  Virtual Terminal ("Marcello Botrugno")

From: Ken Tough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.shareware.programmer,comp.editors,comp.lang.java.help,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.java.softwaretools,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 10:27:50 -0400

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> 12.     HTML toolbar (I know I should know all the tags but I just cannot
>> remember them all)

>try VIM.  Does everything EXCEPT #12.

You could use macro definitions for that, too.

I am also extremely impressed by gvim.
--
Ken Tough

------------------------------

From: Markus Fischer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to modify dynamic lib ?
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 16:35:08 +0200

after further reading I found an example in the HOW TO's :

gcc -shared -Wl,-soname,your_soname \
     -o library_name file_list library_list

 gcc -fPIC -g -c -Wall a.c
 gcc -fPIC -g -c -Wall b.c
 gcc -shared -Wl,-soname,libmystuff.so.1 \
     -o libmystuff.so.1.0.1 a.o b.o -lc

------------------------------

Date: 10 Apr 2001 10:24:29 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Suppressing Redhat bootup output
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Joe Pfeiffer;

 JP> "Johnny A. Solbu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>> A significant number of Linux users do NOT leave their=20
>> computers powered ON when they are done computing.
>> Also a significant number of Linux users does not run a server
>> or have a 24/7 connection. They don't even have a LAN.
>>
>> So shutting down their boxes is as natural as eating every day.

 JP> Dunno...  it seems to me that the population of users who are running
 JP> systems that go up/down as you describe, but who don't have machines
 JP> that do APM, should be getting fairly small by now.  The only machine
 JP> I've got that gets ``powered down'' on a regular basis is my laptop,
 JP> and it justs gets suspended/restored (except for upgrades and failures
 JP> to watch the batery level once in a while!).  Not many reboots...

 JP> And even if we accept that a machine goes down at night and comes up
 JP> in the morning, I'm pretty much at a loss to understand somebody not
 JP> wanting to see the messages.  The general concept of not wanting
 JP> information escapes me...

 JP> As an aside, the one thing I really miss from RedHat (I switched to
 JP> Debian a while ago) is the bootup procedure.  I prefer having the
 JP> rcX.d scripts linked to subdirectories of /etc/init.d, and the green
 JP> [OK] was really reassuring.  That's a pretty minor loss, compared to
 JP> the ease in upgrades, though.  Yes, I've read about RPM upgrade systems
 JP> that have come out recently that are described as being as nice as
 JP> dselect.  Last fall, dselect and the difficulty of keeping the various
 JP> RPM variants provided me with a compelling reason to switch to
 JP> Debian.  RPM will have to improve to the point that there is a
 JP> compelling reason to change before I switch back.  Maybe kernel
 JP> configs?
 JP> --
 JP> Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.       Phone -- (505) 646-1605
 JP> Department of Computer Science       FAX   -- (505) 646-1002
 JP> New Mexico State University          http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~pfeiffer
 JP> SWNMRSEF:  http://www.nmsu.edu/~scifair

While there was a period where rpm had a bit of colic, and its diaper
needed changing frequently, that seems to be past tense now and
everything is working rather nicely, and has been for several months.
There was a certain sequence one had to go thru to upgrade it, demanding
that 3.0.5-9 be used as the bridge from old to new. (or at least thats
how it seemed to me)

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040, Linux @ 500mhz
        email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net

From: "hushui" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: what is the real size of setup.S (the code for booting on i386)
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 22:36:11 +0800

4 sectors????
Some one says ,it will be changed when using build tools??
Is it ??
Thank you

------------------------------

From: "Edwin Lau" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Via + Maxtor + kernel 2.4.3 = crash?
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 15:03:49 GMT

Hi everyone,

    I don't know if my case has anything to do with the via chipset problem.
I use an Asus P3V4X motherboard + maxtor 9000 series hd and kernel 2.4.3.
Once in a while (a couple of days, and seems getting more often now), linux
said the harddisk is busy and not ready for command and some i/o errors. and
it just keeps on saying that until a reboot. the strange thing is that the
bios did not recognize the hd if I reboot using the reset botton. only power
off and back on again solved the problem. the problem often happen with I
was using dselect to upgrade the system. it results in huge file system
corruption.

    I am also wondering what the status of resiefs, it is in production
state like ext2?

    thanx in advance

Edwin Lau

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonathan Buzzard)
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 15:57:12 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Markus Fischer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> this seems to do it,
> however it looks like I am having this very small problem ;-)
>
> bender:~/sockets # export LD_PRELOAD=/root/malloc_example/intercept.so; export
>LD_PRELOAD
> bender:~/sockets # ls
> ls: error while loading shared libraries: /root/malloc_example/intercept.so: ELF
>file's phentsize
> not the expected size
>
> I used
>
> gcc -shared (-fPIC) -o intercept.so -c intercept.c
>
> it's a Suse Linux libc system

Please don't top post. I have only done this once so I could override uname
to fool my banks online banking to work under Linux. It did a Javascript
platform indentification which could be fooled by inserting "Win32" in
the sysname string. I used

     gcc -O2 -Wall -shared -o libuname.so uname.c -ldl

JAB.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:23:33 -0400

Greg Copeland wrote:

> Knowledge Seeker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> Didn't read all of your requiremnets, but EMACS is THE editor.  Like it
> or not, it what all other editors try to be.  Period.  That doesn't mean
> that it's for you, as it does have a rather steep learning curve, however,
> it is THE programmer's editor.

No, no, no, no, no.

Ed is THE editor.
==================
http://www.billabong.demon.co.uk/ed.html

When I log into my Xenix system with my 110 baud teletype, both vi
*and* Emacs are just too damn slow.  They print useless messages like,
'C-h for help' and '"foo" File is read only'.  So I use the editor
that doesn't waste my VALUABLE time.

Ed, man!  !man ed

ED(1)               UNIX Programmer's Manual                ED(1)

NAME
     ed - text editor

SYNOPSIS
     ed [ - ] [ -x ] [ name ]
DESCRIPTION
     Ed is the standard text editor.
---

Computer Scientists love ed, not just because it comes first
alphabetically, but because it's the standard.  Everyone else loves ed
because it's ED!

"Ed is the standard text editor."

And ed doesn't waste space on my Timex Sinclair.  Just look:

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root          24 Oct 29  1929 /bin/ed
-rwxr-xr-t  4 root     1310720 Jan  1  1970 /usr/ucb/vi
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  5.89824e37 Oct 22  1990 /usr/bin/emacs

Of course, on the system *I* administrate, vi is symlinked to ed.
Emacs has been replaced by a shell script which 1) Generates a syslog
message at level LOG_EMERG; 2) reduces the user's disk quota by 100K;
and 3) RUNS ED!!!!!!

"Ed is the standard text editor."

Let's look at a typical novice's session with the mighty ed:

golem> ed

?
help
?
?
?
quit
?
exit
?
bye
?
hello?
?
eat flaming death
?
^C
?
^C
?
^D
?

---
Note the consistent user interface and error reportage.  Ed is
generous enough to flag errors, yet prudent enough not to overwhelm
the novice with verbosity.

"Ed is the standard text editor."

Ed, the greatest WYGIWYG editor of all.

ED IS THE TRUE PATH TO NIRVANA!  ED HAS BEEN THE CHOICE OF EDUCATED
AND IGNORANT ALIKE FOR CENTURIES!  ED WILL NOT CORRUPT YOUR PRECIOUS
BODILY FLUIDS!!  ED IS THE STANDARD TEXT EDITOR!  ED MAKES THE SUN
SHINE AND THE BIRDS SING AND THE GRASS GREEN!!

When I use an editor, I don't want eight extra KILOBYTES of worthless
help screens and cursor positioning code!  I just want an EDitor!!
Not a "viitor".  Not a "emacsitor".  Those aren't even WORDS!!!! ED!
ED! ED IS THE STANDARD!!!

TEXT EDITOR.

When IBM, in its ever-present omnipotence, needed to base their
"edlin" on a UNIX standard, did they mimic vi?  No.  Emacs?  Surely
you jest.  They chose the most karmic editor of all.  The standard.

Ed is for those who can *remember* what they are working on.  If you
are an idiot, you should use Emacs.  If you are an Emacs, you should
not be vi.  If you use ED, you are on THE PATH TO REDEMPTION.  THE
SO-CALLED "VISUAL" EDITORS HAVE BEEN PLACED HERE BY ED TO TEMPT THE
FAITHLESS.  DO NOT GIVE IN!!!  THE MIGHTY ED HAS SPOKEN!!!

?

> Greg
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am looking for a full-featured yet easy to use text editor to
> > replace Notepad.  Ideally, I would like a tool that is cross-platform
> > or has versions for Win98 and Linux.  The main platform requirement
> > would be Win98 and the nice-to-have platform is Linux.
> >
> > There seem to be a plethora of choices that might work:
> > UltraEdit
> > TextPad
> > EditPlus
> > WinEdit
> > Multi-Edit
> > Zeus
> > CRiSP
> [snip]
>
> --
> Greg Copeland, Principal Consultant
> Copeland Computer Consulting
> PGP/GPG Key at http://www.keyserver.net
> DE5E 6F1D 0B51 6758 A5D7  7DFE D785 A386 BD11 4FCD

Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer
DNRC Minister of all I survey
ICQ # 3056642

K: Truth in advertising:
        Special Interest Sierra Club,
        Anarchist Members of the ACLU
        The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
        Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

    you are lazy, stupid people"

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

   her behavior improves.

   ...despite (C) above.

   direction that she doesn't like.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:24:45 -0400

Goldhammer wrote:

> On 09 Apr 2001 11:45:18 -0500,
> Greg Copeland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Didn't read all of your requiremnets, but EMACS is THE editor.  Like it
> >or not, it what all other editors try to be.
>
> Vi does not try to be Emacs.

Thank god....or...should I say..thank Bill (Bill Joy, that is...)

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer
DNRC Minister of all I survey
ICQ # 3056642

K: Truth in advertising:
        Special Interest Sierra Club,
        Anarchist Members of the ACLU
        The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
        Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

    you are lazy, stupid people"

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

   her behavior improves.

   ...despite (C) above.

   direction that she doesn't like.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:28:40 -0400

JLI wrote:

> [...]

Which means that as soon as your on a new machine, your stuck editing
WITHOUT your config file....

UGH.

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer
DNRC Minister of all I survey
ICQ # 3056642

K: Truth in advertising:
        Special Interest Sierra Club,
        Anarchist Members of the ACLU
        The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
        Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

    you are lazy, stupid people"

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

   her behavior improves.

   ...despite (C) above.

   direction that she doesn't like.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Marcello Botrugno" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Virtual Terminal
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:46:12 +0200

Hi all,
I have an application with character interface. My problem is to know, at a
given time,
if the current virtual Terminal (Ctrl+F1..n) is the one on which my
application is running.
I know that under SCO it is possible to receve a signal when the application
looses/gets the focus. Do you know if it is possible to get the same
beaviour under Linux ?.

Tanks

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to the
comp.os.linux.development.system newsgroup.