From: Kasper Dupont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Installing Linux applications.... !!
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:18:56 +0000

Jan Atle Ramsli wrote:

[...]
> Debian is the distro supported by FSF, they also have a preview of FSF's
> own kernel, the Hurd.
[...]

What is the state of HURD?

It was originally supposed to be ready for use
in the late 80's, but the first test release was
made in 1996. Is it actually going to be finished
some day? I thought Linux had removed most of the
interest in the HURD project. Does anybody know
if HURD is going to be a good alternative to
Linux?

--
Kasper Dupont

------------------------------

From: Phillip Lord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.shareware.programmer,comp.editors,comp.lang.java.help,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.java.softwaretools,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor
Date: 11 Apr 2001 17:28:59 +0100

  Gamma> 10 cents of disk space, sure, but 8 bucks worth of memory

        8M of memory. Good gods the expense.

  Gamma> and about 15-50 cents of startup time per startup!  Which is
  Gamma> fine if you're set up to where you can run it once when you
  Gamma> log in in the morning and then leave it up all day,
  Gamma> granted...

  Gamma> And this is just for bare emacs; multiply all numbers by
  Gamma> around 8 or so for xemacs with news, ftp, fried okra, mashed
  Gamma> potatoes, etc...

        You want the additional functionality you have to pay
something for it. Given that the VI user probably also has a news
reader, an ftp client, a mail reader, uses CVS an so on as well, then
I am not sure that the memory usage is that significant.

  Gamma> And 120 more bucks worth of install time if you're in a
  Gamma> consultant position and your client doesn't have emacs
  Gamma> installed, or has the wrong version.

        It takes me about 2 minutes to install a new emacs on
my local system. Thats because I have taken care to write my emacs
customisations (which are pretty extensive) well.

        If you move machines a lot then the advantage of VI clearly
gets greater. In the same way people who swap machines rarely
customise their desktop, or even their shell.

        Or alternatively you get organised and take around what you
need on a cd-rom, or put it somewhere that you can get hold of it
easily.

        The problems are not large, although you do need to be more
organised. The flip side of it of course is that I can work on an IRIX
box, a Sun box, linux, bsd or even windows. Once I have set up my
emacs, I get the same interface and all the functionality that I
require. I can read news/mail, I can browse the file system, and so
on. From within emacs you can do anything. With VI of course you have
to use what the OS provides you with, which is different.

        Emacs and VI are not directly comparable, because they do
such different things.

  Gamma> Bare vi has virtually zero install cost, since it's
  Gamma> everywhere.  Gvim will cost less in install time than a
  Gamma> similar xemacs counterpart.  Starts up instantaneously (even
  Gamma> gvim).  2 cents of disk space.  :-) less than a buck
  Gamma> o'memory.

  Gamma> Vi's not what I would consider full-featured, though.  Either
  Gamma> we can compare bare vi and bare emacs, or gvim and xemacs.
  Gamma> Either way...  Feature-wise, they're practically identical.

        A bare emacs and a bare vi? Version control, mail, calendar,
and diary, a find and grep interface, compile buffers, ange-ftp
(transparent ftp editing). Even a "bare" emacs is pretty functional.

        Phil

------------------------------

From: Kasper Dupont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Limit in variable size in device driver?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:29:31 +0000

David wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:51:02 +0000, Kasper Dupont
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >Is it allocated inside a function?
> >
> >If the array is allocated on a stack the limit is
> >approx 4K. If it is not on a stack I would expect
> >that you could allocate 1MB without problems.
> >
> >For each process there is allocated 8KB of memory,
> >the task structure is placed at the begining while
> >the stack starts from the end. The intention is
> >that both uses at most 4KB. Since the task
> >structure is probably smaller than 4KB you can use
> >more than 4KB stack space without crashing the
> >system. Allocating 4608 bytes on a kernel stack is
> >not a good idea, but would probably work in most
> >cases. I would expect it to be very close to the
> >limit.
> >
> >--
> >Kasper Dupont
>
> First of all, a big thanks for replying to my queries. :-)
>
> This char array is declared as global. It is not declared within any
> function in my device driver. At the same time, it is not declared
> with 'static' too. Could this then be allocated on a stack?? What if I
>
> make this array static? Will it solve the problem too?
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> David

If it is not inside any function it cannot be on any
stack. It sounds a litle strange that increasing the
size of an array can crash the system, the only
posible explanation I can think of is the one that the
sizeof() function is used somewhere to find the size
of this array. If it is used to copy the contents into
another array which you have not made larger that can
explain the crash.

If this is not the case my only sugestion is to
experiment with different sizes. Try 16000 and see
what happens, try different sizes and see what range
of sizes actually work.

--
Kasper Dupont

------------------------------

Subject: Re: How to blank the screen in C?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Haley)
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:00:14 GMT

Kasper Dupont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Paul Haley wrote:
>>
>> I'm working on a small project here and need to be able to blank the
>> screen and bring it back when necessary.  Does anybody have any sample
>> code?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Paul Haley
>
>There is no ANSI C function to blank or unblank the
>screen. Of course in most environments it can be done,
>and it can be done in a lot of different ways.
>
>If you told us what is the environment in which you
>intend to run your program we would be able to give a
>much better answer.
>
>If your question had been:
>How to blank the screen on a Linux Virtual Terminal
>or How to blank the screen in X?
>I could have answered it, but I don't know if that is
>what you want to know or you want to know something
>completely different. Also remember that there are
>different ways to blank the screen, you can make an
>all black image or you can turn off the monitor using
>DPMS. What do you want?

Sorry, I need to blank the screen on a virtual terminal, not in X.  I don't
want to turn off the monitor with DPMS, I just want it to be blanked out.  I
only need this, though, if I can't figure out how to suppress all the
messages on bootup.

Regards,
Paul

------------------------------

From: Randall Parker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:06:06 GMT

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:45:48 -0600 esteemed Dave Martel did'st hold forth thusly:
> >Have you tried Visual Slick Edit's Brief emulation? Its excellent.
> >

> So I've heard, but they're out of their freaking gourds if they think
> I'll pay $300 for a linux programmer's editor.

Well, I spend much larger amounts on hardware and on other software development tools.
Then there is what I get paid for doing stuff. I see that people don't want to pay a
lot
for an editor. But at the same time, editing is the one thing that many of us spend
the
bulk of our time doing.

Some people want to be totally dedicated to Open Source only and that is fine. But for
those of us that are willing to buy commercial dev tools I really don't think $300 is
too much for the most important tool we use.

------------------------------

From: Randall Parker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:07:26 GMT

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 15:42:45 -0500 esteemed Duane Bozarth did'st hold forth thusly:
> She reported back that "Brief technology (!) has been
> incorported into the Borland integrated development enviornment"! and
> "which version did I wish to purchase"?

If only it had been incorporated completely. I was using Brief and BCW and other
Borland
IDEs and wanted to strangle the IDEs in Brief emulation mode when various things
didn't
work right.

------------------------------

From: Randall Parker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:09:57 GMT

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 16:04:36 -0600 esteemed Dave Martel did'st hold forth thusly:
> Under Borland's version it depends on where you are. The first Home
> takes you to the start of the line if you're not already there, but if
> you are then it takes you to the top of the page. Similarly the second
> home takes you to the top of the page if you're not already there,
> else it takes you to the top of the document. So you have to stop and
> think, which is to say stop thinking about your source and start
> thinking about what your editor's going to do.

Yes, exactly. Their macro playback didn't work quite right either because not
everything
you could do got recorded in macros. They had different rules about the use of the
paste
buffer with macros too.

>The window-splitting
> isn't anything like the same either, and for marking blocks you have
> to remember to toggle between columnar and line-oriented marked blocks
> whereas under Brief each has its own unique command.

Yep.

> There are lots of differences like that. Individually they seem small
> but put them all together and they make the difference between an
> editor that lets you think entirely about your code, and one that
> fights you.

Yes, if you know the Brief commands and you are used to flying thru them and then you
try BCW or some other Borland IDE you constantly find wrong things happening.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:22:54 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Grant Edwards
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Wed, 11 Apr 2001 01:46:11 GMT
<DHOA6.1611$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, The Ghost In The
>Machine wrote:
>
>>I pick vi.  For me, that's
>>THE editor -- but I'm not going to say it's best for you,
>>or anyone else. :-) )
>
>You're going to get kicked off Usenet with an attitude like
>that. As one of my nieces would say: "You suck at this game!"
>
>;)

Damn.  That's the second time this week I've been accused of being
too reasonable! :-)

[.sigsnip]

                    The US gov't spends about $54,000/second.  I wish I could.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Goldhammer)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:42:22 GMT

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:06:06 GMT, Randall Parker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Well, I spend much larger amounts on hardware and on other
>software development tools. Then there is what I get paid for
>doing stuff. I see that people don't want to pay a lot
>for an editor.

If vi cost money, I'd buy a license.

>But at the same time, editing is the one
>thing that many of us spend the bulk of our time doing.

Right. Which is why so many of us prefer vi. When you
have to sit there editing stuff for hours and hours,
you eventually get tired of playing chords (Emacs) or
using a mouse (GUI-based editors like UltraEdit, TextPad).
You start wishing you just had an editor that would let you
do things as efficiently as possible, with the least amount
of carpal-tunnel abuse.

As for features like syntax highlighting -- sure, gvim
supports this very well. But say you're editing 20,000-line
Fortran 77 codes, day after day, month after month. The
syntax highlighting gets burned into your retina; it
becomes unbearable. I have to leave it turned off. This
feature just isn't that useful to me anymore, in any editor.
Neither are any features having to do with mouseclicks.

>Some people want to be totally dedicated to Open Source
>only and that is fine. But for those of us that are willing
>to buy commercial dev tools I really don't think $300 is
>too much for the most important tool we use.

It's not an ideological issue. People like vi because
it's a great editor. Who the hell wants to edit text
with a GUI editor? It's plain nuts. Think about it.
It's like using a GUI to drive your car.

--
Don't think you are. Know you are.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 13:42:43 -0400

Phillip Lord wrote:

>   Aaron> Gamma wrote:
>   >>  Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: >Phillip Lord wrote:
>   >> >> >> >>>>> "Aaron" == Aaron R Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>   >> >> >> Aaron> Which means that as soon as your on a new machine,
>   >> your stuck >> Aaron> editing WITHOUT your config file....  >> >>
>   >> Aaron> UGH.  >> >> This is why God invented NFS mounted home
>   >> spaces.  >> >> Phil > >And if your behind a corporate firewall
>   >> which doesn't permit >NFS connections through it....
>   >>
>   >> That's why God invented 3.5" floppies.
>   >>
>   >> And if you're behind a corporate firewall WITH security
>   >> restrictions that prohibit bringing in software from the
>   >> Internet...
>   >>
>   >> That's why God invented other jobs.  :-)
>
>   Aaron> When you're a consultant, and you're on a customer sight for
>   Aaron> just a short period of time...let's see...first you gotta
>   Aaron> bring emacs with you, in case they don't have it, AND have
>   Aaron> your .emacrc...
>
>   Aaron> Oh, and make sure you remove it before you leave, because if
>   Aaron> the people in charge of the site wanted emacs on the system,
>   Aaron> it would already be there.
>
>   Aaron> Bleah.
>
>   Aaron> It's just simpler to use VI and be done with it.
>
>         I used to carry around a copy of the marvellous
> programmers file editor on floppy. It was great. In the same way
> believe it or not I do now how to use VI. Of course I am not as
> competent as a real VI user, but I'm okay. But I can't use VI to read
> my email, or send news messages, so I use emacs most of the time. And
> I can also use emacs without any of my customisations. I just prefer
> to have them.
>
>         If I moved around from machine to machine a lot (which
> I don't) then I would stick emacs with all my configuration and extra
> packages and anything else that I wanted onto a CD-ROM, and run it off
> there.

In that case, you would have a lot of clients pissed at you.

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer

K: Truth in advertising:
        Special Interest Sierra Club,
        Anarchist Members of the ACLU
        The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
        Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

    you are lazy, stupid people"

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

   her behavior improves.

   ...despite (C) above.

   direction that she doesn't like.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 13:43:23 -0400

Phillip Lord wrote:

>   Aaron> Phillip Lord wrote:
>   >>  >>>>> "Aaron" == Aaron R Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>   >>
>   Aaron> Which means that as soon as your on a new machine, your stuck
>   Aaron> editing WITHOUT your config file....
>   >>
>   Aaron> UGH.
>   >>  This is why God invented NFS mounted home spaces.
>   >>
>   >> Phil
>
>   Aaron> And if your behind a corporate firewall which doesn't permit
>   Aaron> NFS connections through it....
>
>         Fortunately god also invented floppy disks.

emacs that fits on a floppy. you're kidding, right?

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer
DNRC Minister of all I survey
ICQ # 3056642

K: Truth in advertising:
        Special Interest Sierra Club,
        Anarchist Members of the ACLU
        The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
        Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

    you are lazy, stupid people"

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

   her behavior improves.

   ...despite (C) above.

   direction that she doesn't like.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 13:46:10 -0400

Roberto Selbach Teixeira wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Roberto Selbach Teixeira wrote:

> >> And it sucks too! The obvious choice is (and always will be) FSF
> >> Emacs!
> >
> > Emacs is a bloated hog...and it's not universally installed...and
> > where it is installed, which version is it?  Is it *really* emacs,
> > or is it jove? or temacs? or ????
> >

> Bloated hog? As someone mentioned once, Emacs takes what today's
> equivalent to what? 10 cents of disk space? For these 10 cents you get
> a full featured editor (that's what the guy asked about, wasn't it?),
> a web browser, email client, usenet client, ftp, scheduler, calculator
> and a lot (*A LOT*) more.

That's not the point.  It's a filesystem management issue.

If you go dumping software onto a client's system, eating up diskspace
for an editor that nobody uses, the client is going to be pissed off.

Thus, use of emacs is NOT advisable for on-site consulting.

>  >
> > If you do work on a LOT of systems, especially for a large number
> > of companies, on site...then trying to survive solely on emacs will
> > kill you.
> >
> > vi is universally installed, and unchanging.
>
> Windows is universally installed and unchanging. This means it is the
> best OS available, right? NOO.

apples and oranges.

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer
DNRC Minister of all I survey
ICQ # 3056642

K: Truth in advertising:
        Special Interest Sierra Club,
        Anarchist Members of the ACLU
        The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
        Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

    you are lazy, stupid people"

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

   her behavior improves.

   ...despite (C) above.

   direction that she doesn't like.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to the
comp.os.linux.development.system newsgroup.