On 09/15/2017 09:28 AM, Petr Mladek wrote:

> I am still slightly nervous that external tools would need updating.
> Also they might have troubles to interpret the time stamps especially
> when the source is changed at runtime via
> /sys/module/printk/parameters/time.

In earlier versions I had logic to prevent switching during runtime.  tglx
requested that it be removed and I removed it.  Personally I fall into the "I'm
going to set it once and never change it" however, as Mark will offer there are
cases where it might be advantageous to change the timestamp.  I think he has a
patch that will append a b/r/etc. to the timestamp so that userspace can
interpret the different timestamps.

P.