Linux-Development-Sys Digest #705, Volume #6     Wed, 12 May 99 17:14:46 EDT

Contents:
  Re: rpm and Data Typ 9 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  get/set IRQ vector in kernel version 2.2.x (Mats Byggmastar)
  Re: You can now use Winmodems in Linux!!!!!!! (bill davidsen)
  developing for 3CCFEM656 combo card (3com.megahertz) (J A)
  Re: glibc-2.0.7 to glibc-2.1.1 (Brent Corbin)
  Re: Aliases question in sendmail. (Pierre Bodart)
  Re: Any program can generate Gif or Jpg  (bill davidsen)
  Re: Linux disk defragmenter (Peter Samuelson)
  Re: Destructive Erase? (bill davidsen)
  Re: any video camera? (bill davidsen)
  Re: Linux disk defragmenter (bill davidsen)
  Who is keeping track of kernel patches (Michael Hirsch)
  Re: Who is keeping track of kernel patches (LEBLANC ERIC)
  Re: what means cli() and sti()? (Peter Pointner)
  Linux installation on Generic box ("Alex Balboa (HPTi|crimmins) " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
  Re: Glibc rant (David T. Blake)
  How to make linux boot/shutdown rapidly (Michael Hirsch)
  Re: glibc-2.0.7 to glibc-2.1.1 (Brent Corbin)
  Re: You can now use Winmodems in Linux!!!!!!! (M. Buchenrieder)

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: rpm and Data Typ 9
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 14:20:16 GMT

In comp.os.linux.development.system Folkert Meeuw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> what is Data Typ 9 and why is it not supported by rpm ?

It is supported by RPM, it's just that your version is too old.
Get a later version from www.rpm.org

------------------------------

From: Mats Byggmastar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: get/set IRQ vector in kernel version 2.2.x
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 16:56:39 +0200

I'm trying to port a DSP-board driver from kernel version
2.0 to version 2.2. When starting up the DSP a rather strange
(and stupid) procedure is used. Some information is passed from
the driver to the DSP by writing it to irq vector 0x88. The DSP
then reads the info. The vector is then restored.

In the old version this was done simply by writing the info
directly to adderes 0x220 (4 * 0x88) in memory. However, this
no longer works. The kernel does a register dump with a message
telling it can't derefenece memory at address 0x220.

I can't seem to find any suitable kernel function for this low
level stuff I need to do. Any ideas?

Mats

Mats Byggmastar, B.Sc., Software developer
GSM/GPRS/D-AMPS cellular data testequipment
Moesarc Technology AS, Oslo Norway
[EMAIL PROTECTED], tel: (+47)22516974

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Subject: Re: You can now use Winmodems in Linux!!!!!!!
Date: 12 May 1999 19:27:52 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Philip Boucherat  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| What is a Winmodem anyway, and why would I want to use it?

A winmodem is a device which uses a $200 CPU to substitute for a $4 UART
in generating the clocked bit values for the modem output. This allows
you to slow your system performance, and your modem performance, while
reducing the initial hardware cost a little and boosting the
manufacturer's profit at your expense.

You would want to use it because (a) someone gave it to you and you
can't afford a real modem, or (b) you are stupid and didn't read past
"specially for Windows" on the box.

--
bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc
  One common problem is mistyping an email address and creating another

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J A)
Subject: developing for 3CCFEM656 combo card (3com.megahertz)
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 14:58:25 GMT

Anyone got a good pointer to >developing< pcmcia support for a card in
linux.  I am using redhat 6.0 and fiddling with the 3CCFEM656 combo
card from 3Com.  I believe it is a 32 bit card.  The networking part
is the most vital.  I only dial with the modem when I go to my parents
house.  I have a cable modem at home and network at work.
This is a common card that you can order through dell with their
notebooks.

Cardbus 3.3v
10/100 and 56K Megahertz modem
3c574_cs, 3c589_cs both yield
"GetFirstTuple: no more items"
as the main error.  I assume it is a problem with having the right
memory available and accessing the right registers in the card.

Anyone want to mentor me? =)

I think it can be done.
--Jason

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brent Corbin)
Subject: Re: glibc-2.0.7 to glibc-2.1.1
Date: 12 May 1999 19:32:27 GMT

On 12 May 1999 10:42:54 -0700, David T. Blake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brent Corbin) writes:
>
>>Well... I confess, some time ago I managed to convert my entire
>>system over to glibc-2.0.7 without paying (enough) attention to
>>all the various warnings to consider it unstable... (hey - it was
>>stable enough for most of the distributions  8*)
>>
>>Now it's time to move towards glibc-2.1.1 ---- let's say I was
>>to install the precompiled rpm's from RedHat - can anyone tell
>>me what would break?
>
>First, I would recommend STRONGLY that if you have a Redhat
>system, that you get the Redhat 6.0 disk from somewhere.

Alas, my system started life as a Slackware box many many moons
ago (a.out vintage), and gradually evolved into its current
distribution-independent form... 8*) I think the glibc, xf86, and
egcs packages are the only things I haven't built from src...
xf86 and egcs came from 'official' binary releases, and glibc came
from RedHat...

>Then, install the new glibc, the new ncurses, and upgrade
>every RPM you currently have installed. There should be no
>broken open source software on your disk, and it will take
>about an hour. The ones that you really NEED to upgrade include
>ALL system libraries as indicated in the documentation for
>glibc2.1.
>
>StarOffice is another story, since you have to find a binary
>someone else compiled.

Ok - that's good news - all I have is open source --- sounds like
it might work 8*)

Thanks for taking the time to help me out...  //Brent

------------------------------

From: Pierre Bodart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Aliases question in sendmail.
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 17:04:30 +0200

Nico Zigouras wrote:

> I have a question that is more relevant to sendmail, but since I am
> running it on my Linux
> box, I will ask it here.  I have an alias for all the users on my system.
> As the admin, I
> want to send to all these aliases.  No problem.  But I want to prevent
> regular users from
> being able to respond to all or send a new message to all.  Essentially I
> just want a to all
> email only to be allowed as sent from the admin box.

Two solutions :
1) comment out your alias after each mail you have sent (and rebuilt
your alias file).
2) use a mailing-list agent like LISTSERV Lite or SmartList.

Pierre

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Any program can generate Gif or Jpg
Date: 12 May 1999 19:32:11 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dove  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| In Linux, is there any program or script can generate a Gif or Jpg chart
| according to some ASCII data?

For graphs, use gnuplot. For other things, there is a GD library for
perl, used in a number of report generating programs.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Samuelson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux disk defragmenter
Date: 7 May 1999 01:32:37 -0500

[Anthony Ord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
   on the Linux IDE driver's (vapor) bidirectional elevator algorithm]
> The GPL doesn't prevent me from being too crap to do it...

It does prevent you (not actually the GPL but the "no warranty" part
that usually comes with) from complaining to anyone else if you can't
or won't do it, though.  (:

--
Peter Samuelson
<sampo.creighton.edu!psamuels>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Subject: Re: Destructive Erase?
Date: 12 May 1999 19:40:12 GMT

In article <nOEY2.549$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
matthew gauthier  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| I'm trying to implement a destructive file erase, however, I'm at a
| loss as to the best way to insure that the same blocks are overwritten.
| If I use stdio and overwrite a file with an equal amount of data and
| close it, will the kernel put it on the same disk realestate at the
| next sync? Or am I going to need to work at a much lower level here?
|
| Any thoughts and pointers on where to start looking are appreciated, as
| are cc's, since my newsfeed sometimes drops articles.

You open the file for read and write, seek to the end, get the current
position (aka the length), seek to the beginning, and then write
(length) bytes of zeros to the file. If you want security against a pro
physically taking apart your disk and getting bits off under a
microscope, write 0xFF, then zero, then 0xE5 to each byte, three passes
with a sync (or fsync) at the end of each write.

Look for a program called 'purge' in the old comp.sources.unix archives.
I wrote it about 1991 and I believe I contributed it. I got the 0xE5
from a security dude at DOE when I had clearance, don't ask why that
value, other than many format programs use it for the initial low level
format.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Subject: Re: any video camera?
Date: 12 May 1999 19:42:38 GMT

In article <7gvrbk$5t2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| I would like to know if there are _any_ video camera drivers available (so I
| can decide which ones to choose from before I buy).  In particular -- what
| about the "Big Picture" camera sold by 3com?  Is there a driver for that?

I believe the working drivers are for the Connectix b/w and color
cameras. I ordered a b/w and got a VC model, which is *not* supported in
Linux. Hopefully it will be, or someone will want to swap an old color
version for the latest thing. Does neat video conferencing in Windows,
though, I'll give it that.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 12 May 1999 19:05:12 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Anthony Ord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| I'm not complaining, I'm asking if anyone has done it. The
| arguments for and against bi-directional seeking remind me a
| lot of the arguments for and against Darwin's theory of
| Evolution (in essence: explains lots of things, but has
| holes).

Yes, it was done, it did work, it was faster. I forget who did it, one
of the past or present driver folks. Look in dejanews. As far as I can
tell the reasons are political rather than technical. There are cases
in which the bidirectional algorithm is slower than what we have, but
in practice it must be faster because a lot of commercial unices use it
(or claim to), and it's faster in simulation. It isn't used because it
isn't faster in every case.

| A simple demonstration is worth a thousand Usenet
| messages...

The US welfare system is broken. The liberals won't accept any change
which leaves a single deserving person without benefits. The
conservatives won't accept any change which allows a single undeserving
person to get benefits.

Uh, you meant a demo of bidirectional seek rather than the consequences
of rejecting any less than perfect solution, didn't you?

From: Michael Hirsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Who is keeping track of kernel patches
Date: 12 May 1999 15:46:13 -0400

I have a very clear memory of a web site that kept track of kernel
patches that many people had released but were not in the kernel.
Does this still exist and where is it?  I've been looking everywhere
and I can't find it anymore.

Was I dreaming?

Thanks a bunch,

--
Michael D. Hirsch                       Work: (404) 727-7940
Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322     FAX: (404) 727-5611

Public key for encrypted mail available upon request (or finger
[EMAIL PROTECTED]).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (LEBLANC ERIC)
Subject: Re: Who is keeping track of kernel patches
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 19:55:09 GMT

Michael Hirsch ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I have a very clear memory of a web site that kept track of kernel
: patches that many people had released but were not in the kernel.
: Does this still exist and where is it?  I've been looking everywhere
: and I can't find it anymore.

http://www.linuxhq.com

:
: Was I dreaming?

No. =)

------------------------------

From: Peter Pointner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: what means cli() and sti()?
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 19:18:53 GMT

Keith Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> But these are not system calls, they are machine instructions.
> ~$man cli
> No manual entry for cli

At least my SuSE 6.0 contains a manual page for cli and sti in
section 9. IIRC the man pages of this sections are in a separate
package.

cli/sti are probably macros which resolve to cli/sti machine
instructions on ia32 (and AFAIK only as long as you don't use
RT-Linux). It will probably give something else on alpha, ...

Peter

------------------------------

Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.development.apps,redhat.hardware.arch.intel,alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.networking,alt.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.prog,comp.os.linux.m68k
From: "Alex Balboa (HPTi|crimmins) <balboa>" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux installation on Generic box
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 19:51:51 GMT

==============4BAF929A2D2109F9E0C3CAF1

I am currently trying to install Redhat 5.2 Linux on the following
system configuration:
System board brand: Tyan ATX S16820 Tahoe 2 ATX (Pentium II PCI ATX)
CPU: Pentium II 266 MHZ (dual) with 512 K of cache)
Memory: 512 MB EDO (GENERIC)
Floppy 3.5" 1.44MB FDD
Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda ST19171W (SCSI:1 drive at 4 GB and 6
additional ones at 9.1 GB)
CDROM: Toshiba XM-5701TA (12-Speed Fast SCSI2)
Tape Drive: HP C5133A
Network Card: Intel EtherExpress Pro (32Bit PCI 10/100 BT)
Video Card: Matrox Millenium (8MB)
Sound Card: Creative Lab SB AWE 64 Gold (ISA 20 Bit 4 MB)
SCSI Adapter: Adaptec (2 of them) model AHA 2940 U/UW
Zip drive: IOmega 100MB SCSI
JAZ drive: IOmega 1GB SCSI
PCMCIA card reader:  ANTEC DESCARTES 761345-64113

I was wondering if some one has installed Redhat 5.2 Linux on such a
system and, if so,
please advise on any special procedures or drivers for any of the above
components that I would need.
Thank you in advance (please forward your replies to the newsgroup and
my email)
Sincerely,
Alex Balboa

Alex Balboa, Ph.D.                  939-I Beards Hill Road, Suite 193
High Performance Technologies, Inc. Aberdeen, MD  21001-1734
Integrated Modeling and Testing     Phone: 1-410-297-8567
Programming Environment & Training         1-410-278-7536
ARL PET MSRC                        FAX:   1-410-297-9521
Senior CTA Analyst                  Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

==============4BAF929A2D2109F9E0C3CAF1

&nbsp;
system configuration:
additional ones at 9.1 GB)
system and, if so,
components that I would need.
and my email)
<pre>--&nbsp;
Alex Balboa,
Ph.D.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 939-I Beards Hill Road, Suite 193
High Performance Technologies, Inc. Aberdeen, MD&nbsp; 21001-1734
Integrated Modeling and Testing&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Phone: 1-410-297-8567
Programming Environment &amp; Training&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
1-410-278-7536
ARL PET
MSRC&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 FAX:&nbsp;&nbsp; 1-410-297-9521
Senior CTA
Analyst&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 URL:&nbsp;&nbsp; <a href="http://www.arl.hpc.mil/PET">http://www.arl.hpc.mil/PET
</a>---------------------------------------------------------------------</pre>
&nbsp;

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David T. Blake)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Glibc rant
Date: 12 May 1999 12:25:29 -0700

"G. Sumner Hayes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Your implication is that if I have a glibc-2.0 system installed and I
>grab glibc-2.1 and do "configure; make; make install" that the default
>sonames are properly bumped and old programs will continue to use
>glibc-2.0, right?  I honestly don't know, as I moved to glibc-2.1 and
>egcs at the same time and rebuilt the whole system.

glibc2.0.7 and glibc2.1 both create the same soname file -
libc.so.6

There are incompatibilities. The documentation in the
tarball is amply clear about how these incompatibilities
come about, and how to deal with them. People who upgrade
their C libraries without reading the documentation are
accidents waiting to happen. I see no evidence that there is an
issue with the upgrade compared, say, to the libc5 to libc6
upgrade. The documentation is clear, libraries need to be
rebuilt/upgraded, and all is well.

--
Dave Blake
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Michael Hirsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to make linux boot/shutdown rapidly
Date: 12 May 1999 15:44:51 -0400

When I close the cover of my think pad, or hit the right key
combination, it immediately writes the RAM to disk, then shuts off.
On power-up it does the opposite--reads the disk file into RAM and
starts executing where it left off.  This even works when running
Linux.

I was having a discussion with someone about whether this is a BIOS
routine, or something even lower level than that.  I thought that
Linux never allows anything to use the BIOS routines, so I was arguing
for it not being BIOS.  But then, what is it?

If Linux is to be used in a consumer appliance (like a car MP3 player)
it needs to be able to boot and shutdown almost immediately.  What are
the schemes that people have looked at for this?  For instance, does
anyone know how the MP3 car player described on empeg.com solves the
problem?

I was thinking that one could write a kernel module that would imitate
my ThinkPad.  When loaded it would immediately write the contents of
memory to a disk file, then shutdown the CPU.  At boot time, you'd
need a new boot loader that would load the file back into memory, then
return execution to the appropriate place.  Thus, shutdown would only
take as long as it takes to write RAM to disk (and if you are clever
you would only have to write the buffers that aren't just images of
one on the disk).  Start up would take as long as it takes to read
them off disk.

Is there a reason that this would be impossible to write?  Is this
being worked on already?  I've done numerous web searches but come up
empty.

Thanks,

--Michael

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brent Corbin)
Date: 12 May 1999 19:39:45 GMT

On 12 May 1999 19:48:36 +0200, Andreas Jaeger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Read the whole FAQ - you need to recompile at least ncurses and
>libstdc++.

I've gotta get out of the habit of just skimming these things 8*(
So much information, so little time...

>glibc 2.1.1 is not yet released, there's only a prerelease available
>(pre2).  I would advise to wait for the final version or for the next
>prerelease (pre3).
>
>All *known* and reported compatibility problems are AFAIK either
>documented (read the FAQ, especially questions 1.17, 2.19, 2.21, 2.27,
>2.30, 3.18, 3.20) or fixed.  glibc 2.1 had some compatibility
>problems.
>
>The basic functionality should work.

*Great* --- that was the sense I got from skimming posts and the FAQ,
but I wanted to make sure -

Thanks for the help and for the specific references...  //Brent

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 17:22:44 GMT

Christopher Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>yippeee!!! now we can all buy bastardized hardware and send the
>right message
>to the manufactures!
>-ckm

You shouldn't believe everything you find posted on Usenet.

OTOH, you may of course go out and buy crippleware and complain
to the manufacturer nonetheless. It's your own money you're wasting.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu