From: "somez72" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hello,There.
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 15:12:47 -0700

Hello,
does Someone knows is there System Monitoring and System Management tools
that is running on Linux for Linux/Unix server , Oracle server , Web server
, and so on.

Where can I find it?
any information is good to me, please tell me.

I don't know where should I wirte down this kind of question.
is there good place to ask this question , please let me know.

Thank you for your time.
-- SH Lee --

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can Linux kernel ported on supercomputer (using 16 processor)
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 05:30:17 -0000

hi,
 Is it possible to port the linux kernel (2.4) to supercomputer consisting
of 16 processor or more ??
 Also can existing kernel is suited for the High Performace Computing ??
 My concern is that originally kernel was written for the single processor
only so will it work nicely with SMP (16 processor) ??
 Or we need to change the design of kernel ??
 waiting for answer...
Deepak.

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9?= David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 09:02:57 +0200

==============6F5289A2BF850B1C8095E570

Hi.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> hi,
>  Is it possible to port the linux kernel (2.4) to supercomputer consisting
> of 16 processor or more ??

It _does not_ depend on the amount of processors, but on the
architecture itself!

>  Also can existing kernel is suited for the High Performace Computing ??

What do _you_ mean by HPC?

>  My concern is that originally kernel was written for the single processor
> only so will it work nicely with SMP (16 processor) ??

The kernel is SMP aware, AFAIK, since 2.0.36. Perhaps only for Intels...

>  Or we need to change the design of kernel ??
>  waiting for answer...

This is a problem nowadays. Why don't you do some homework first?
Why don't you got to linux.com and search for your computer
brand/architecture?
Why don't you go to google.com and search for SMP Linux?

Please! This is not technical support for Linux. We all need to do our
little piece. Please do some digging by yourself before posting
questions!

Thanks,

Andre

--

 "Share the code. If you hide it ain't good."
                                                Popular knowledge

begin:vcard
n:David;André
tel;work:+41792013849
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:CERN - Centre Europeen de Recherche Nucleaire;Experimental Physics Division - NA60
Experiment
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
note:Geneva, Switzerland
x-mozilla-cpt:;-11552
fn:André David
end:vcard

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ide vs. scsi why so much slower
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 09:32:52 +0200

bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Eric Taylor  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> | So, I get this:
> |
> | scsi   33    meg/second
> | ide    4.5   meg/second  - no dma
> | ide   12.7   meg/second  - with dma

> | Can someone explain why such a difference. The
> | ide drives are ata 100 7200 rpm. Not sure about
> | the scsi device.

As far as i have seen, modern standard IDE drives deliver between
20 and 30 Mo/s even on ATA/66. High performance go between 30 and 40
(mostly SCSI).
Very fast channels (ATA/100 etc.) are useful if you have several drives.

--
Michel Talon

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daniel Franklin)
Date: 20 Apr 2001 15:58:54 +1000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>hi,
> Is it possible to port the linux kernel (2.4) to supercomputer consisting
>of 16 processor or more ??

Sure.

> Also can existing kernel is suited for the High Performace Computing ??
> My concern is that originally kernel was written for the single processor
>only so will it work nicely with SMP (16 processor) ??
> Or we need to change the design of kernel ??

Linux 2.4 has pretty good SMP support, there are many design changes since
2.2 which make it scale better. It has also been ported to IBM's S390
mainframe, and that's about as Big Iron as you can get :-)

Most large scale computing under Linux tends to be done with clusters of
workstations such using Beowulf or Mosix (both are very useful, the latter
lets you do transparent process migration and lots of other cool stuff). It
really depends on how fine-grained your computing requirements are.

- Daniel

*      Daniel Franklin - Postgraduate student in Electrical Engineering
*      University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia  *  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: NortonNg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: token bucket filter(sch_tbf.c) question
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 09:37:34 +0000 (UTC)

hello, i have some question about the coding in sch_tbf.c
  Does anyone know why the buffer(token bucket depth) should set to > MTU/B?
and what is the defination of 'B'?
  What are the usage for R_tab and P_tab? What is the different between
tokens and ptokens?? and what does the meaning of value return by L2T and
L2T_P ?? What is cell_log?

  sorry for asking too many question. Anyone can answer those questions?

struct tbf_sched_data
{
/* Parameters */
  u32             limit;   /* Maximal length of backlog: bytes*/
  u32             buffer;  /* Token bucket depth/rate: MUST BE >=MTU/B */
  u32             mtu;
  u32             max_size;
  struct qdisc_rate_table *R_tab;
  struct qdisc_rate_table *P_tab;

/* Variables */
  long    tokens;                 /* Current number of B tokens */
  long    ptokens;                /* Current number of P tokens */
  psched_time_t   t_c;            /* Time check-point */
  struct timer_list wd_timer;     /* Watchdog timer */
};

#define L2T(q,L)   ((q)->R_tab->data[(L)>>(q)->R_tab->rate.cell_log])
#define L2T_P(q,L) ((q)->P_tab->data[(L)>>(q)->P_tab->rate.cell_log])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Malcolm Beattie)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: A Linux emulator for Linux, does this exist?
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 10:06:59 +0000 (UTC)

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Grant Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> Yes, I believe you can. If everything in the system is hot-swappable, why
>>> not?
>>
>>There's got to be a bus that connects everything.

Not a bus, no. However, there's a central MCM (Multi Chip Module)
which contains all the CPUs, the SC (System Controller) chip, the
MBA (Memory Bus Adapter) chips and such like. Although it's in some
sense a "single point of failure" there's a huge amount of redundancy
built into it. All the CPUs actually have two execution engines which
run everything in parallel and the results are compared. Any problems
which persist after (transparent) retries cause "sparing": the CPU
state is (transparently) transferred to a spare CPU and the machine
"phones home". There's always at least one spare CPU on the MCM and,
unless you are using all the others (14 on a G6, 20 on a z900), there
are actually plenty of spares: not that you're likely at need them
anyway.

>Rudundant interconnects are possible.  Don't know if the 390 has them.

Pretty much everything in the S/390 and z900 has redundancy built in.
A lot of information is available online about S/390 but there's so
much (and mainframe jargon is a whole new world) that it's difficult
to get a technical overview (plenty of marketing guff though). I gave
a talk on "IBM Mainframe Hardware from a Linux Hacker's Viewpoint"
recently which tries to give such an overview. The slides are available
online at
    http://users.ox.ac.uk/~mbeattie/newcastle2001/index.html

--Malcolm

--
Malcolm Beattie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Oxford University Computing Services

------------------------------

From: Kasper Dupont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I initiate Gnome?
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 12:54:22 +0000

Greg Knopf wrote:

> If you edit your .xinitrc file, you can specify a window manager, such as
> fvwm or afterstep or whatever. I think what you want to do is start
> "enlightenment" instead of fvwm, and you will get a gnome environment.
>
> ray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9bh0m0$kp2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > How do I initiate a gnome from fvwm?
> > Thanks

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think
it would be better to put that in .Xclients
rather than .xinitrc.

--
Kasper Dupont

------------------------------

From: Kasper Dupont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Syscall, please help
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 13:06:53 +0000

Mikael Chambon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there way to forbid a syscall to be interrupted by another
> syscall ???
>
> If I send 3 syscalls to the same process at the same time, I assume that
> it will be the ret_from_syscall of the third syscall that would be
> executed at the first time? Am I right ?
>
> Thanks for all,
> --
> Mikael Chambon

Your question doesn't make sense, you probably
doesn't mean syscalls, but signals. In that case
the behaviour is defined when you install the
handler with signal or sigaction. I think the
default is to complete processing the first
signal before accepting the next.

--
Kasper Dupont

------------------------------

From: Kasper Dupont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ide-scsi problem mounting cd
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 13:16:00 +0000

Cdrecord uses scsi generic (sg.o) while mounting uses scsi cdrom
(sr_mod.o).
What did you answer to SCSI CD-ROM support?

--
Kasper Dupont

------------------------------

From: Kasper Dupont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hello,There.
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 13:36:02 +0000

somez72 wrote:

> Hello,
> does Someone knows is there System Monitoring and System Management tools
> that is running on Linux for Linux/Unix server , Oracle server , Web server
> , and so on.
>
> Where can I find it?
> any information is good to me, please tell me.
>
> I don't know where should I wirte down this kind of question.
> is there good place to ask this question , please let me know.
>
> Thank you for your time.
> -- SH Lee --

Apache is the worlds most widely used webserver. It can
run on Linux and most other Unices. If you have a Linux
distribution on a CD you can probably find it there.
Otherwise visit <URL:http://www.apache.org/>. In Linux
version 2.4.x you can use a kernel builtin http server
to improve performance.

There are lots of system monitoring and management tools
for Linux, but what exactly are you looking for?

There are also different SQL database servers available,
I know the names of two, postgresql and mysql, but
there are probably a lot of others. You can find a
thread on the subject on this newsgroup.

--
Kasper Dupont

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 14:52:36 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Is it possible to port the linux kernel (2.4) to supercomputer consisting
>of 16 processor or more ??
> Also can existing kernel is suited for the High Performace Computing ??

It runs on an IBM S/390.  That's pretty damn "High Performance"
compared to what I've got sitting on my desk.

> My concern is that originally kernel was written for the single processor
>only so will it work nicely with SMP (16 processor) ??
> Or we need to change the design of kernel ??

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I am KING BOMBA of
                                  at               Sicily!...I will marry

------------------------------

From: "Karim A." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Porting from Window to Linux ... C++ programming  problem
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 16:59:36 +0200

Hi Shang,

I've alredy ported an application from Windows to Linux and SGI Irix env.
I think I've encountered every kind of problem regarding cross-platform
devpt.

I can give some tips:

Firstly, separate all the GUI part from your engine "working"' code.

1) Use "standard" components such like std library as most as you can.
My Windows application used a lot of MFC"helper" stuff such like CString,
CTime, etc....
Forget them, don't loose time to search for a CString like class on the web.
I've used the "string" class of the STL. You can derive it so to add some
helper function like Format etc...
But this class is working very well, it's already tested.
According to your compiler and your destination env, check the known bugs
regarding the STL.
As for me, I'm using STL list, vectors, map and string classes.
With Visual C++ I was using CList, CArray, CString..
I didn't have the time to redevelop my own classes and to test them.
I've used the sTL core classes and I didn't get errors or bugs.

2) As for me, my application should work both under Linux and SGI Irix.
Thus, I've to manage the problem of Little Endian / Big Endian.
Because I was using binary image files written on Windows and read on Irix.
So, tyry to write a custom I/O stream class in order to check the endian
status and to reverse the bytes order.

Take care about data structure alignement, it's platform dependant.

Try to not polluate your code with conditionnal instructions like #ifdef
WIN32....#else..#endif.
Otherwise, you source code becomes quickly "unreadable"...Believe me ;o)

3) there is a problem with file handling routine.
Try to use the low level file routines such like read(), open(), close()
instead of fopen(), fclose()....
Because under windows, it's simple to open a file in write mode, but under
linux or Irix, you have to deal
with write permissions (user owner...). Take care about that.

4) I don't know how you're coding under windows. I suppose you're using
Visual C++ .
So, don't forget tha Visual C++ compiler is VERY permissive.
So try to re-compile you whole project with high level warning.
Believe me that a lot of warnings under windows become fuc@#@ing buggous
errors under Irix or Linux

Finally, try as most as possible to port your application component by
component.
Port them on your linux box, test them and integrate them.
Don't wait to have ported 50 objects. Otherwise errors and crash will fall
like rain ;o))

5) If you have to deal with GUI, it could be a good idea to use a
cross-platform library.
For my project, I've used QT library. it's implemented for Irix, Linux
boxes, and even for Windows !
But the Windows version is not free.....

So hope it will help you.

You send me emails if you have other questions.

Regards,

Karim

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to the
comp.os.linux.development.system newsgroup.