On 29/08/2019 10.27, Juergen Gross wrote:
> On 29.08.19 10:12, Petr Mladek wrote:
>> On Wed 2019-08-28 21:18:37, Uwe Kleine-König  wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd like to postpone the discussion about "how" until we agreed about
>>> the "if at all".
>>
>> It seems that all people like this feature.
>
> Hmm, what about already existing format strings conatining "%dE"?
>
> Yes, I could find only one (drivers/staging/speakup/speakup_bns.c), but
> nevertheless...

Indeed, Uwe still needs to respond to how he wants to handle that. I
still prefer making it %pE, both because it's easier to convert integers
to ERR_PTRs than having to worry about the type of PTR_ERR() being long
and not int, and because alphanumerics after %p have been ignored for a
long time (10 years?) whether or not those characters have been
recognized as a %p extension, so nobody relies on %pE putting an E after
the %p output. It also keeps the non-standard extensions in the same
"namespace", so to speak.

Oh, 'E' is taken, well, make it 'e' then.

Rasmus