From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James Stevenson)
Subject: processes
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 21:45:59 +0000

Hi

is there a system call under linux to find out what processes are running
or do i need to parse the proc filesystem to get information on other processes

thanks
        James

Check Out: http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/james/
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  9:40pm  up  6:42,  3 users,  load average: 2.00, 2.00, 2.00

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Philip Brown)
Subject: Re: does egcs 1.1.2 produce stable kernels?
Date: 09 Aug 1999 20:48:00 GMT

On 8 Aug 1999 02:44:55 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>I've been compiling kernels with egcs snapshots for a year and a half, the
>problems found have been ironed out in the meantime, quietly (as Linus just
>would bite your head off for "egcs-specific fixes"). AFAIKS, Linus is now
>silently using gcc-2.95, after he complained loudly here and elsewhere that
>egcs (its direct predecessor) was below contempt...

it's still below contempt for non-linux systems. gee, i wonder what the
primary development platform isi...

The word of the day is mispergitude

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Dell Computers / 3c905 / HANG!!
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 21:40:13 GMT

Mark Lumsden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am having a problem that has now occured in 3 separate Dell
> systems which seems to be related to 3c905 ethernet cards.  Here
> is the symptom - with a Dell system running the 2.2 kernel, a
> 3c905 (or 3c905b) ethernet card and some other pci cards present,
> the system hangs after some intermittent period of time (usually
> 1-2 days) with the following error:
>
> kernel: eth0: Too much work in interrupt, status e481.  Temporarily
> disabling functions (7b7e).

See
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html

to report this bug to the appropriate maintainer.

Although, if I were you, I would change
static int max_interrupt_work = 20;
to something more like
static int max_interrupt_work = 30;

in the file
/usr/src/linux/drivers/net/3c59x.c

Just for grins. It should give you a little more breathing
room before you crash and burn (although I could be missing something
too...)

It really looks like the interrupt handling in the driver
is not quite doing the right thing.

-DB

------------------------------

From: Guilhem Tardy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux hangs at reboot after recompiling kernel 2.2.10
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 17:50:09 -0400

Hi!

I got something strange and couldn't sort it out myself. A little help
is very welcome:

I compiled kernel 2.2.10 with "make bzImage", did all the usual stuff to
get it run (aside of the 2.2.5-15 version from Red-Hat which I have been
using for a month) and rebooted.
First, everything was fine, at the exception of the NFS daemon ("nfssvc:
not implemented"), which is strange because other parts of the NFS
daemon started successfully.
Anyway, while trying to fix that, I recompiled the 2.2.10 again (same
config, still a slightly different resulting kernel file) and did the
usual stuff again.
And now, it hangs at the very start of the boot sequence, after
displaying "LIL-"...
It looks like something in the /boot/boot.b (still unchanged since I
installed RH 6.0) or /boot/map, but I couldn't figure it out.
Do you have any idea???

--
Guilhem Tardy                       phone: (613) 993-8232
Communications Research Center      email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Tom Emerson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Looking for a good IP packet analyzer
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 15:58:21 -0700

I'm looking for a good, easy-to-use packet analyzer that runs under Linux.
Yes, I know "tcpdump" exists, but that doesn't (easily) show me what I'm
looking for [or perhaps I just don't know how to do it right]  I have a
windows program that communicates with a server somewhere on the internet,
and I'd like to "engineer" a port of the program to Linux.  For that, I need
to have some idea of the contents of each packet sent from the client and
the general responses from the server.  (from what I've seen, tcpdump simply
displays what TYPE of packet hit the wire, not the contents of the packet
proper...)  Maybe I'm misreading it, but I also seem to recall from the
tcpdump man page that it actually truncates [snarfs?] packets as it saves
them to the file

For those of you who have seen it, a package I've used in the past is by a
company called "Shomiti" and it's just about what I'm looking for [but
again, that's a windows program...]

Essentially, I need to do the following:

   1) capture a session [tcpdump would probably suffice for this, providing
the entire packet is captured]; save & load [and/or ability to use tcpdump
files]
   2) "filter" the capture file based on various criteria [source IP, source
MAC, third byte of the data contains an "X", etc]
   3) recognizes & formats various packet formats [raw 802; raw IP; POP;
NNTP; SNMP; etc. -- not for this project necessarily, but nice to have in
the future]
   3a) [would be nice] extensibility to the packet recognition & formatting
algorithm [Shomiti does this by allowing you to create a procedure in a .DLL
that recieves the raw packet and gives it the opportunity to decode it; if
the packet is recognizable, you repeatedly call various functions to "build
up" the format of the packet -- i.e., if the first two bytes of a packet are
an integer, you make a call to an "its_an_int" and the program displays the
fact that the next two bytes are an int]
   4) ability to scroll forward/backward through the capture file,
reformatting as needed
   5) [again, nice but not required] ability to re-insert captured packets
onto the network [i.e., see that my program "reacts" to the host the same
way the current windows client acts & reacts]

Any leads I should pursue?
TIA

Tom Emerson

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Linux assembly, etc
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 09 Aug 1999 19:08:18 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alexander Viro) writes:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Johan Kullstam  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >system calls in linux are C function calls.  you could look at the
> >kernel as a low-level shared library.  the linker/loader will set up
> >the appropriate hooks.
>
>       Oh, puh-lease! We don't share that idiocy with OS/2. System calls
> do not use call gates and they are *not* affected by dynamical linker.
> Libc *is* a library and it contains the wrappers for system calls, but
> syscalls themselves are done via the single vector. Interface to the kernel
> is not a shared lib one.

of course it's not *really* a shared library.  however, on the surface
it shares a couple of attributes:

1) system calls are done by a C subroutine call mechanism.  in x86 you
   push args onto the stack and use a `call' instruction.

2) the kernel is always in memory and all applications share it.

> --
> "You're one of those condescending Unix computer users!"
> "Here's a nickel, kid.  Get yourself a better computer" - Dilbert.

and for the bazillionth time, dilbert doesn't say that!  dilbert isn't
even in that sequence.  wally says the first line.  the old, bearded,
suspenders wearing guy says the `here's a nickel bit'.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: "Hung P. Tran" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: printk ???
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 23:03:22 GMT

Just to let everyone know that I figured out the problem. My
printk message was sent to /var/log/messages ... (until I
modify /etc/syslog.conf), not default to /dev/console as
I was expected.

hung

------------------------------

From: Doug Dahlke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: squeaks on video activity w/ soundcard
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 16:06:14 -0700

I found the same problem with my SB 128 card as well.  You could here
ther mouse move via the speakers :-(.  Playing around with the audio
mixer, I found that the midi control seemed to be introducing the noice.
 After turning down the volume on the mixer for midi, all is quiet.  I
can here cds play and sound bite okay now.  Give it a try.

Doug

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alexander Viro)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 9 Aug 1999 20:35:19 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Johan Kullstam  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>of course it's not *really* a shared library.  however, on the surface
>it shares a couple of attributes:
>
>1) system calls are done by a C subroutine call mechanism.  in x86 you
>   push args onto the stack and use a `call' instruction.

Check the facts, please. It's done by putting the values into registers
followed by int 0x80. No trace of call. We are *not* using the call
gate - it's a trap gate and nothing is copied from the caller's stack.
Check arch/i386/kernel/{trap.c,entry.S} for details. Or just do the following:
al@bird:/tmp$ ar x /usr/lib/libc.a write.o
al@bird:/tmp$ objdump --disassemble write.o |less

write.o:     file format elf32-i386

Disassembly of section .text:

00000000 <__libc_write>:
   0:   53              pushl  %ebx
   1:   8b 54 24 10     movl   0x10(%esp,1),%edx
   5:   8b 4c 24 0c     movl   0xc(%esp,1),%ecx
   9:   8b 5c 24 08     movl   0x8(%esp,1),%ebx
   d:   b8 04 00 00 00  movl   $0x4,%eax
  12:   cd 80           int    $0x80
  14:   5b              popl   %ebx
  15:   3d 01 f0 ff ff  cmpl   $0xfffff001,%eax
  1a:   0f 83 fc ff ff  jae    1c <__libc_write+0x1c>
  1f:   ff
  20:   c3              ret

No calls. write(fd,buf,len) is %eax=4; %ebx=fd; %ecx=buf; %edx=len; int 0x80;
followed by error handling (return value is in %eax, if it's between -0x1000
and 0 - jump to the standard routine that sets errno and returns -1). 4 here
is the number of syscall. Using call gates takes more cycles and clutters
GDT. None of Unices on x86 does it.

>> --
>> "You're one of those condescending Unix computer users!"
>> "Here's a nickel, kid.  Get yourself a better computer" - Dilbert.
>
>and for the bazillionth time, dilbert doesn't say that!  dilbert isn't
>even in that sequence.  wally says the first line.  the old, bearded,
>suspenders wearing guy says the `here's a nickel bit'.

Arrrgh. And the name of strip being? I *know* who says that (the first
sentence is from Wally). OK, probably the attribution needs quotes.

From: Adam Meyerowitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Device Driver
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 01:30:24 GMT

Hello,

I am kind of new to linux.  I need to grab an interrupt and somehow
notify the application that the interrupt has occurred.  Am I correct
in thinking that this must be a device driver.  How would the device
driver communicate with the ring3 app.  Under Win 95/98/NT I can
use events are asynchronous procedure calls.  Are these things possible
in linux.  Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Is it benefical to use like rtlinux or something like that????

Thanks
Adam Meyerowitz

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher B. Browne)
Subject: Re: Which file systems are write stable on Linux?
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 01:58:37 GMT

On Mon, 9 Aug 1999 08:46:59 -0700, Randall Parker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
posted:
>Which alternative file systems (ie other than ext2) are stable enough on
>Linux when doing writing to be able to be used in production
>environments?

At this point in time, I don't think that any of the alternatives are
significantly more reliable than ext2.

>I am looking to reduce the chance of losing transaction histories if
>there is a crash. So one way I am thinking of lowering the odds of this
>happening is to put different file system types on different partitions.
>Then put the database on one type of file system and the transaction log
>on another. Hopefully then one of the partitions would always be readable
>after a reboot.

This only helps you if the differences between the filesystems (or the
"potentially unreliable systems") are unreliable in different ways that
permit each to be more reliable than the other in some respect.

At this point, it is far more reasonable to consider that ext2 is vastly
more widely used on Linux than any other FS, and thus has been more
extensively field-tested with greater opportunity to thereby fix problems.

In such a circumstance, you'll find that no other FS is actually more
reliable than ext2.

>BTW, has anyone ever considered enhancing ext2 or another file system so
>that just the partition and directory tree info is always written to
>synchronously? The idea here is to guarantee the integrity of the
>directory structure and the readability of the disk even if not all files
>have been fully written before a crash. Doing synchronous writes on
>everything would slow things down a lot more than just doing synchronous
>writes on the directory entries.

Have you considered the option "sync" as document in man (8) mount?

The documentation indicates that ext2 does support this option to go
with synchronous writes, albeit at the cost of slowdown...

--
"What's wrong with 3rd party tools? Especially if they are free?  What
the **** do you think UNIX is anyway? It's a big honkin' party of 3rd

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (kingman cheung)
Date: 9 Aug 1999 19:26:55 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Mark Lumsden  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi Everyone,
>
>I am having a problem that has now occured in 3 separate Dell systems
>which seems
>to be related to 3c905 ethernet cards.  Here is the symptom - with a
>Dell system
>running the 2.2 kernel, a 3c905 (or 3c905b) ethernet card and some other
>pci cards present,
>the system hangs after some intermittent period of time (usually 1-2
>days) with the following
>error:
>
>kernel: eth0: Too much work in interrupt, status e481.  Temporarily
>disabling functions (7b7e).

I know on Redhat6, there are kernels for SMP machiines and for single CPU.
The kernel, I think, is not as new as 2.2.10.  I would suggest you to
recompile your 2.2.10 kernel under Redhat6 and see what happens.
--
kingman

------------------------------

From: Robin Becker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How do I use source RPMs
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 03:25:24 +0100

I don't understand the source RPM concept. I tried
rpm -ivh with say the modutils source rpm and get a bunch of files in
the /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES dir; unfortunately no spec and the tar is
compressed with bzip2 which wasn't on my RH system originally. How, can
I get the spec to produce the patched sources? I can use bzip2 ok now I
just built from my own source, but why the nonsense with this rpm stuff.
--
Robin Becker

------------------------------

From: "T.E.Dickey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bzip2 compressed kernel
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 15:49:14 GMT

Bernd Strieder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> uncompressing, I think within the already booting kernel. I havenīt
> experienced decreases of kernel sizes switching from the old to the new
> method, only that the new method works with the big kernels >512KB.

Is that >512KB of the zImage file?  (I ran into this with a 500Kb zImage
last week - lilo refused it - otoh, the bzImage also was 500Kb, which lilo
liked).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Subject: Re: assembler message,  Unknown pseudo-op : .section
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 09 Aug 1999 22:38:16 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Butler) writes:

> [comp.os.linux.development.system - Wed, 28 Jul 1999 16:31:17 +0900] * Lim, wrote *
> >  Hi, I installed binutils-2.9.1.0.19a as 'arm-aout' targetted.
> > When I assemble a simple example with arm-aout-asm, it
> > complains that
> >     Error : Unknown pseudo-op '.section'
> >     Error : Unknown pseudo-op '.previous'
>
> > When I look into the GAS manual, there exists the directive
> > '.section'. I can't figure out why this happens. Can anyone
> > explain this or advise?
>
> GAS only supports the .section pseudo-op when the target object format
> supports sections. I don't think a.out supports sectioning, though.

Nope, a.out has exactly three sections, .text, .data, and .bss.  Given the
above messages, I assume you used -g and the compiler is now emitting dwarf
instead of stabs.  You might try it with -gstabs+, since dwarf only works on
object files that support random sections, or as suggested use arm-elf.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
PMB 198, 174 Littleton Road #3, Westford, Massachusetts 01886

------------------------------

From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,redhat.hardware.arch.intel
Subject: Re: DIGITAL output! Matrox G200.
Date: 09 Aug 1999 06:18:46 -0700

Vladimir <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi!
> I have Matrox G200, 8MB RAM, AGP with DIGITAL video output only.
> (repeat "DIGITAL output"). My display is IBM TFT, model T55D.
> I'm in despair. Is there anybody can help me?
>
> Useless:
> 1. change XF86 server with 3.3.4 (the newest one!)
> 2. change video card with DIGITAL/ANALOG Matrox (double output).
>    Problem is not in TFT. It works with new card.
> 3. change several Matox       drivers.
> 4. change Linux distribution. (RedHat 6.0, SuSE 6.0, Slackware.... .)
>
> Please, help me! I love Linux!
> Thanks!

I'm afraid that this monitor is not yet supported.  You might want to
complain to IBM, they have professed support for Linux.  You might also
want to search deja.com for "linux t55d", there is a link there that
might or might not be helpful.
--
David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU