From: "Crystal Luo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: gdm killed mysteriously?
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:10:26 +0800

Dear all,

This is urgent! I can boot Linux Redhat 7.0 up to the level that I can see
"MyComputerName: login. But then the gnome desktop won't be shown, and I get
flickering screen and the message:

According to /var/run/gdm.pid, gdm was already running (xxxxpid), but seems
to have been murdered mysteriously.

Possible to fix it?

I urgently need to do something on this platform. Please help me. Thank you
very much.

Crystal

------------------------------

From: "JLI" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.shareware.programmer,comp.editors,comp.lang.java.help,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.java.softwaretools,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 06:00:03 GMT

From: Noe Nieto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KERNEL PANIC on Mandrake 7.2
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 06:30:04 -0000

well I reinsatlled the whole ssystem but i did not forced the kernel to
boot up 128M of RAM i let it to detect 64... and everything is happy...
Iguess i hae to recompile my kernel

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Limit in variable size in device driver?
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 05:36:49 GMT

Hello,

Recently, I modified a Linux device driver to suit my needs. I
increased the buffer size inside the device driver. This is how it
goes:

Before:

char buf[4608];

After:

char buf[46080];

After the change was made, I complied the kernel successfully. (BTW,
the device driver was not made to be a module but as inline together
with the kernel.) However, when I tried to boot the new kernel, the
kernel stops booting halfway with an oops! error message, claiming
that a NULL pointer dereferencing failed to get the correct page.

Is there a limit to the size of my variables declared within the
device driver? If yes, what is the limit?

Thanks.
David

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Goldhammer)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 07:02:20 GMT

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 04:06:19 GMT,
Thore B. Karlsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 01:06:51 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Goldhammer) wrote:
>
>>>Didn't read all of your requiremnets, but EMACS is THE editor.  Like it
>>>or not, it what all other editors try to be.
>
>>Vi does not try to be Emacs.
>
>And thank heavens for that.

Consider how many elisp packages
there are providing emulation modes
for other editors, including one for vi.
Then you will see that it is not
"all the other editors" that are trying
to be Emacs, but that Emacs is trying
to be "all the other editors".

--
Don't think you are. Know you are.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thore B. Karlsen)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 07:16:20 GMT

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 07:02:20 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Goldhammer) wrote:

>>>Vi does not try to be Emacs.

>>And thank heavens for that.

>Consider how many elisp packages
>there are providing emulation modes
>for other editors, including one for vi.
>Then you will see that it is not
>"all the other editors" that are trying
>to be Emacs, but that Emacs is trying
>to be "all the other editors".

Once the shift-ctrl-meta double cokebottles take their toll it must be nice
to switch to vi/Viper. :) Emacs is a pain to use on my laptop because of the
insane key combinations. Vi wins hands down. And ever since I found out that
vim could be set up in about 3 lines to behave like I wanted it to behave,
while I never ever got Emacs to behave properly even with an .emacs the size
of a book I haven't used Emacs on my desktop either.

Sure, Emacs is configurable, but only with a lot of work. And even then it
might not be the right editor for you, so it's not the right answer for
everyone.

--
"By the time we've finished with him, he won't know whether
he's Number Six or the cube root of infinity!"

------------------------------

From: John Hawkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 10 Apr 2001 03:26:21 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thore B. Karlsen) writes:

> Once the shift-ctrl-meta double cokebottles take their toll it must be nice
> to switch to vi/Viper. :) Emacs is a pain to use on my laptop because of the
> insane key combinations. Vi wins hands down. And ever since I found out that
> vim could be set up in about 3 lines to behave like I wanted it to behave,
> while I never ever got Emacs to behave properly even with an .emacs the size
> of a book I haven't used Emacs on my desktop either.
>
> Sure, Emacs is configurable, but only with a lot of work. And even then it
> might not be the right editor for you, so it's not the right answer for
> everyone.

I'm too devoted to all the mode-based functionality that emacs offers
to leave it behind, but I'm a devoted Viper user after just a couple
weeks of exposure.  The vi keybindings are fantastic.  Dual mode seems
unnatural at first, but if you just think of editing as a game, it's
pretty painless to pick up, and heavens! what good use you can put
that real estate to!

For anyone who wants to try viper, may I cordially invite you to check
out my Introduction to Viper for Emacs Natives at

http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~jshawkins/viper-sample

(This has met with the author's approval for inclusion, and I would
love to have people try it out and comment on it so I can polish it!)

Regards,

John

PS note this is for EMACS users who want to learn VI.  If you're going
the other direction, you needn't bother with my intro.  Going from vi
to emacs was the whole motive for viper in the first place, so I have
nothing to add.  :)

PPS emacs is rather a pain to configure in depth for new users, but I
would argue that its default behavior is no less reasonable than vim,
and also point to the EMacro project at sourceforge, which is
attempting to make it even smoother.  Check it out!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:47:21 +0200
From: Jan Atle Ramsli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Clear

Lew Pitcher wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Mar 2001 15:27:53 +0100, Jan Pietrusky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >I'd found a easy answer
> >
> >void clear()
> >{
> >  pid_t clear;
> >  if(!(clear = fork()))
> >    {
> >      execl("/usr/bin/clear", NULL);
> >      exit(0);
> >    }
> >  return;
> >}
The only thing I have come across that works on all terminals, except
where the console has more than 24 lines, is this

  puts("\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n");

Atle

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Malcolm Beattie)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: A Linux emulator for Linux, does this exist?
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 08:55:01 +0000 (UTC)

In article <VZoA6.12580$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Grant Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <9at3ri$gc3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Hermann Samso wrote:
>
>>      I am searching for a Linux emulator for Linux. Does such
>>      a beast exist?
>
>Yes.  You can run multiple instances of Linux on an IBM 390.
>One guy at IBM reportedly had 4000+ instances of Linux running
>on a signle box.  It's a very cool concept: instead of racks

Oops, you're damning Linux/390 under VM with faint praise :-)
You dropped a zero: it was over 40000 (forty thousand) not 4000
(four thousand). Actually, it was 41400 before the system refused to
create any new instances. For details, see the "Trilogy" papers at:
    http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/library/whitepapers/linux_trilogy.html

Moreover, since then he's had just under 100000 running on a larger
system (G6 ZZ7, I think) and yesterday one of the IBM guys released
the first version of a patch to remove one of the main scalability
problems in running lots of Linux guests under VM (the 100HZ timer pop).

--Malcolm

--
Malcolm Beattie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Oxford University Computing Services

------------------------------

From: Claire Troussier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.linux.embedded
Subject: Linux stand-alone boot
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:43:22 +0200

I would like to know if documentation exits describing how to configure
and build Linux kernel to boot a target in stand alone mode. The target
is based on a PowerPC MPC8240.

Thank you for your interest

Claire

------------------------------

From: "Fruitbat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Glibc 2.2.2 Make Check Errors
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 09:43:09 GMT

OK, problem solved, if anyone else has had the same problem I managed to
solve it by removing the --enable-kernel= option.

I don't know why this has worked but it did for me, Glibc 2.2.2 now builds
and checks with no problems.

I am still curious to know what the "error 139" means though, if anyone can
help in that regard or provide a pointer to returned error number meanings
it would be much appreciated.

------------------------------

From: Massimiliano Caovilla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: req_finished_io unresolved symbol
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 10:19:56 GMT

        Hello
I have a scsi driver (for an optical jukebox) wich I wrote with linux
RedHat 6.2, kernel 2.2.14-5 : I'm now testing with RedHat 7.0 (kernel
2.2.16-22) and I found that in scsi.h, end_scsi_request() now calls
req_finished_io(): the problem is that I get an unresolved symbol when I
tryied to insmod the compiled module. How do I get around this? I think
that I can't even recompile the standard modules like sd!
        Please help

Massimiliano

------------------------------

From: Bernhard Mogens Ege <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: req_finished_io unresolved symbol
Date: 10 Apr 2001 12:35:35 +0200

>       Hello
> I have a scsi driver (for an optical jukebox) wich I wrote with linux
> RedHat 6.2, kernel 2.2.14-5 : I'm now testing with RedHat 7.0 (kernel
> 2.2.16-22) and I found that in scsi.h, end_scsi_request() now calls
> req_finished_io(): the problem is that I get an unresolved symbol when I
> tryied to insmod the compiled module. How do I get around this? I think
> that I can't even recompile the standard modules like sd!
>       Please help

I believe you need to recompile the kernel, but first after adding
this line:

EXPORT_SYMBOL(req_finished_io);

to drivers/block/ll_rw_blk.c.

This is also required if sg og sr (can't remember exactly which scsi
module) is to be installed as a module.

regards,

Bernhard Ege

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matan Ziv-Av)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:21:44 GMT

On 9 Apr 2001 19:51:14 GMT, Hermann Samso wrote:
>       I am searching for a Linux emulator for Linux. Does such
>       a beast exist? I think this could be useful for System
>       developement, without needing to have more than 1 powerful
>       computer for programming and testing.

User-mode linux might be useful for you. You can find links in lkml
archives.

--
Matan Ziv-Av.                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Gareth Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 12:39:01 GMT

Hermann Samso <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>       I am searching for a Linux emulator for Linux. Does such
>       a beast exist? I think this could be useful for System
>       developement, without needing to have more than 1 powerful
>       computer for programming and testing.

vmware

Gareth

------------------------------

From: Kasper Dupont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: gdm killed mysteriously?
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:42:09 +0000

Crystal Luo wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> This is urgent! I can boot Linux Redhat 7.0 up to the level that I can see
> "MyComputerName: login. But then the gnome desktop won't be shown, and I get
> flickering screen and the message:
>
> According to /var/run/gdm.pid, gdm was already running (xxxxpid), but seems
> to have been murdered mysteriously.
>
> Possible to fix it?
>
> I urgently need to do something on this platform. Please help me. Thank you
> very much.
>
> Crystal

Do you see the graphical login screen or only
the text based login screens?

Try doing this to find the reason for your
problem:

1. Start up in Runlevel 3, you can do that by
   typing "linux 3" on the boot: prompt. On
   RedHat 7.0 you have to press Ctrl-X when
   you see the first RedHat logo to get a
   prompt.

2. When the system has started up log in as
   root and start X manualy by typing "X".

3. If X fails to start it should have printed
   on or more error messages on the screen.

4. If X starts and actually stays visible on
   the screen for 10 seconds stop it again by
   pressing Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

5. Try starting an X session by typing "startx"

Tell us what happens when you do this, then
we might be able to tell you what goes wrong.

--
Kasper Dupont

------------------------------

From: Kasper Dupont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Limit in variable size in device driver?
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:51:02 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Recently, I modified a Linux device driver to suit my needs. I
> increased the buffer size inside the device driver. This is how it
> goes:
>
> Before:
>
> char buf[4608];
>
> After:
>
> char buf[46080];
>
> After the change was made, I complied the kernel successfully. (BTW,
> the device driver was not made to be a module but as inline together
> with the kernel.) However, when I tried to boot the new kernel, the
> kernel stops booting halfway with an oops! error message, claiming
> that a NULL pointer dereferencing failed to get the correct page.
>
> Is there a limit to the size of my variables declared within the
> device driver? If yes, what is the limit?
>
> Thanks.
> David

Is it allocated inside a function?

If the array is allocated on a stack the limit is
approx 4K. If it is not on a stack I would expect
that you could allocate 1MB without problems.

For each process there is allocated 8KB of memory,
the task structure is placed at the begining while
the stack starts from the end. The intention is
that both uses at most 4KB. Since the task
structure is probably smaller than 4KB you can use
more than 4KB stack space without crashing the
system. Allocating 4608 bytes on a kernel stack is
not a good idea, but would probably work in most
cases. I would expect it to be very close to the
limit.

--
Kasper Dupont

------------------------------

From: Markus Fischer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to modify dynamic lib ?
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 15:54:09 +0200

this seems to do it,
however it looks like I am having this very small problem ;-)

bender:~/sockets # export LD_PRELOAD=/root/malloc_example/intercept.so; export
LD_PRELOAD
bender:~/sockets # ls
ls: error while loading shared libraries: /root/malloc_example/intercept.so: ELF
file's phentsize
not the expected size

I used

gcc -shared (-fPIC) -o intercept.so -c intercept.c

it's a Suse Linux libc system

thanks for help,
Markus

Jonathan Buzzard wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>         Markus Fischer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > I would like to replace a function in a dynamic lib.
> >
> > assumed I have a mylibc.so.6 file and nm
> > shows me the functions in the library.
> >
> > how can I compile and add/replace the function in
> > the original dynamic library ?
> >

> Write the new function, compile into a new library and use LD_PRELOAD
>
> JAB.
>
> --
> Jonathan A. Buzzard                 Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44(0)1661-832195

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to the
comp.os.linux.development.system newsgroup.