On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 4:48 PM, Jani Nikula <jani.nik...@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Mar 2017, Jonathan Corbet <cor...@lwn.net> wrote:
>> On Fri,  3 Mar 2017 22:43:30 +0000
>> Martyn Welch <martyn.we...@collabora.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Build of HTML docs failing due to conversion of deviceiobook.tmpl in
>>> 8a8a602f and regulator.tmpl in 028f2533 to RST without removing from
>>> DOCBOOKS in Makefile, resulting (in the case of deviceiobook) the
>>> following error:
>>>
>>> make[1]: *** No rule to make target
>>> 'Documentation/DocBook/deviceiobook.xml', needed by
>>> 'Documentation/DocBook/deviceiobook.aux.xml'.  Stop.
>>> Makefile:1452: recipe for target 'htmldocs' failed
>>> make: *** [htmldocs] Error 2
>>>
>>> Update DOCBOOKS to reflect available books.
>>
>> Sigh, that's bad.  Not sure how I achieved that.  Applied, thanks.
>
> Looking at the git logs for the remaining .tmpl files, and how few
> updates there have been over the years, IMHO at some point we should
> just announce that we'll do a scripted bulk conversion of them to rst
> unless people step up to do a better job. Give them a release cycle or
> so to do it. Maybe shove the rst files under Documentation/staging, or
> label them as such.

Documentation/staging might be a good idea in general. There's a lot
of outdated gunk which we could move there, and then delete a few
kernel releases later on. git can always resurrect it if needed.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation