* Andrea Parri <andrea.pa...@amarulasolutions.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > >    This way we soft- decouple the refreshing of the entries from the
> > >    introduction of the features, while still making it all easy to keep
> > >    sync and to extend."
> > >
> > > This RFC presents a first attempt to implement such a feature/script, and
> > > applies it script on top of Arnd's:
> > >
> > >   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/arnd/asm-generic.git
> > > arch-removal
> > >
> > > Patch 1/3 provides the "features-refresh.sh" script.  Patch 2/3 removes
> > > the
> > > "BPF-JIT" feature file and it creates header-only files for "cBPF-JIT" and
> > > "eBPF-JIT".  Patch 3/3 presents the results of running the script; this
> > > run
> > > also printed to standard output the following warnings:
> > >
> > >   WARNING: '__HAVE_ARCH_STRNCASECMP' is not a valid Kconfig
> > >   WARNING: 'Optimized asm/rwsem.h' is not a valid Kconfig
> > >   WARNING: '!ARCH_USES_GETTIMEOFFSET' is not a valid Kconfig
> > >   WARNING: '__HAVE_ARCH_PTE_SPECIAL' is not a valid Kconfig
> > >
> > > (I'm sending these patches with empty commit messagges, for early
> > > feedback:
> > >  I'll fill in these messages in subsequent versions if this makes
> > > sense...)
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >   Andrea
> > >
> > > Andrea Parri (3):
> > >   Documentation/features: Add script that refreshes the arch support
> > > status files in place
> > >   Documentation/features/core: Add arch support status files for
> > > 'cBPF-JIT' and 'eBPF-JIT'
> > >   Documentation/features: Refresh and auto-generate the arch support
> > > status files in place
> >
> > Ok, this series is really impressive at its RFC stage already!
> >
> > Beyond fixing those warnings, I'd also suggest another change: please make
> > the
> > new BPF features patch the last one, so that the 'refresh' patch shows how
> > much
> > original bit-rot we gathered recently.
> >
> > The 'new features' patch should then also include the result of also
> > running the
> > script, i.e. a single patch adding the base fields and the generated parts
> > as
> > well. That will be the usual development flow anyway - people won't do
> > two-part
> > patches just to show which bits are by hand and which are auto-generated.
>
> Yes, I'll do.
>
> Let me ask some hints about the warnings, as I'm not sure how to 'fix' them;
> we have:
>
>   a) __HAVE_ARCH_STRNCASECMP
>      __HAVE_ARCH_PTE_SPECIAL
>
>   b) Optimized asm/rwsem.h
>
>   c) !ARCH_USES_GETTIMEOFFSET
>
> For (c), I see two options:
>
>   1. replace that with 'ARCH_USES_GETTIMEOFFSET' (and update the status
>      matrix accordingly)
>
>   2. add logics/code to the script to handle simple boolean expressions
>      (mmh, this could get nasty really soon... let's say: limiting to a

Yeah, so the problem here is that the feature is the _lack_ of legacy
ARCH_USES_GETTIMEOFFSET, so we cannot just invert the check - the output would
be
rather confusing ...

Negating the switch in the kernel would force us to add a "arch uses modern
timekeeping" flag to every other architecture - not a very good solution.

I'd suggest adding support for a simple '!' operator with very strict syntax -
nothing more. (This would also be useful for (b), see below.)

> For (a), I realize that 'grep-ing' the macros in arch-specific _sources_
> does serve the purpose of producing the hard-coded status matrices; but
> is this a reasonable approach? (e.g., can produce 'false-positives'?)

I'd suggest removing both :-)

- strncasecmp() is an insignificant API and no arch has optimized it so far.
- __HAVE_ARCH_PTE_SPECIAL is really a hardware detail.

> What could it be a suitable solution for (b)? are there Kconfig options
> which I could in place of that expression? some other suggestion?

Yes, !RWSEM_GENERIC_SPINLOCK expresses this equivalently. If you implement the
NOT
operator for ARCH_USES_GETTIMEOFFSET then it would handle this one as well.

Thanks,

        Ingo