From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl)
Subject: Re: signed vs unsigned ints discussion please
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 21:09:08 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Gene Heskett wrote:

>Hi all;
>
>I'm trying to clean up some c++ code but don't know a lot about c++.  One
>of the problems in this code is that there are many places in it where
>the format is:
>
>  if var >= 0
>
>where the var is an int and isn't spec'd as an unsigned, and in fact
>can't be or the compiler bails out totally since such a comparison is
>always true.  I actually tried that :(
>
>So the real problem is that the casting of the numeral '0' must be an
>unsigned value according to the warnings given.
[-]
Huh ?

>The question then is:  How can I specify, in c++, a globally available
>signed int containing the value of zero, or 0x80000000?  Then all I have
>to do is change all the '0's to 'zero'.
[-]
You had better check the code. Off the cuff I can think of two
reasons for any warnings ...

() the compiler can determine var is never going to be less than
   zero.

() somewhere a value is being assigned to var which exceeds the range
   on an int.

... and these two at least would mean the code is either not fully
thought through or possibly even buggy.

Sometimes it's better to trust your compiler more than yourself.

Cheers,
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Juergen Heinzl                \       no flames      /
 \ EMail Private : [EMAIL PROTECTED] \ send money instead /

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Kernel Panic in Network Interface
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 21:45:13 -0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
James Stephens  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Problem : when I attempt to use the route command, loopback works BUT
>the route to the gateway MOST
>(90%) often chokes... and crashes the entire box with the following
>error...
>
>Kernel Panic: skput: over: d0070fe4: 4096 put 4096 dev:tr0
>In swapper task - not syncing
>
>Details : I have a dual processor box running Linux kernel version
>2.2.16 and  a token ring adapter.

Sounds like either the token ring driver is broken or your adapter
is.  You might want to check 2.2.19 for a new driver.

Hasn't IBM given up on token ring yet?

--
http://www.spinics.net/linux/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: We need Embedded Linux Developers in San Jose
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 21:45:49 -0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Warren Spencer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Can't smoke cigarettes, either.

That's not a problem.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Subject: Re: TCP/IP socket buffering
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 22:02:20 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Joseph A. Knapka wrote:

>> I'm aware of that.  The legacy stuff I'm supporting would be
>> unable to read a command sequence from a file: it depends on
>> each read() call to return exactly one command (of whatever
>> length).  If commands get fragmented into mutple read()s it the
>> program doesn't work.  If a read() returns multiple commands,
>> only the first is processed.
>
>Ah, I see. In other words, your predecessor did *not* design a
>datagram protocol atop TCP; rather he/she/it ignored the issue
>entirely.

Exactly.  They sort of went for the 90% solution.  It works in
90% of the installations, and there were always other
higher-priority things that worrying about the last 10%.

>> The software I have to talk to is burned in ROMs in thousands
>> and thousands of boards scattered about the planet.  I can not
>> change it.
>
>Oh my. You'd think someone would have noticed this problem
>earlier.

The problem only appears when poeple have a slow link in the
network and use routers that will concatenate packets when
they're queue for re-transmission.  The temporary fix was
to add delays between write() operations, or to intersperse
write() operations that generate a response, then wait for the
resonse.

>> It would be nice to have the system provide a reliable datagram
>> service.
>
>Agreed.

Sounds like a good MS project to me...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  .. my NOSE is NUMB!
                                  at

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.shareware.programmer,comp.editors,comp.lang.java.help,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.java.softwaretools,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 18:11:56 -0400

Knowledge Seeker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a full-featured yet easy to use text editor to
> replace Notepad.  Ideally, I would like a tool that is cross-platform
> or has versions for Win98 and Linux.  The main platform requirement
> would be Win98 and the nice-to-have platform is Linux.
>
> There seem to be a plethora of choices that might work:
> UltraEdit
> TextPad
> EditPlus
> WinEdit
> Multi-Edit
> Zeus
> CRiSP
>
> Right now I am leaning to UltraEdit but I have not done a true
> rigorous evaluation.  I would definitely like to hear from anybody
> that has done a true objective comparative evaluation of these
> products (or others that I have not listed).
>
> My actual requirements are:
>
> Must haves:
> 1.      Syntax highlighting (with color and or font) for HTML and Java
> 2.      Robust cut and paste including row, AND column AND block
> capabilities
> 3.      Split and join functions based on margin or specified column
> 4.      Ability to intelligently remove prefix characters (i.e. ">") and
> re-format text to new margins keeping paragraphs intact (i.e. fixing
> forwarded email text)
> 5.      Ability to edit multiple files side-by-side
> 6.      Ability to compare files and synchronize multiple similar files
> flagging differences
> 7.      Robust search and replace capabilities (ideally supporting
> regular expressions)
> 8.      Line numbering
> 9.      Column numbering
> 10.     Auto-completion (based on customizable template)of common
> programming statements
> 11.     Ability to preview HTML pages (including Java applets) easily
> 12.     HTML toolbar (I know I should know all the tags but I just cannot
> remember them all)

  WIMP!

> 13.     Can be used as a replacement for Notepad (so it must be
> relatively quick and have a small footprint)
> 14.     Highlights URL and e-mail addresses and launches browser or email
> client in a separate window when clicked
> 15.     Ability to change case for entire selected text
> 16.     Auto indent based on user-defined templates for each programming
> language
> 17.     Auto alignment (I.e. if I want a set of lines with the "=" sign
> or decimal point or comma aligned on multiple rows)
> 18.     Undo capability
>
> Nice to haves:
> 1. Syntax highlighting for Perl, C/C++, and SQL.  Also, extensibility
> for other programming languages based on easily customized syntax
> files.
> 2. Ability to use FTP

That's not the job of a text editor, but most good editors can
handle TFTP with a user-defined macro in a startup file.

> 3. Spell checker
> 4. Ability to compile from within the editor
> 5. Keystroke save/execute (i.e. macro capability)

try VIM.  Does everything EXCEPT #12.

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,
        Special Interest Sierra Club,
        Anarchist Members of the ACLU
        The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
        Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

    you are lazy, stupid people"

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

   her behavior improves.

   ...despite (C) above.

   direction that she doesn't like.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: kernel panic, killing interrupt handler
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 22:36:59 +0000 (UTC)

I've got 4 ethernet adapters in PCI and video adapter in PCI. All PCI
slots are busy.
Kernel 2.4.2
two ne-2k and two rtl 8139
Server is a gate to Internet for e.g 200 computers in LAN.
Sometimes (probably when the traffic is huge) my server
crashes and I get such error:

Code: 89 72 04 89 15 C0 BD 25 C0 C7 00 00 00 00 00 C7 40 04 00 00
Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler
In interrupt handler - not syncing

I used ksymoops and I got:
ksymoops 2.3.7 on i686 2.4.2.  Options used
     -v /usr/src/linux/vmlinux (specified)
     -k /proc/ksyms (default)
     -l /proc/modules (default)
     -o /lib/modules/2.4.2 (specified)
     -m /boot/System.map (specified)

Warning (compare_maps): mismatch on symbol __module_author  , 8139too says c883bd00,
/lib/modules/2.4.2/net/8139too.o says c8839040.  Ignoring
/lib/modules/2.4.2/net/8139too.o entry
Warning (compare_maps): mismatch on symbol __module_description  , 8139too says
c883bd40, /lib/modules/2.4.2/net/8139too.o says c8839080.  Ignoring
/lib/modules/2.4.2/net/8139too.o entry
Warning (compare_maps): mismatch on symbol __module_parm_max_interrupt_work  , 8139too
says c883bd90, /lib/modules/2.4.2/net/8139too.o says c88390d0.  Ignoring
/lib/modules/2.4.2/net/8139too.o entry
Warning (compare_maps): mismatch on symbol __module_parm_media  , 8139too says
c883bdaa, /lib/modules/2.4.2/net/8139too.o says c88390ea.  Ignoring
/lib/modules/2.4.2/net/8139too.o entry
Warning (compare_maps): mismatch on symbol __module_parm_multicast_filter_limit  ,
8139too says c883bd72, /lib/modules/2.4.2/net/8139too.o says c88390b2.  Ignoring
/lib/modules/2.4.2/net/8139too.o entry
Warning (compare_maps): mismatch on symbol __module_author  , ne2k-pci says c8836e40,
/lib/modules/2.4.2/net/ne2k-pci.o says c8837220.  Ignoring
/lib/modules/2.4.2/net/ne2k-pci.o entry
Warning (compare_maps): mismatch on symbol __module_description  , ne2k-pci says
c8836e80, /lib/modules/2.4.2/net/ne2k-pci.o says c8837260.  Ignoring
/lib/modules/2.4.2/net/ne2k-pci.o entry
Warning (compare_maps): mismatch on symbol __module_parm_debug  , ne2k-pci says
c8836ea4, /lib/modules/2.4.2/net/ne2k-pci.o says c8837284.  Ignoring
/lib/modules/2.4.2/net/ne2k-pci.o entry
Warning (compare_maps): mismatch on symbol __module_parm_full_duplex  , ne2k-pci says
c8836ec3, /lib/modules/2.4.2/net/ne2k-pci.o says c88372a3.  Ignoring
/lib/modules/2.4.2/net/ne2k-pci.o entry
Warning (compare_maps): mismatch on symbol __module_parm_options  , ne2k-pci says
c8836eb1, /lib/modules/2.4.2/net/ne2k-pci.o says c8837291.  Ignoring
/lib/modules/2.4.2/net/ne2k-pci.o entry
Code: 89 72 04 89 15 C0 BD 25 C0 C7 00 00 00 00 00 C7 40 04 00 00
Using defaults from ksymoops -t elf32-i386 -a i386

Code;  00000000 Before first symbol
00000000 <_EIP>:
Code;  00000000 Before first symbol
   0:   89 72 04                  mov    %esi,0x4(%edx)
Code;  00000003 Before first symbol
   3:   89 15 c0 bd 25 c0         mov    %edx,0xc025bdc0
Code;  00000009 Before first symbol
   9:   c7 00 00 00 00 00         movl   $0x0,(%eax)
Code;  0000000f Before first symbol
   f:   c7 40 04 00 00 00 00      movl   $0x0,0x4(%eax)

10 warnings issued.  Results may not be reliable.

but I don't know what to do with it and where to look for a reason.
Please help. I would prefer answers to priv.

--
dziadzi

------------------------------

From: Becca Sibrack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Conference on File and Storage Systems (FAST) Call for Papers
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 15:50:39 -0700

in cooperation with ACM SIGOPS and IEEE TCOS

File and storage systems are critical to business and society, holding
the "crown jewels" of most Information Age organizations and dictating
the performance of most computer systems. Storage density has increased
at 100% per year for the past three years (60% per year for
the past 30 years), but this is barely enough to keep up with the
storage demands of the modern economy. Digital media and electronic
commerce stretch storage system design with problems not encountered a
few years ago.

FAST brings together the top storage systems researchers and
practitioners, providing a premier forum for discussing the design,
implementation, and uses of storage systems. It aims to bring together
the best work in file and storage systems in one venue. The large number
of file systems papers presented at all operating system conferences
shows that there is no shortage of research in this area. FAST will be
the successor to IOPADS, which for several years was the top conference
dedicated to parallel and distributed I/O systems.

The conference will consist of two days of technical presentations,
including refereed papers, invited talks, and an introductory keynote
address. A session of work-in-progress presentations is planned, and
informal Birds-of-a-Feather sessions may be organized by attendees.
Refereed papers will be published in the Proceedings.

The FAST 2002 Program Committee invites you to contribute your ideas,
proposals and papers for, the invited talks program, refereed papers
track, and Work-in-Progress Reports. We welcome submissions that address
any and all issues relating to File and Storage Systems.

The Call for Papers with submission guidelines and suggested topics is
now available at: http://www.usenix.org/events/fast/cfp/

Submissions are due July 13, 2001.

We look forward to seeing you in Monterey in January 2002!

Sincerely,

Darrell Long, Program Chair

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Platt)
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 22:51:18 -0000

In article <MRMy6.11010$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Grant Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Exactly.  They sort of went for the 90% solution.  It works in
>90% of the installations, and there were always other
>higher-priority things that worrying about the last 10%.

In an earlier era, the King would have decreed a suitable punishment
for this sort of misfeasance.  Something along the line of skinning,
salting, quartering, beheading, burning the remains, and then sending
the designer to Detroit.

>The problem only appears when poeple have a slow link in the
>network and use routers that will concatenate packets when
>they're queue for re-transmission.  The temporary fix was
>to add delays between write() operations, or to intersperse
>write() operations that generate a response, then wait for the
>resonse.

This will work fine, up until the moment you're doing something
critical with the system - demo'ing it to an all-company meeting,
having it audited for safety issues by the Consumer Product Safety
Commission or the FTC, or something like that.

At that point, the Perversity of the Universe will combine with the
latent panic-detection feature of this design, and it'll melt down in
front of your eyes.

This particular design is a nice example of Weinberg's Second Law:

  "If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the
   first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."

--
Dave Platt                                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Visit the Jade Warrior home page:  http://www.radagast.org/jade-warrior/

Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 18:47:07 -0500
From: Robert Redelmeier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cpu scheduling problem

¹Úµ¿±¹ wrote:

> If you look into the source code, you can find the fact that when a new
> process enters runqueue, it is located at the tail of the queue.

That makes me think:  What would happen if new processes
were put _at the head_ of the run queue???

Of course, daemonic spawners would cause trouble and
unfairly hog resources.

But the run-of-the-mill well-behaved app might see
better response.  I suspect most threads either block
on IO or terminate very quickly.  No real purpose
it making it wait all through the queue.  Better
response at a slighly lower performance for CPU
hogs that eat up their slice.

Comments?

-- Robert  "You have to play the hand you are dealt in Silicon."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 23:57:59 GMT

Robert Redelmeier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> ¹Úµ¿±¹ wrote:
> >
> > If you look into the source code, you can find the fact that when a new
> > process enters runqueue, it is located at the tail of the queue.
>
> That makes me think:  What would happen if new processes
> were put _at the head_ of the run queue???
>
> Of course, daemonic spawners would cause trouble and
> unfairly hog resources.
>
> But the run-of-the-mill well-behaved app might see
> better response.  I suspect most threads either block
> on IO or terminate very quickly.  No real purpose
> it making it wait all through the queue.  Better
> response at a slighly lower performance for CPU
> hogs that eat up their slice.
>
> Comments?

I suspect you won't likely get a whole lot of improved response out of
your strategy; it should really only provide any substantive boost the
very first time the program gets a "slice" of time.

After that, the system works through the in order, which means that
being "first" in the queue means that the system goes through all the
rest of the queue before getting back.  Which is the same as being
"last," where the system goes through the same _all the rest of the
queue_ before getting back.

You might want to take a look at the "Evolutionary Scheduler":
  <http://www.iit.edu/~linjinl/esep.html>
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.mca@" "enworbbc"))
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/resume.html

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to the
comp.os.linux.development.system newsgroup.