From: Pasztor Szilard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Frequent function call (rtc?)
Date: 5 Apr 2001 15:40:58 GMT

hi,

  I have a process that should be controllable. It should invoke a function
many times a second ranging from let's say 30 to 120, and the user should be
able to tell the exact frequency. I'm a beginner at realtime-like
programming and asking for some ideas.
RTlinux is not an alternative for me, the program must be portable and run
on a standard linux installation. I have made attempts with rtc (irq8) and
it seems to be pretty accurate but sometimes it seems like the kernel is
blocking this irq and i get a negative time interval (about once out of 100)
at a 64Hz call frequency (test). This might be due to the overhead of
gettimeofday() however.
So i have to build up a controllable delay up to a little less than 1/120
second. With rtc and its power-of-2 delays it's possible to wait for
multiple irq calls and setting them to different frequencies all the time
so that they add up to the desired time but it's pretty uncomfortable.
Is there any other way to do this? usleep and others of course don't help
since they cannot overcome the 100Hz scheduler limit. The delay must have a
normal distribution in a second.

thanks for any help,
s.

         |  I have to take care of myself well because there's only  |
         |     one out of me. Others have numerical superiority,     |
         |             they are much easier to replace.              |

From: "Paul Kinnucan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.shareware.programmer,comp.editors,comp.lang.java.help,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.java.softwaretools,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 11:51:14 -0400

Hi,

Emacs/JDE fulfills all of your requirements, is free, is used to teach Java
in many universities around the world, is used by professional developers in
large well-known companies like Sun and Xerox and IBM and HP as well as in
smaller companies, and has an active mailing list of more than 600
developers. Available from

http:/jde.sunsite.dk

- Paul

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: turbo linux
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 00:21:06 +0800

can anyone know which is a good newsgroups about turbolinux?
thank you!

------------------------------

From: James Stephens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel Panic in Network Interface
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 12:25:35 -0400

No, I have not... there is no "linux-up" option in lilo.conf... do I just
need to recompile the kernel and select NO to smp modules???

btw, I from a workstation I can ping the problem server and get responses
but I cannot telnet to the box...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: turbo linux
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 17:08:25 GMT

"mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> can anyone know which is a good newsgroups about turbolinux?

That will depend on the question.  There is NO newsgroup addressing
TurboLinux in general, so you'll have to categorize your questions.

- Questions about network issues probably should get directed to
  comp.os.linux.networking.

- Questions about X should probably head to comp.os.linux.x

- Questions about the development of the operating system, and perhaps
  critical libraries, belong in this newsgroup.  [Your question didn't.]

- Questions about the development of applications might head to
  comp.os.linux.development.apps

- A lot of miscellanea heads to comp.os.linux.misc

- Inane babbling about how great/terrible Linux is should go to
  comp.os.linux.advocacy.
--
(concatenate 'string "aa454" "@freenet.carleton.ca")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/resume.html

------------------------------

From: Toby Haynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 05 Apr 2001 13:10:23 -0400

On Wed, 04 Apr 2001, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> James Stephens  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Problem : when I attempt to use the route command, loopback works BUT
>>the route to the gateway MOST
>>(90%) often chokes... and crashes the entire box with the following
>>error...
>>
>>Kernel Panic: skput: over: d0070fe4: 4096 put 4096 dev:tr0
>>In swapper task - not syncing
>>
>>Details : I have a dual processor box running Linux kernel version
>>2.2.16 and  a token ring adapter.
>
> Sounds like either the token ring driver is broken or your adapter
> is.  You might want to check 2.2.19 for a new driver.
>
> Hasn't IBM given up on token ring yet?

As far as new cards maybe, but there are a load of token ring cards used around
here. Not that I've played with one on an SMP box - all the linux boxes I've
configured have one processor. That said, I had some funnies with the Mandrake
7.2 distro kernel crashing the machine for which I blame one of the 170+
patches on the Mandrake 2.2.17 kernel. Which one I'm not so sure...

Anyway, if you are using a kernel compiled by one of the distribution makers,
try a clean kernel too.

Cheers,
Toby Haynes

--

Toby Haynes
The views and opinions expressed in this message are my own, and do

------------------------------

From: "Mr. Oogie Boogie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Embedded Linux development?
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 14:35:51 -0400

R.L.C. Enterprises (www.RLC.com) makes a really nice single board
computers with touch screen lcd's (CE-SBC-SC400) for a reasonable
price (which is exactly what I'm looking for).  The problem is that it
comes with Windows CE (which I wont touch).  When I asked them about
Linux support this was their reply:

"There is a lot of talk and interest in using Linux on our embedded
computers, but as of yet we have not located a company which supports
truly embedded version of the product suitable for embedded
controllers like
the ones we manufacture.  Our products are fully supported using
Windows CE
as well as Visual basic and Visual C++ for application program
development.
If you know of a company with the same type of support and can furnish
platform builder for porting Linux  to a truly embedded controller.
Not just
another PC platform, we would be extremely interested. I am not sure
it
exist or is even possible at this time though.

Thank You for Your Interest.

Robert"

Their email is [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you have helpful advice.

--
Ralph A. Preston
The MITRE Corporation

------------------------------

From: "Craig Orsinger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Zombies and daemons
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 19:30:56 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Josef Moellers"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hubert wrote:
>
>> I am almost sure, that there are more (perhaps more sophisticated) ways
>> to achieve this.  Does anybody have a better way? I still do not
>> understand, why in my first tries calling waitpid() returns  -1.
>
> One can set up a signal handler for SIGCHLD which then calls wait() to
> eliminate the zombie.

        If you are just using wait() to get rid of the zombie (IOW, to handle
SIGCHLD to make the child process go away), then you can just use
signal(SIGCHLD, SIG_IGN) to ignore the SIGCHLD signal. Read the
 man page on signal(2) for an explanation of how to do this.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To:
alt.computer.drivers,alt.os.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Win Modems
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 05 Apr 2001 15:40:18 -0400

Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> "LittleFish" <littlefish_au[SPAM ME AT YOUR OWN RISK]@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > It seems as if more and more people using Windows
> > are very dissapointed over the performance of there Lucent Winmodems. In the
> > last week I have met 3 people that have taken back there Lucent Winmodem
> > because it drops out regularly. If your machine is slower 300Mhz or is
> > running a CPU intensive task in the background you can bet that it will drop
> > out. Give me a real modem anyday!! By the way real internal modems are
> > getting hard to source. Does anyone have suggestions for a Internal Fax
> > Voice Data modem?
>
> one word _EXTERNAL_.  yes, i know you said internal but why not expand
> your possibilities?  since most mice these days are ps/2 or usb, you
> probably have nothing on your rs232 ports.  why not use it?

Some machines don't have serial ports.  Some of us already have too many other
things on our serial ports (on my system, I have a ups, an X-10 controller, a
Palm hot-sync cradle, and the embedded board I'm currently testing).

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
Work:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]           phone: +1 978-486-9304

------------------------------

From: "Mike Austin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 2.4 kernels
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 16:19:35 -0400

Is there a good guide on 2.4 device drivers, or a porting guide for porting
a device driver from 2.2 to 2.4?  Specifically, block devices?  I haven't
been able to find a good guide, and I would like one before the second
edition of "Linux Device Drivers" comes out.  Thank you!
Michael Austin

------------------------------

From: Ulrich Eckhardt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie question: how to debug threaded functions
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 09:50:46 +0200

Thomas A. Anderson wrote:
> I'm recently learning to create multi-threaded programs using the pthread
> library in Linux.  I recently run into a problem in which the GDB compiler
> cannot see what is happening inside the threaded function. Debugging info
> just points to the line just before the thread starts to execute. I would
> like to see what is happening inside my threaded code.

There's an integrated help-system ('help') that helps for the first hops.
Commands you'll surely need are
info threads
thread 'x'
bt
list
up/down

The problem you describe reminds me of the behaviour when it has no source
for somewhere a break occured ....

hth
Uli

------------------------------

From: "Norman Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: pthread - threads and semaphores - help!
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 13:33:35 -0700

> I have since found that -D_GNU_SOURCE, I think, will permit recursive
> mutexes (by looking at pthread.h) but am not using it so far. I found no
way

LinuxThreads does not default to recursive mutexes, so you will have to set
that up with mutex attributes.

> However, any thread finishing will stop the whole program. The 'man'
implies
> exit from the thread function given in start thread just finishes the
> thread. I tried pthread_exit(0) to no avail.

This is what my threads do. I just return from the thread procedure, so I
have no idea what to say about this.

--
Norman Black
Stony Brook Software

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Platt)
Crossposted-To:
alt.computer.drivers,alt.os.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 20:43:02 -0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Michael Meissner  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>                      Does anyone have suggestions for a Internal Fax
>> > Voice Data modem?
>>
>> one word _EXTERNAL_.  yes, i know you said internal but why not expand
>> your possibilities?  since most mice these days are ps/2 or usb, you
>> probably have nothing on your rs232 ports.  why not use it?
>
>Some machines don't have serial ports.  Some of us already have too many other
>things on our serial ports (on my system, I have a ups, an X-10 controller, a
>Palm hot-sync cradle, and the embedded board I'm currently testing).

It looks as if Zoom still has one model which might meet your needs.
Their model 2920 is a 56k, PCI, controller-based modem with Fax Class
1 and voice support.  If you go to www.zoom.com, select the Modems/USA
page, click the boxes for Internal PCI and Linux and 56k and do a
search, this is the one which comes up.

--
Dave Platt                                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Visit the Jade Warrior home page:  http://www.radagast.org/jade-warrior/

From: Alejandro Parra-Briones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Realtime programming
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 16:01:39 -0500

==============E48CC286B5C8C7F1EB974889

Thin:
    There are several but the best are:
    KURT-Linux, LINUXRK and RED-LInux
Regards

--
Alejandro Parra-Briones
ITTC University of Kansas

==============E48CC286B5C8C7F1EB974889

Thin:
can do a search with key
href="news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]</a>...
a thing

<pre>--&nbsp;
Alejandro Parra-Briones
ITTC University of Kansas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(785) 8647774</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: 05 Apr 2001 15:09:35 -0600

"Paul Kinnucan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Emacs/JDE fulfills all of your requirements, is free, is used to teach Java
> in many universities around the world, is used by professional developers in
> large well-known companies like Sun and Xerox and IBM and HP as well as in
> smaller companies, and has an active mailing list of more than 600
> developers. Available from
>
> http:/jde.sunsite.dk

I must throw in my vote for XEmacs/Emacs as well (XEmacs is just
prettier); although a programmer's editor is much like a choice of
underware:  use what's comfortable for you, and avoid the ones that
rub you the wrong way.

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard
Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to the
comp.os.linux.development.system newsgroup.