Linux-Development-Sys Digest #721, Volume #8     Wed, 16 May 01 00:13:12 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Recompile Kernel fails (Heinz Ruffieux)
  Re: Loading modules permanently (Heinz Ruffieux)
  Re: Can I use aio_read() for UDP sockets?
  Re: Free OS ?
  Re: Will Linux recognize >4GB RAM on Pentium-III Xeon? (Doug Chan)
  Re: Why is RedHat 7.1 so fast? (Paul Hughett)
  Path to kernel include directory? (Grant Edwards)
  Re: transpareny ("Darren LS")
  Re: Can I use aio_read() for UDP sockets? ("Roger Tragin")
  passing messages to a forked thread  ("Darren LS")
  X windows ("Darren LS")
  Re: X windows (Elias Poulojohn)
  Re: X windows (F. Heitkamp)
  Re: X windows (Aminudin Khalid)
  Re: Why is RedHat 7.1 so fast? ("Paul D. Smith")
  Major/Minor numbers under 2.4? ("David Hawkins")
  User-space notifications (Derek Viljoen)
  Re: X windows (Nithyanandham)
  make dep clean zImage
  Re: Multiple processes using the curses library (john Latala)

From: Heinz Ruffieux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Recompile Kernel fails
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 21:30:10 -0000

Thanks Brian,

This was exactly the answer I was looking for. It works now!

Have a good time.

Heinz

From: Heinz Ruffieux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Loading modules permanently
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 21:30:10 -0000

Thanks Karl for your help.

I tried modprobe several times, but unfortunatly after a reboot the desired
modules do not get loaded. Do I need to add something to /etc/modules.conf?

Could you please state an example (e.g. with msdos)?

Thanks a lot

Heinz

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Can I use aio_read() for UDP sockets?
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 21:31:53 -0000

In article <9ds34o$ckd$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Roger Tragin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Under Windoze I am using WSARecvFrom() to read datagrams from a UDP socket
>asynchronously.  Is there an equivalent under Linux?

Set the socket to non-blocking and use read.  Or you can use select.

--
http://www.spinics.net/linux

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Free OS ?
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 21:32:55 -0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>This sounds like a silly question, but if Linux is an Open-Source OS, where
>can you get it for free?

Many places including ftp.redhat.com

--
http://www.spinics.net/linux

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Doug Chan)
Subject: Re: Will Linux recognize >4GB RAM on Pentium-III Xeon?
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 21:44:41 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Johan Kullstam  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Doug Chan) writes:
>
>> Thanks!
>> I read somewhere that the process address space is still limited to
>> less than 4GB?
>
>yes.  i believe this is true for ia32 processors such as the p-3 xeon.
>
>what is the situation for 64 bit processors such as ultrasparc or
>alpha?  these might have larger limits on memory usage.
>
>you seem willing to part with large coin since you are considering the
>intel wallet vaccuum -- maybe equipment from, e.g., sun would be
>competitive in price/performance?
>

>--
>J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
>[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>sysengr

Actually, I'm currently running Solaris 5.8 on various Sun hardware
but looking to switch to Linux & Intel-based equipment for cost
and performance reasons.
So far, memory sizing is the biggest issue with going to Intel plaforms.
Maybe I'll have to wait until IA-64 hardware comes out...

-Doug

------------------------------

From: Paul Hughett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why is RedHat 7.1 so fast?
Date: 15 May 2001 21:58:37 GMT

At150bogomips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: 'jtnews' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:>I'm getting 5MB/sec dump transfer rates
:>across an NFS filesystem with RedHat 7.1
:>where I used to get only about 1.5MB/sec.

: My guess would be that hdparam was used (by default) to tune the hard drives.

My guess is that it has less to do with the hard disk settings than
with the fact that the 2.4.x kernels support NFS version 3.  I've seen
similar improvements, but using SCSI disks.

Paul Hughett

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Subject: Path to kernel include directory?
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 22:06:37 GMT

One of the drivers I maintain has always used
/usr/src/linux/include as the path to the kernel include
directory.

This seemed to work well until RH7.1 (we refused to attempt
supporting RH7.0).  Now there is no /usr/src/linux symbolic
link installed by the kernel-sources package in RH7.1, and our
driver won't compile (the first of many problems, I'm sure).

Anyway, if you can't depend on /usr/src/linux/include being
there anymore, what mechanism do people use to find kernel
include files?

Does /usr/src/linux-<version>/include work in enough distros
to be worthwhile?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Let's climb to the
                                  at               TOP of that MOUNTAIN and

------------------------------

From: "Darren LS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps,linux.redhat.devel,linux.redhat.development
Subject: Re: transpareny
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 23:03:31 +0100

Lew Pitcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sat, 12 May 2001 02:19:31 +0100, in alt.linux, "Darren LS"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >hi all I have a lovely little socket program that talks to a server
> >blahdebla
> >sadly when I run it it steals all the runtime of the tty node, I can run
it
> >in the background with the suffix of the & character but I would rather
it
> >run in the background automatically. does anyone know if this is
possible?
> >either via the system or programmatically?
>
> Yup, it's possible.
>
> You'll need to execute a piece of code that fork()s a child process and
> terminates the parent process. Something like...
>
> void daemonize(void)
> {
> switch(fork())
> {
> case -1: /* fork failed */
> fprintf(stderr,"cant fork\n");
> exit(1);
>
> case 0: /* fork succeeded, in child */
> /* should do things like
>    - redirect stdin/stdout/stderr to bitbucket
>    - reset all signal handlers
>    - make process into group leader
> ** at this point. */
> return;
>
> default: /* fork succeeded, in parent */
> fprintf(stderr,"Daemonized\n");
> exit(0);
> }
> }

cool so how do I do this bitbucket redirection thing ?

------------------------------

From: "Roger Tragin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 18:20:36 -0400

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <9ds34o$ckd$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Roger Tragin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Under Windoze I am using WSARecvFrom() to read datagrams from a UDP
socket
> >asynchronously.  Is there an equivalent under Linux?
>
> Set the socket to non-blocking and use read.  Or you can use select.

There is a difference between non-blocking and asynchronous (at least in my
mind :).  I am looking for the same semantics as aio_read() where the
function call returns when the request has been initiated or queued.  The OS
will read data into my buffer, and when it has completed it will generate a
signal.

This is different to non-blocking where you set the socket in non-blocking
mode and use select to tell you when there is a datagram to read, and then
you have to do the read in user space.

Thanks for your input.

------------------------------

From: "Darren LS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: passing messages to a forked thread
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 23:35:32 +0100

Hello all. I have a nice little socket programmed than runs transparently
due to the fork command thanks to the advice of many wonderful people on
these newsgroups. However now I need to do  some manipulation to the
currently running process. I appreciate any advice on the following

1. this thread must be able to detect if it is the only instance running and
if not then it needs to be able to get the process handle of other instances
so it can communicate with them

2. Active instances must be able to take signals of other threads, processes
or even programs

3. must be able to send signals to other processes both local and remote

4. must be able to ignore SIGTERM and should SIGKILL be thrown at it then it
needs to survive long enough to fill in a log entry before it goes down. I
appreciate any ideas.

Thank you

Darren

------------------------------

From: "Darren LS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.programmer,linux.redhat.devel,linux.redhat.development
Subject: X windows
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 23:41:51 +0100

Hi all. Can anyone point me toward a decent tutorial to X windows
programming?

Thank you most kindly

Darren

------------------------------

From: Elias Poulojohn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.programmer,linux.redhat.devel,linux.redhat.development
Subject: Re: X windows
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 02:10:59 +0300

Darren LS wrote:

> Hi all. Can anyone point me toward a decent tutorial to X windows
> programming?
>
> Thank you most kindly
>
> Darren

I am a newbie in X too but as far as i understand it's quite difficult to
programm directly in Xlib.Perhaps for starters you'd like to start with an
easier API like Qt or GTK
--
X~

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.unix.programmer,linux.redhat.devel,linux.redhat.development
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (F. Heitkamp)
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 19:33:58

In message <vmiM6.16696$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - "Darren
LS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Hi all. Can anyone point me toward a decent tutorial to X windows
>programming?

It's X, X Window (no "s"), or X Window System.

The best books are probably the O'Reilly books.
http://www.ora.com

The ones about Xlib are really low level.  Volume 6 are good
ones.  Make sure you get the right toolkit.  For instance
there is one about Motif that will probably work fine
if you use Lesstif.  Unless you are working on Sun or other
commercial UNIX, you should probably look at Gtk as
that seems to be very popular these days.  There are books
about Gtk, but I have never tried gtk programming so I
don't know how much X you actually learn.  The O'Reilly
X books are probably the most complete, though there
are others.  I've never found much X tutorial stuff on
the 'net though there is some. Lastly the commercial
UNIX uses CDE, and there are a couple books about that
too.  They might not be good for beginners.  BTW, you
should be able to program in C too.

------------------------------

From: Aminudin Khalid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 16:14:45 +0800

Hi,

You can find GTK tutorial at http://www.gtk.org

------------------------------

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 15 May 2001 21:07:06 -0400

%% jtnews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

  j> I'm getting 5MB/sec dump transfer rates
  j> across an NFS filesystem with RedHat 7.1
  j> where I used to get only about 1.5MB/sec.

You don't say what you had on there before so it's hard to know what
you're comparing it with.

You also don't say what the remote system you are NFSing with was (or
was it another similar system?).

But, note that the NFS support in Linux kernels prior to 2.2.18 was
mediocre at best.  There were some performance issues, and it didn't
support NFS v3 at all, etc.

The 2.2.18 and above, and of course 2.4.x, kernels all implement a
_much_ improved NFS system which was available previously only as add-on
patches.

I'd be surprised if that didn't account for a large portion of your
speed increase, in the situation you mention.

 Paul D. Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    HASMAT--HA Software Methods & Tools

From: "David Hawkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Major/Minor numbers under 2.4?
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 18:22:36 -0700

Hi,

I'm updating a PCI device driver for a custom board for use
in Linux 2.4, and I'm a little confused about where the device
driver major number is now associated with the
device.

Under 2.2, during init_module, you call register_chrdev
with your major number. However in 2.4, you use
the pci_register_device for the some-what
equivalent operation.

I haven't started hacking away at the code yet,
I'm looking through kernel sources, since I haven't
really seen much other than pci.txt in the Documentation
directory.

Anyway, I just couldn't see how to align the mknod
parameters with the 2.4-style device drivers.

If anyone can give me some example code, or
perhaps just explain whats happening, then I'd
be a happy driver writer!

Thanks alot!

Dave Hawkins
Caltech
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Derek Viljoen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: User-space notifications
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 01:48:32 GMT

Can anyone enlighten me as to what my options are for user-space
notifications from a kernel module?

I have a module that does some asynchronous work, and I'd like it to
execute a call-back function in a user application when it's done.  I
thought of setting up a signal handler for SIGUSR1/2 in a library call,
and issuing a send_sig() (or whatever) from the kernel module.  My only
problem with this, is I'd also like to pass back some data to the
callback function.

Another option would be to create a blocking call in a background thread
in the library call.  Then the call can return when it's done
(implemented with a wait_queue, I suppose).

Does anyone have other ideas, or else some examples of other modules
which do the same kind of thing?

Thanks,

Derek Viljoen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Nithyanandham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.programmer,linux.redhat.devel,linux.redhat.development
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 08:48:50 +0530

Darren LS wrote:

> Hi all. Can anyone point me toward a decent tutorial to X windows
> programming?

A very good Documentation on X windows.:-
http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/Dave/X_lecture/X_book_caller/index.html

--Nithyanand.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: make dep clean zImage
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 20:17:26 -0700

Well Gentlemen, I would be interested in your take on the file
linux/Documentation/modules.txt as I am trying to understand module
compilation and I found in that file a reference to doing the make dep clean
zImage in that order (as opposed to make clean dep zImage). I also see here
a note that says, to enable CONFIG_MODVERSIONS (instead of disable same) to
make the compilation more independent of versioning information.

Basically, I have been told by others (and found in reference books) the
exact opposite of what this file says. Some references say to 'make dep
clean bzImage' in that order and others say do 'make clean dep bzImage' in
that order. Additionally, some references say disable CONFIG_MODVERSIONS for
module independent versioning and others say enable CONFIG_MODVERSIONS for
independent versioning.

So... I don't know what to believe or not believe. If it is described in the
*official* Linux documentation, do we take it as gospel, with a grain of
salt, or only on Sunday?

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
From: john Latala <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Multiple processes using the curses library
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 00:07:03 -0400

On Wed, 9 May 2001, Alex Brown (bee3_00) wrote:

> At the moment I am having difficulty in getting the two processes to
> share the terminal screen despite having non-overlapping subwindows. I
> have used the newwin() command from curses to make each window with
> different sizes and co-ordinates from within each process. For some
> reason the child process stops running when it initialises the screen
> using newwin().

I think the problem is that the curses section in the main program and the
child program both think they have sole use of the screen. If one of them
changes the screen then the other doesn't know about it so the screen's
not in the same state it left it in, i.e. where the cursor is, what the
current video mode is, etc.

You're probably going to have to have to give screen ownership to one of
them then have the other do it's screen control through the owner.

Changing your current design from a fork to a thread might solve the
problem because then both processes would be calling the same curses code.
If that's not doable then you might have to add a third process which owns
the terminal and anybody wanting to write into their window has to work
through them.

--
john R. Latala
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to the
comp.os.linux.development.system newsgroup.