be in need of profiling shared libraries/object.

Bye,

        Aurel.

Aurel Balmosan                |  [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://gaia.owl.de/~aurel/    |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rick Ansell)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,linux.redhat.misc,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Idea:  Make a seperate "i686" tree for Redhat Linux 6.0
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 23:24:36 GMT

On Wed, 7 Apr 1999 05:03:29 +0100, Shimpei Yamashita
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Rick Ansell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>I still use Agent under Wine for news, but I'm working on
>>understanding INN. I now use Lyx for document production. I use
>>Navigator for the web...
>
>If you are merely trying to read news offline, leafnode is probably
>the easiest thing to use. Setup literally takes only a few minutes of
>work, whereas with INN you could spend hours and hours just reading
>the documentation, 98% of which you aren't going to use because you
>are not trying to run a real news server.
>
>The major downside (IMHO) is that leafnode doesn't let you filter
>articles, so if you have a lot of killfiles you could end up
>downloading a lot of articles you don't read. However, if you get
>bogged down trying to set up INN, you might want to give it a shot.
>
>ftp://ftp.troll.no/pub/freebies/
>
>If you decide to adopt slrn as your newsreader, you can also use
>slrnpull to fetch articles.

I looked at all the above, but they don't fit with my long term
plans <Evil grin>

These involve providing a back-up system for a gatewayed mailing
list / newsgroup pair and writing stuff so said pair appear as a
single group on my machine.

Other plans lurk at the back of my ever inventive head...

Rick
--

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern
technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

------------------------------

From: "Sam Fineberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Alpha Driver
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 15:24:43 -0700

I am attempting to build a driver for an alpha/linux 2.2.3 system.  When I
compile any file that either directly or indirectly includes
/usr/include/asm/current.h I get the following compiler error:

/usr/include/asm/current.h:4: global register variable follows a function
defini
tion
cc1: warnings being treated as errors
/usr/include/asm/current.h:4: warning: call-clobbered register used for
global r
egister variable

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,