Linux-Development-Sys Digest #749, Volume #8     Fri, 25 May 01 12:13:31 EDT

Contents:
  mtrr: type mismatch (Heinz Ruffieux)
  Re: recvfrom with PF_PACKET does not return actual packet size (Vyacheslav
Burdjanadze)
  Re: mtrr: type mismatch (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9?= David)
  Re: thundering-herd vs wake-one (Malcolm Beattie)
  Re: GNU_SOURCE (Nix)
  Re: Does /sbin/dump in RedHat 7.1 ever hang for anyone? (Anonymous)
  Re: question about fork() ("Karl Heyes")
  Re: mtrr: type mismatch (Heinz Ruffieux)
  g++ => byte alignment ("Patrick Rust")
  Re: UDF write on MO (Massimiliano Caovilla)
  Mr kdb, I suppose (Massimiliano Caovilla)
  Re: Best solution for fast IPC? (bill davidsen)
  Re: mmap() and msync() extensions? (At150bogomips)
  ext2 limitations ("Jason Kusar")
  Re: Generic SCSI driver (bill davidsen)
  Re: Will Linux recognize >4GB RAM on Pentium-III Xeon? (bill davidsen)
  Re: Best PC config for linux/crosscompiler development (bill davidsen)
  Re: mmap() and msync() extensions? (bill davidsen)
  Re: ext2 limitations ("Karl Heyes")

From: Heinz Ruffieux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: mtrr: type mismatch
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 08:31:07 -0000

Hi,

Booting the kernel (RH7.1 / Kernel 2.4.2.) I get the following message in
the /var/log/messages file:

May 25 10:19:32 locarno kernel: mtrr: type mismatch for d8000000,1000000
old: write-back new: write-combining

Does anybody know what it is about? Is it related with my CD writer? Can
somebody tell me what the message means?

Thanks a lot

Heinz

Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 13:12:44 +0400
From: Vyacheslav Burdjanadze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: recvfrom with PF_PACKET does not return actual packet size

> kernel 2.2.13.
kernel 2.2.18 seems ok.

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9?= David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mtrr: type mismatch
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 10:57:29 +0200

==============5706AE751E1AB98BEBA3682D

Heinz Ruffieux wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Booting the kernel (RH7.1 / Kernel 2.4.2.) I get the following message in
> the /var/log/messages file:
>
> May 25 10:19:32 locarno kernel: mtrr: type mismatch for d8000000,1000000
> old: write-back new: write-combining
>
> Does anybody know what it is about? Is it related with my CD writer? Can
> somebody tell me what the message means?
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> Heinz
>
> --

Please provide the output of

        cat /proc/mtrr
        lspci -vv

AFAI can say, your BIOS is declaring some PCI memory area as write-back,
and linux doesn't feel that's safe. What motherboard/processor/pci
boards combination you have?

--

 "Share the code. If you hide it ain't good."
                                                Popular knowledge

begin:vcard
n:David;André
tel;cell:+41792013849
tel;work:+41227676147
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:CERN - European Centre for Nuclear Research;EP/NA60
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
note:Geneva, Switzerland
x-mozilla-cpt:;-16000
fn:André David
end:vcard

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Malcolm Beattie)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: thundering-herd vs wake-one
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 09:36:15 +0000 (UTC)

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In comp.os.linux.development.system Linus Torvalds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>| What 2.4.x has is the notion of the _waiters_ (who _do_ know what they
>| are doing) saying "I'm an exclusive waiter, once you wake me up there's
>| no point in waking any other exclusive waiters".  That's very different
>| from "wake_one()", although it also avoids the herd behaviour when used
>| correctly.
>
>So how do waiters say this (I'm assuming they say it to the kernel in
>some way)?  I looked for a description in the kernel Documentation tree
>but didn't find any.

They use add_wait_queue_exclusive() instead of add_wait_queue(). That
sets WQ_FLAG_EXCLUSIVE in the wait flags. For waking, the API seems to
be that that wake_up_nr() and friends can specify a number argument
that gets passed through to __wake_up_common() in kernel/sched.c.
Ordinary wakeups pass zero through which means everything on the wait
queue is woken. If a non-zero number is passed then only that number of
exclusive waiters are woken. The fact that WQ_FLAG_EXCLUSIVE isn't
explicitly mentioned (well, not in 2.4.2 anyway) makes it harder to
track down: the test is simply
    if (try_to_wake_up(p, sync) && curr->flags && !--nr_exclusive)
        break;

rather than ... (curr->flags & WQ_FLAG_EXCLUSIVE) ...

--Malcolm

--
Malcolm Beattie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Oxford University Computing Services

------------------------------

From: Nix <$}xinix{$@esperi.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: GNU_SOURCE
Date: 25 May 2001 02:27:02 +0100

On 24 May 2001, Martin von Loewis yowled:
> "Ivor Cox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> Looking at the header file pthread.h I notice conditional compiles based on
>> __USE_GNU, __UNIX_98(?) and so on. Should I be specifying any of these to
>> use pthread in linux?
>
> No. By default, gcc will arrange defines so that all functions are
> available.

No, it won't. The GNU C Library manual states

,----
|    We recommend you use `_GNU_SOURCE' in new programs.  If you don't
| specify the `-ansi' option to GCC and don't define any of these macros
| explicitly, the effect is the same as defining `_POSIX_C_SOURCE' to 2
| and `_POSIX_SOURCE', `_SVID_SOURCE', and `_BSD_SOURCE' to 1.
`----

(Not _GNU_SOURCE.)

> The default is _GNU_SOURCE if no option is given to gcc, and

What makes you think this?

--
`LARTing lusers is supposed to be satisfying. This is just tedious. The
 silly shite I'm doing now is like trying to toothpick to death a Black

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 07:06:11 -0400
Subject: Re: Does /sbin/dump in RedHat 7.1 ever hang for anyone?
From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

What happened in my case was that
I had set

  LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5

to get jdk1.3.0 to work.

When I unset LD_ASSUME_KERNEL,
dump appeared to work ok.

Jdk1.3.1 is out now. So setting
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL isn't necessary anymore.

jman8086 wrote:

> Yes, I had the same problem.  I went to
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/dump/ and saw that there was a bug
> report opened for this problem.  It turns out that it was a problem
> with the compiler and it was fixed in the latest version.  I
> downloaded the latest version (0.4b22)in RPM form from sourceforge and
> it works great.

  --------== Posted Anonymously via Newsfeeds.Com ==-------
     Featuring the worlds only Anonymous Usenet Server
    -----------== http://www.newsfeeds.com ==----------

------------------------------

From: "Karl Heyes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: question about fork()
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 12:37:54 +0100

In article <9el33o$t49$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Wong Ka Chun"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Karl,
>
>   I am asking all of these as I have a multithreaded program, which the
> parent thread will launch child thread from time to time. In each child
> thread, it will call fork()/execv()/waitpid() to get the return value from
> another external program. When there are multiple child threads try to do
> the fork()/execv()/waitpid() thingy, the program sometime crashes, sometime
> waitpid does not return. I just can't figure out what / why cause the error.
> Or, there is some problem in pthread that I should do the fork() within a
> thread?

posix threads say that with fork only the calling thread is created in the
child.  But the man pages I've seen do warn about a possible problem if the
child thread does something else other than the execv.   Whether that maybe a
source of the problem your seeing I don't know!.

karl.

------------------------------

From: Heinz Ruffieux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 12:30:03 -0000

Andre,

[ruffieux@locarno ruffieux]$ cat /proc/mtrr
reg00: base=0x00000000 (   0MB), size=16711936MB: write-back, count=1
reg05: base=0xd0000000 (3328MB), size=16711808MB: write-combining, count=1
[ruffieux@locarno ruffieux]$

I'm have an AMD Duron 850 MHz processor, Micro ATX VA (MS6340) Mainboard.
What specifiction do you need in terms of pci?

Hope this is helpfull.

Thanks a lot

Heinz

From: "Patrick Rust" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: g++ => byte alignment
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 16:35:05 -0000

Hi,

I want to compile the following with byte-alignment

typedef struct XYZ
{
  char X;
  short Y;
  long Z;
}

How can I do this.
Exists there any compiler-switch or any pragma-calls???

Thank you for your help.
Greetings
Patrick

------------------------------

From: Massimiliano Caovilla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: UDF write on MO
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 14:44:35 GMT

Alessandro Bietresato wrote:

> "Massimiliano Caovilla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Hi
> > I'm trying to use the UDF filesystem on a MO scsi drive (/dev/sda):
> > actually I'm using the module version 0.9 I downloaded from trylinux,
> > but in write it doesn't work well: I must debug it by myself or there is
> > a better version somewhere?
>
> Are you using 2048/bytes media (like 3.5"/640MByte MO disk)?

Actually, I'm using both 1024Kb 2048Kb 1.2Gb / 2.6Gb 5.2Gb and 4Kb 9Gb
disks.
Does it only work with 2Kb block size?

        Massi

------------------------------

From: Massimiliano Caovilla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mr kdb, I suppose
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 14:51:21 GMT

        OK, so I finally got kdb running on a kernel 2.2.18 on top of my redhat
7.0 (bleah! for the 7.0, not for kdb :-P)
I have some problems:
        each driver I insmod, 4 exemple my via-rhine ethernet or initio for my
        scsi host adapter triggers an Oops.
Can this be kdb's fault?
Another question is: How I get into kdb WITHOUT triggering an Oops??? I
could't find a manual!
The final question is: was't I supposed to get a /proc/sys/kernel/kdb
file/directory/whatever to interface with the debugger?
I've heard that kdb is not well mantained for 2.2 kernel, maybe these
are problems related to this?

Thanks for any suggestion, bye to all

Massi

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Subject: Re: Best solution for fast IPC?
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 15:28:42 +0000 (UTC)

In article <9dnj6s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Jim Cochrane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| I forgot to include that I'm looking for a solution that can be implemented
| in C and/or Perl and/or Python (that is, a solution only in C is acceptable -
| and I would guess that the best solution would probably just use C).

I had a similar question and wrote a test program to use shared memory,
semiphores, pipes, and message queues. Came to the conclusion that there
is no "fastest way," it depends on the o/s and hardware. Given what you
want to do, I would suspect that either a pipe or shared memory would
satisfy your needs.

--
  bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc
At LinuxExpo Sun was showing Linux applications running on Solaris.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (At150bogomips)
Date: 25 May 2001 15:31:46 GMT
Subject: Re: mmap() and msync() extensions?

Bill Davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  It works that way now... unless the mlock() call is used, the kernel
>brings in only what you use. That's what "demand paging" means.

Sorry.  Merely showing my ignorance.  However, there does not seem to be a
syscall to communicate usage hints (as the previously pointed to madvise on
Solaris).

Paul A. Clayton
just an ignoramus--ignore if you please

------------------------------

From: "Jason Kusar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ext2 limitations
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 11:30:53 -0400

Does anyone know what the maximum number of entries is on an ext2 partition?

Thanks,
Jason

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Subject: Re: Generic SCSI driver
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 15:34:34 +0000 (UTC)

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Andrzej Stypula  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

|   I have the atapi CD (at /dev/hdd) so, some times I want to read this
|   as scsi device (for ex. readcd requires the scsci device).
|   If I add the line 'append hdd=ide-scsi' in my lilo.conf, when
|   I have info in /proc about this binding, and until now all is OK.
|   But I can not to mount any fs by /dev/hdd -  this is my problem.
|   All is OK if generic is unloaded but in this case I can not to
|   use /dev/sg?.

  There is no hdd, you bound it to ide-scsi, so it's called sr0, scsi
CD-ROM.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Will Linux recognize >4GB RAM on Pentium-III Xeon?
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 15:40:07 +0000 (UTC)

In article <aqdud9.428.ln@helix>, Steve Wolfe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| > you seem willing to part with large coin since you are considering the
| > intel wallet vaccuum -- maybe equipment from, e.g., sun would be
| > competitive in price/performance?
|
|   Our $12,000 quad Xeon handily beats a $25,000 Alpha machine at database
| work.  The Compaq rep that loaned us the Alpha for a week was pretty sad
| to hear that. : )

  What o/s? If you were running Linux on both, then you are (mostly)
comparing hardware, else you are comparing o/s as well (or even mostly).

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Subject: Re: Best PC config for linux/crosscompiler development
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 15:49:43 +0000 (UTC)

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Adam Fineman  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| bill davidsen wrote:
| >
| <snip>
| > you can build a nice Intel dual 1GHz with RAID
| > and all for <$2k.
| >
| One rarely sees the words "nice" and "Intel" in such proximity....

  For software development you could go dual 1GHz, 1GB, use the Abit
card with RAID and go RAID-5 using four drives on separate channels, big
case with extra fans and 400w p/s, and bring it in well below $2k. I
just quoted one at $2k with Linux and the application installed.

  By nice I more or less meant "very cost effective."

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 15:52:47 +0000 (UTC)

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
At150bogomips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| Bill Davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| >  It works that way now... unless the mlock() call is used, the kernel
| >brings in only what you use. That's what "demand paging" means.
| >

| Sorry.  Merely showing my ignorance.  However, there does not seem to be a
| syscall to communicate usage hints (as the previously pointed to madvise on
| Solaris).

  Hopefully a bored developer is reading this thread ;-) But I'm not
sure how much all this advisory really helps in real life. It would be
most useful in systems with inadequate hardware, trying to get the last
drop out of not enough memory.

  Since there is an existing model, if it gets done at all hopefully it
will get done compatibly.

From: "Karl Heyes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ext2 limitations
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 16:54:52 +0100

In article <SUuP6.12333$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Jason Kusar"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Does anyone know what the maximum number of entries is on an ext2 partition?
>  Thanks,
> Jason

use tune2fs -l /dev/XXXXX

karl.

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to the
comp.os.linux.development.system newsgroup.