Linux-Development-Sys Digest #781, Volume #8     Mon, 11 Jun 01 02:13:09 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Request for comment - notion for cpuset option in umask. (Paul Jackson)
  "Locked Directory" for floppy & CDROM (Jose W. Shermanson)
  Re: Linux-2.4.5
  Re: why un*x does not support select/poll events on directories?
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: why un*x does not support select/poll events on directories?
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: winmodem source file can be modified ? (Karsten Jensen)
  Re: Linux-2.4.5 ("Karl Heyes")
  a question about MBR (Zhu Liming)
  about EBIOS (Zhu Liming)
  Re: winmodem source file can be modified ? ("Maximus Idius2")
  Re: winmodem source file can be modified ? ("Maximus Idius2")
  Anjuta IDE :: Integreated Development Environment for C/C++) :: Gnome ("Misha")
  Re: "Locked Directory" for floppy & CDROM (Jerry Peters)
  Parsing error ("Greg K")
  Re: Parsing error
  Re: a question about MBR (cLIeNUX user)
  close or shutdown the tcp socket when it is in SYN_SEND (HuYp)
  Re: a question about MBR (Zhu Liming)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Jackson)
Subject: Re: Request for comment - notion for cpuset option in umask.
Date: 10 Jun 2001 07:09:14 GMT

Oops  - my subject should say "ulimit", not "umask".
--

                          I won't rest till it's the best ...
                          Manager, Linux Scalability

------------------------------

From: Jose W. Shermanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: "Locked Directory" for floppy & CDROM
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 07:31:54 -0000

I'm not sure this is a kernal question or a file system one but I cannot
access my CDROM nor my floppy.  I recently loaded Mandrake Linux v8.0.  All
went well for about 2 weeks and then, for some reason unknown to me, when I
attempt to access my CDROM or floppy, I get an error message "You do not
have enough permissions to read file:/mnt/floppy."  The "file type" column
displayed by konqueror says "locked directory."  I suspect I somehow shut
down LINUX while these devices were busy and the condition hasn't been
cleared.  Any suggestions short of re-installing would be appreciated.  I
am a total novice to LINUX but have 30+ years experience with mainframe
OSs.  Thanks.  Jose

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux-2.4.5
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 07:32:02 -0000

Karl Heyes wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Unknown"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > I have been trying to upgrade from RH2.2.12-20 to kernel 2.4.5. I am
running
> > an AMD-K6-2 processor with 64mb ram, a CreativeLabs PCI 512 sound card,
and
> > a Lynksys NIC. The kernel freezes at boot. It only gets as for as
> > Uncompressing linux.... Ok boot. This not verbatum but close. I tried
2.4.3
> > previously with the same problem. The pathes were unsuccessful.  B.M.
> > Richard
>
> Did you build 2.4.5 with virtual console support? if not then that would
> explain it.
>
> karl
The kernel was built with virtual console support. I rebuilt it with the
same result .

Blaine

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: why un*x does not support select/poll events on directories?
Date: 10 Jun 2001 07:14:35 GMT

On 8 Jun 2001 11:23:18 -0400 Alexander Viro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| In article <9fqpek$2ge$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
|  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
|>
|>if everything is a file why not unix designers add directory events to
|>select/poll system calls?
|
| Because select/poll is not a part of design, it's a hack added afterwards.
| Broken one, at that.

kevent() looks like a better design to me.

| Phil Howard - KA9WGN |   Dallas   | http://linuxhomepage.com/ |
| [EMAIL PROTECTED] | Texas, USA | http://phil.ipal.org/     |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 10 Jun 2001 07:22:21 GMT

On 8 Jun 2001 16:11:09 -0400 Alexander Viro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| In article <9fr2sf$3in$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
|>
|>> Because select/poll is not a part of design, it's a hack added afterwards.
|>> Broken one, at that.
|>
|>I'm curious on why they did not add directory events,
|
| Think of network filesystems. There you have no way to generate such
| events without sending a packet storm upon every file creation.

So the alternative, polling the directory for any changes every
cycle of time, is better?

What about the idea of registering an interest in changes in a
resource by certain processes inside the kernel, and when the
change happens, put the interest element onto a queue to go into
the dispatcher?  Then run the process (in the kernel) when the
change happens.  And pass along what changed, too.

Subject: Re: winmodem source file can be modified ?
From: Karsten Jensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 10 Jun 2001 11:06:19 +0200

"Maximus Idius2" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a Rex-PCI56K, from Ratoc system, which has source file and make file
> for
> Turbolinux 5.0, 6.0; Redhat 6.1, 6.2, slackware, etc., yet it does not run
> under
> redhat 7.1 or 7.0.
>
> The makefile and source ptmodule.c is below. I wonder if anyone can give
> advice on what other files are needed and/or if they can be modified for
> just generic winmodem ?
>

> TIAM
>

> maximus idius

The code is only setting the kernel-version in the module. That means
that insmod will not complain about modules having wrong version. The
real problem with this binary only module is it dosnīt work if the
kernel API changes, as it does when going from 2.2 version kernels to
2.4 version kernels. You can only wait for a new driver if you want to
use this modem with Redhat 7.1 or 7.0

Karsten Jensen

------------------------------

From: "Karl Heyes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 14:06:57 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "porcelain1"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The kernel was built with virtual console support. I rebuilt it with the
> same result .
>
> Blaine
Hmmm...

what chipset do you have VIA I presume but which model.  You could try
removing each of the cards to see if that boots up, just in case there is
some conflict.

karl.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Zhu Liming)
Subject: a question about MBR
Date: 10 Jun 2001 07:14:56 -0700

I read the MBR these days, and found it seems that the begin of MBR is
cli and relocate the sector from 0:0x7c00 to 0:0x600, then sti.

can anyone tell me why "cli", thanks!

Zhu Liming

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Zhu Liming)
Subject: about EBIOS
Date: 10 Jun 2001 07:17:49 -0700

can anyone tell where to find information about EBIOS.
I'm reading MBR,and need it.

thanks!

Zhu Liming

------------------------------

From: "Maximus Idius2" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 02:11:29 +0900

"Karsten Jensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Maximus Idius2" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a Rex-PCI56K, from Ratoc system, which has source file and make
file
> > for
> > Turbolinux 5.0, 6.0; Redhat 6.1, 6.2, slackware, etc., yet it does not
run
> > under
> > redhat 7.1 or 7.0.
> >
> > The makefile and source ptmodule.c is below. I wonder if anyone can give
> > advice on what other files are needed and/or if they can be modified for
> > just generic winmodem ?
> >

> > TIAM
> >

> > maximus idius
> >

> The code is only setting the kernel-version in the module. That means
> that insmod will not complain about modules having wrong version. The
> real problem with this binary only module is it dosnīt work if the
> kernel API changes, as it does when going from 2.2 version kernels to
> 2.4 version kernels. You can only wait for a new driver if you want to
> use this modem with Redhat 7.1 or 7.0
>
> Karsten Jensen

Thank you. It clears me for now.  Probably I have to wait.

max idius

------------------------------

From: "Maximus Idius2" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 02:12:30 +0900

"Jim Bean" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Might need to use kgcc instead of gcc. Its "special" for kernel type
> use.
> Jim

Thank you Jim. I will try once again, but as Karsten suggested in his reply,
probably I have to wait for new driver.

max idius

--

> Maximus Idius2 wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a Rex-PCI56K, from Ratoc system, which has source file and make
file
> > for
> > Turbolinux 5.0, 6.0; Redhat 6.1, 6.2, slackware, etc., yet it does not
run
> > under
> > redhat 7.1 or 7.0.
> >
> > The makefile and source ptmodule.c is below. I wonder if anyone can give
> > advice on what other files are needed and/or if they can be modified for
> > just generic winmodem ?
> >
> > TIAM
> >
> > maximus idius
> >
> > ---
> >
> > ---   MAKEFILE  BEGINNING   ----
> >
> > #
> > # Makefile for the PCtel module
> > #
> > # Note! The CFLAGS definition is now inherited from the
> > # parent makefile.
> > #
> >
> > HPATH    = ../../include
> > FINDHPATH = $(HPATH)/asm $(HPATH)/linux $(HPATH)/scsi $(HPATH)/net
> >
> > HOSTCC   =gcc -I$(HPATH)
> > HOSTCFLAGS =-O -fomit-frame-pointer
> >
> > CROSS_COMPILE  =
> >
> > COL_DEBUG_FLAGS =
> >
> > AS =$(CROSS_COMPILE)as
> > LD =$(CROSS_COMPILE)ld
> > CC =$(CROSS_COMPILE)gcc -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -Wall
$(HOSTCFLAGS) -I$(HPATH)
> > ${COL_DEBUG_FLAGS}
> > CPP =$(CC) -E
> > AR =$(CROSS_COMPILE)ar
> > NM =$(CROSS_COMPILE)nm
> > STRIP =$(CROSS_COMPILE)strip
> > MAKE =make
> >
> > EXTRA_LDFLAGS :=
> >
> > # object files directory
> >
> > O_TARGET := ../../lib/pctel.o
> >
> > # object files
> > O_OBJS := \
> >  ptmodule.o \
> >
> > OX_OBJS := \
> >  ../../lib/control.a \
> >  ../../lib/hal.a \
> >  ../../lib/dsp.a \
> >  ../../lib/ptserial.a
> >
> > all_targets: $(O_TARGET) $(L_TARGET)
> >
> > %.s: %.c
> >  $(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(EXTRA_CFLAGS) -S $< -o $@
> >
> > %.o: %.c
> >  $(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(EXTRA_CFLAGS) -c -o $@ $<
> >
> > %.o: %.s
> >  $(AS) $(ASFLAGS) $(EXTRA_CFLAGS) -o $@ $<
> >
> > ifdef O_TARGET
> > ALL_O = $(O_OBJS) $(OX_OBJS)
> > $(O_TARGET): $(ALL_O) Makefile
> >  rm -f $@
> >  $(LD) -r $(EXTRA_LDFLAGS) -o $@ $(ALL_O)
> > endif
> >
> > clean:
> >  rm -f *.o
> > ifdef L_TARGET
> >  rm -f $(L_TARGET)
> > endif
> > ifdef O_TARGET
> >  rm -f $(O_TARGET)
> > endif
> >
> > ---  END  MAKEFILE  ----
> >
> > ---- Source:  ptmodule.c  ----
> >
> > /*
> >  * For the definition of __module_kernel_version[] so that
> >  * the modem driver can be compatible with various Linux kernel
> >  * versions.
> >  *
> >  * This file is to be linked with the rest of the libraries in
> >  * the distribution package.
> >  */
> >
> > #include <linux/version.h>
> > const char __module_kernel_version[]
__attribute__((section(".modinfo"))) =
> > "kernel_version=" UTS_RELEASE;
> > #ifdef MODVERSIONS
> > const char __module_using_checksums[]
__attribute__((section(".modinfo"))) =

------------------------------

From: "Misha" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Anjuta IDE :: Integreated Development Environment for C/C++) :: Gnome
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 14:32:29 -0700

Anjuta is a very versatile Integrated development environment for c and c++
Gnu/Linux. Written in gtk/gnome and written for gtk/gnome, it features many
advanced programming tools and utilities. Besides many other, it has project
management, application wizards, onboard interactive debugger, and a
powerful source editor with source browsing.

http://anjuta.sourceforge.net

------------------------------

From: Jerry Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "Locked Directory" for floppy & CDROM
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 20:47:12 GMT

Jose W. Shermanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm not sure this is a kernal question or a file system one but I cannot
> access my CDROM nor my floppy.  I recently loaded Mandrake Linux v8.0.  All
> went well for about 2 weeks and then, for some reason unknown to me, when I
> attempt to access my CDROM or floppy, I get an error message "You do not
> have enough permissions to read file:/mnt/floppy."  The "file type" column

> displayed by konqueror says "locked directory."  I suspect I somehow shut
> down LINUX while these devices were busy and the condition hasn't been
> cleared.  Any suggestions short of re-installing would be appreciated.  I
> am a total novice to LINUX but have 30+ years experience with mainframe
> OSs.  Thanks.  Jose

> --

What are the permissions and who owns the mount points?

        Jerry

------------------------------

From: "Greg K" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Parsing error
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 17:26:50 -0700

Hi,

     I'm just a newbie at C and along with my ongoing study I'm also
browsing through a couple of books here and there amd compiling the programs
on Linux just to develop my typing skills and learn GCC.

    This code is from a book, "The Pocket Guide to TCP/IP Sockets":

echoStringLen = strlen(echoString);          /* Determine input length */

    /* Send the string to the server */
    if (send(sock, echoString, echoStringLen, 0) != echoStringLen)
        DieWithError("send() sent a different number of bytes than
expected");

When I compile it I get the error "tcpechoclient.c:54:parse error before
'!'"

Since I am still fairly new to C programming, and the publishers errata page
for the book appears to be buggy (I guess that's why it's called an errata
page), can anyone here see a problem with the above syntax?  Is there an
application I can use that will run through the code and point out the the
parsing error in a little more detail?  I have stared at the whole program
code for an hour and I don't see any difference from the book.

    Thanks,

            Greg

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Parsing error
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 18:26:47 -0700

Dear Greg:
    Well, my guess would be that either sock is not declared properly in
your program or you are giving the wrong arguments to send. I believe the
compiler is correctly identifying your problem as just before the "!" in the
"!=" [not equal to] statement. I suspect that there is some header file in
your book, or some other piece of the program that is missing and the parser
in the c compiler is having trouble right after the closing parentheses
after the 0. This means that what is enclosed by the parentheses is the
problem.

news:4eUU6.3357$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: r@cLIeNUX. (cLIeNUX user)
Subject: Re: a question about MBR
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 02:51:35 -0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>I read the MBR these days, and found it seems that the begin of MBR is
>cli and relocate the sector from 0:0x7c00 to 0:0x600, then sti.
>
>can anyone tell me why "cli", thanks!

I think because there's a pending interrupt from the floppy controller
that you have to ignore.

Rick Hohensee
www.clienux.com

------------------------------

From: HuYp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: close or shutdown the tcp socket when it is in SYN_SEND
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 04:58:04 GMT

Hi all,

I'm confused that I can't close the socket when it is in SYN_SEND state,
for examples after using "connect" primitive to the remote host, I
decide to close it but it is impossible, I tried close(id) and
shutdown(id, SHUT_RDWR), it didn't work. Who can help me? OS is redhat
linux 6.0, kernel version is 2.2.9.

I has another question, there are two hosts A and B in the same subnet,
and there is the route to each other in both host. I powered off B, and
tried to telnet it in A, according to TCP specification it should return
"unable to connect" error after 75 seconds, in fact it return the error
"no route to B" after several seconds, why?

Thanks a lot!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Zhu Liming)
Date: 10 Jun 2001 22:28:36 -0700

thanks for your reply, but can you explain more about what you say.

r@cLIeNUX. (cLIeNUX user) wrote in message news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >I read the MBR these days, and found it seems that the begin of MBR is
> >cli and relocate the sector from 0:0x7c00 to 0:0x600, then sti.
> >
> >can anyone tell me why "cli", thanks!
>
> I think because there's a pending interrupt from the floppy controller
what is the "pending interrupt"?

> that you have to ignore.
>
> Rick Hohensee
> www.clienux.com
>

> >Zhu Liming

Zhu Liming

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to the
comp.os.linux.development.system newsgroup.