On Tuesday 15 November 2016 03:21 PM, Mark Rutland wrote:
On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 05:36:44AM +0530, Anurup M wrote:
On Friday 11 November 2016 12:00 AM, Mark Rutland wrote:
On Thu, Nov 03, 2016 at 01:42:01AM -0400, Anurup M wrote:
+       - scl-id : The Super Cluster ID. This can be the ID of the CPU die
+                  or IO die in the chip.
What's this needed for?
This is used as suffix to the PMU name. hisi_l3c<scl-id>. (hisi_l3c2
- for scl-id = 2).
This is to identify the pmu correspond to which CPU die in the socket.
+       - num-events : No of events supported by this PMU device.
+
+       - num-counters : No of hardware counters available for counting.
This isn't probeable or well-known?
My idea is to have the common properties of SoC PMU added here.
The num-events, num-counters etc. So that handling can be made
common in the driver.
Is it not recommended? Please share your comments.
This feels like something that should be well-known for the programming
model of the device. If the number of events and/or counters shange, I'd
expect other things to also change such that the device is no longer
compatible with previous versions.

[...]

Agreed, it is possible that the versions can be still incompatible. Shall move it to
driver in v2.

The below two properties (module-id, cfgen-map) differs between
chips hip05/06 and hip07.
The module-id property sounds like a HW description, but it's not
entirely clear to me what cfgen-map is; more comments on that below.

Please suggest.
+       - module-id : Module ID to input for djtag. This property is an array of
+                     module_id for each L3 cache banks.
+
+       - num-banks : Number of banks or instances of the device.
What's a bank? Surely they have separate instances of the PMU?
Yes each bank is a separate instance of PMU.
If it is recommended to have each L3 cache bank registered as
separate PMU with perf, then this property will be removed.
Generally, I think that separate instances are preferable.

What order are these in?
The bank number will start from "1" till "4" for L3 cache as there
are four banks in hip05/06/07 chips.
+       - cfgen-map : Config enable array to select the bank.
Huh?
As above, it's not clear to me what this property represents. Could you
please clarify?
This property is used to select the bank. The naming lead to confusion.
I shall change it to bank_select.
If it is recommended to register each L3 cache bank as separate PMU then
this property will be moved to driver.

Thanks
Anurup

Thanks,