From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thore B. Karlsen)
Crossposted-To:
24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.shareware.programmer,comp.editors,comp.lang.java.help,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.java.softwaretools,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 19:59:08 GMT

On 11 Apr 2001 17:28:59 +0100, Phillip Lord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Gamma> And this is just for bare emacs; multiply all numbers by
>  Gamma> around 8 or so for xemacs with news, ftp, fried okra, mashed
>  Gamma> potatoes, etc...

>        You want the additional functionality you have to pay
>something for it.

I _don't_ want the additional functionality! It's nice to have it, but as
options, not as part of the standard package. I don't want 47MB worth of
crud that I'm never going to use.

Emacs should stick to being a text editor, not an application environment.

--
"By the time we've finished with him, he won't know whether
he's Number Six or the cube root of infinity!"

------------------------------

Crossposted-To:
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 11 Apr 2001 15:58:24 -0400

"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Syntax highlighting is useful for NOVICE programmers.
>
> Most experienced programmers have used one-color text
> for program code for years...

for me, 1 color is simply not enough.  i want 2 colors -- one for
foreground and another for background.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: "news.cso.uiuc.edu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CPU affinity in Red Hat Linux 6.2
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:30:55 -0500

We have a large cluster of dual-processor Pentium II systems running Red Hat
Linux 6.2.

On a dual-processor system, we would like to tell the scheduler to place a
given process on a specific processor and keep it there.  This feature is
sometimes called "CPU affinity."  The idea is that we want to minimize the
number of times a process bounces back and forth between processors.

We could also like to monitor which processor a given process is running on.
I couldn't find anything in the ps or proc man pages about how to do this.

Are either of these features available on Red Hat Linux 6.2?

Dave McWilliams
University of Illinois

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth P. Turvey)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Installing Linux applications.... !!
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:09:32 -0500

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:18:56 +0000,
Kasper Dupont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>What is the state of HURD?
>
>It was originally supposed to be ready for use
>in the late 80's, but the first test release was
>made in 1996. Is it actually going to be finished
>some day? I thought Linux had removed most of the
>interest in the HURD project. Does anybody know
>if HURD is going to be a good alternative to
>Linux?

The goals of the projects are somewhat different.  I think the HURD is
intended to be an improvment on the Unix kernel that is also backward
compatible.  Linux really has no aspirations other than to be a good
implementation of a POSIX operating system's kernel.

--
Kenneth P. Turvey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  Careful attention to small detail, often proves superior to genius.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Can we can change HZ from 100 to 10000?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 20:49:17 -0000

In article <9b0s95$djk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, tlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I changed it from 100 to 10000. It seems working now.
>I can get 100 microsecond time interval by the new HZ.

How does it feel?

--
http://www.spinics.net/linux/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alexander Viro)
Crossposted-To:
Date: 11 Apr 2001 16:43:15 -0400

In article <cTGA6.948$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Grant Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Tom Almy wrote:
>
>>Only for UNIX hackers. For the rest of the world, THE editor is
>>TECO. What other editor handles paper tape so easily? TECO has
>>withstood the test of time. Get it (free) here:
>
>IIRC, Emacs was originaly a set of TECO macros, wasn't it?

s/TECO/gratitiously expanded &/

Al, quite enjoying both TECO and vi - pity that neither supports
full regex (as in sam(1) and in modern version of ed(1)), though...

--
"You're one of those condescending Unix computer users!"
"Here's a nickel, kid.  Get yourself a better computer" - Dilbert.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stefaan A Eeckels)
Crossposted-To:
comp.editors,comp.lang.java.help,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.java.softwaretools,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 23:14:22 +0200

In article <9avi9f$hd4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Dan Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> OTOH, when I do serious development, I telnet the files to my Windows
> machine and use a real editor!!

Since when does telnet support file copies?
Or Windows include a telnet server?

--
Stefaan
--

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Crossposted-To:
comp.editors,comp.lang.java.help,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.java.softwaretools,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 11 Apr 2001 16:37:36 -0500

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 23:14:22 +0200, Stefaan A Eeckels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <9avi9f$hd4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>       "Dan Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>> OTOH, when I do serious development, I telnet the files to my Windows
>> machine and use a real editor!!
>
>Since when does telnet support file copies?
>Or Windows include a telnet server?

Windows 2K Pro now comes with a telnet server that allows one
simultaneous login.  The latest issue of Windows 2000 has an
article about telnet that reads like it was written for 5
year olds (and JS PL).  Passwords are still plaintext over
the network though...unless you use the included proprietary
MS encryption format...but then of course you can only telnet
from another W2K box.  What a joke!

------------------------------

From: "tlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:56:27 -0600

It works, but I don't think the time interval is just 0.1 ms in
my PC. I am sure that it is less than 10 ms, which is the smallest
time interval before.

I guess I need to test it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl)
Subject: Re: memory usage of program
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 22:28:58 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Charles Herman wrote:
>Is there a function I can call from within a C/C++ program that will
>tell me how much memory the program is using?  If so, what is it?
[-]
getrusage(2) may help.

Ta',
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Juergen Heinzl                \       no flames      /
 \ EMail Private : [EMAIL PROTECTED] \ send money instead /

------------------------------

From: Linus Torvalds <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development
Subject: New directions for kernel development
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:49:58 -0700

Hi all,

        Recently, I've been thinking a lot about where Linux development should
head now that 2.4 is out. Specifically, I've been thinking about how we
ought to make some cultural changes as well as technical changes. Now I'm
not *entirely* sure what directions we should head in as we move towards
3.0, but I'd like to point out a few areas that need to be addressed as well
as propose some possible solutions. Nothing is set in stone yet, but these
are definitely issues we need to work on.

        First off, I don't like a lot of the elitism that does on among Linux
hackers. Just because you can tell what the following script does without
executing it, doesn't mean that you're some kind of god.

#! /usr/bin/perl
@k = unpack "a"x5,'x_,d@';@o = unpack "a"x19,'Q8>tUxLm\@`Y%N@cIq]';
while ($i<19){print chr((ord($o[$i])-ord($k[$i++%5])+91)%91+32);}

        Learning to hack Un*x is an impressive accomplishment, but it's closer
kin
to solving a Rubik’s cube than scaling Everest. If you think using Un*x
makes you some kind of super genius who should be feared by mere mortals and
end users, either get over it or start using *BSD. *BSD users (and
developers) are all complete jackasses, so you'll fit right in.

        Secondly, I'd like to address the issue of cleanliness. Quite frankly,
the
standards of personal hygiene practiced by many members of this community
are simply unacceptable. As you all know, I am a fairly clean cut,
well-kempt person (I know, I have a bit of a gut, but compared to Maddog,
Nick Petreley or ESR, I'm a modern Adonis.), and in the Linux community that
is something of an anomaly. Virtually all users of Linux (and all other
forms of Un*x) are unkempt, longhaired, beast-bearded dirty GNU hippies, and
I am sick and tired of having to deal with them.

        The person I have the greatest problem with is that (in)famous
communist
RMS. Now, RMS may have been responsible for GNU, the GPL, GCC and many
other contributions to the computing community, but his stance, as well as
stench, displayed in his essays and actions, nauseates me. I mean, with
that filth-ridden beard of his, where does he have room to demand that
people refer to Linux as GNU / Linux? When he is as clean-shaven as I, he
may claim that right, but until then, he should go back to playing his
little flute and dropping acid like there’s no tomorrow. Honestly, if he
doesn’t shut his mouth and go back to reading Marx, I’m going to shut it for
him. I am sorry to sound so harsh, but a little hygiene every once in a
while is a Good Thing(TM). Makes me wish I'd gone with a closed source
license back in the day.

worst thorn in my side, is Alan Cox, the primary coder of my kernel's TCP/IP
stack (ha, what a joke!) and all around dirty GNU hippy. Alan views
toothpaste the same way a vampire views garlic. The man's wife (who I spent
a few years with at the University of Helsinki) often calls me crying in the
middle of the night to complain of the rank, unbearable stench the man
exudes after sex. On several occasions at trade shows, exhibitions and beer
bashes, I have nearly fainted from the torrent of rotten odor that pours
from every inch of his toxic person. Along with the typical GNU hygiene
(mis)habits he practices, he also bitches and whines about... well,
everything. He lies a lot too; evidence for this can be seen in the fact he
almost always wears cheap black sunglasses when talking to people he knows
are better than him (such as myself).

        And then we come to ESR. I won't reiterate the sewer-dweller like
cleansing
habits he practices as well, but I would like to focus on his general
lifestyle. I like to refer to ESR as AGB or “Arrogant Gas Baron.” The man’
s flatulence is legendary. I honestly believe that given a meal of refried
beans and a match, he could reach low earth orbit. If you have to meet with
ESR for any reason, arrange for the meeting to be outdoors and try to stay
upwind. And his flatulence isn’t limited to his posterior either.
Frequently it comes out his mouth or even out of his keyboard. (Those of
you who have read “The Cathedral and the Bazaar” or “Meditations of Sudden
Wealth” will know exactly what I’m talking about here.) Additionally, he
is a complete hillbilly. You know, the kind that goes to inner-city
computer stores and buys 386s to set up as servers all over his house, with
cigarette smoke-stained 14" monitors piled high upon his kitchen table. He
has neither grace nor charm and can't last 15 seconds in conversation with
educated company without drifting into a tirade on gun rights or the best
methods for tanning road kill. Couple the above facts with his ruddy
complexion (from drinking Jagermeister like it’s water) and his
child-molester mustache and you’ve got the makings of one more person who
pisses me off.

Well, that's it for now. Hopefully with these feelings off my chest and into
the Open Source community, things will change for the better. I'd like just
once to talk to a Linux user or advocate who washes and changes their
clothes at least weekly. Until then, I will be rejecting patches from anyone
whose grooming standards do not measure up.

Also, I have submitted this to slashdot with the title "A Proposed Remedy
Involving Lingering Fud and Organizational Objections to Linux Systems." Be
on the lookout for it.

Thank you,
--Linus Torvalds

------------------------------

From: Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:43:01 -0600

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:42:22 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Goldhammer)
wrote:

>As for features like syntax highlighting -- sure, gvim
>supports this very well. But say you're editing 20,000-line
>Fortran 77 codes, day after day, month after month. The
>syntax highlighting gets burned into your retina; it
>becomes unbearable. I have to leave it turned off. This
>feature just isn't that useful to me anymore, in any editor.
>Neither are any features having to do with mouseclicks.

Technicolor text drives me nuts. I do like comments in a different
color, but that's my limit.

------------------------------

From: Hansang Bae <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 23:59:39 GMT

In article <2I0B6.81278$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> If vi cost money, I'd buy a license.

I would as well....

> Right. Which is why so many of us prefer vi. When you
> have to sit there editing stuff for hours and hours,
> you eventually get tired of playing chords (Emacs) or
> using a mouse (GUI-based editors like UltraEdit, TextPad).
> You start wishing you just had an editor that would let you
> do things as efficiently as possible, with the least amount
> of carpal-tunnel abuse.

For some things, editing with a rodent can actually save some time.

> As for features like syntax highlighting -- sure, gvim
> supports this very well. But say you're editing 20,000-line
> Fortran 77 codes, day after day, month after month. The
> syntax highlighting gets burned into your retina; it
> becomes unbearable. I have to leave it turned off. This

I too find syntax highlighting very intrusive.  Never got used to it
since (when I use to write programs) green or amber was the only option.

> It's not an ideological issue. People like vi because
> it's a great editor. Who the hell wants to edit text
> with a GUI editor? It's plain nuts. Think about it.
> It's like using a GUI to drive your car.

vi is like Reverse Polish Notation.  It has a steeper learning curve but
once you learn it, there's no going back.  I was a die-hard user of EDT
(funny, no one has mentioned it yet).  I was a PFx hitting fool!!  My
Procomm 2.4.2 was programmed with all my favorite PF combos.  Until I saw
my prof edit my program with 'vi'.  I kept asking, "hey, how'd you do
that so fast???"

I took my first HP41CV back to the store because (said I) RPN SUCKS!! AND
WHERE THE HELL's THE ENTER KEY!!!!

Then I sat there as my classmates breezed through problem after problem
while I was stuck in the (((())))) world.  Went back, learned RPN and
NEVER looked back.

I've been using vi for quite a while and my .exrc is not even that
complicated.  It centers, it has block cuts, it replaces hard tabs with
spaces and a few other creature comforts.

Sometimes I use UltraEdit because it's right for the job.  Sometimes I
use "DOS EDIT" because it's right for the job.  But mostly, I love my vi

:ZZ

--
"Somehow I imagined this experience would be more rewarding"  Calvin
reply to emails sent to my account.  Please post a followup instead.

From: Hansang Bae <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.editors,comp.lang.java.help,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.java.softwaretools,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 00:03:19 GMT

Enjoying this thread.... but did the original guy get his recommendations
yet???

 <G>

:q!  NAH!!! :ZZ

--
"Somehow I imagined this experience would be more rewarding"  Calvin
reply to emails sent to my account.  Please post a followup instead.

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to the
comp.os.linux.development.system newsgroup.