Manu Abraham wrote:
> On 7/25/07, Patrick Boettcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Imho this is the preferred way. The master_xfer function of the virtual
> > > i2c bus could setup the BCU switch, then call master_xfer of the
> > > physical i2c bus.
> >
> > I second this idea. Exactly like this is how I did with the dib7000/3000
> > and the mt2060. It is the best and cleanest approach IMHO.
> >

> Cool. Will proceed this way then without waiting much.

As a nice side effect of this concept, you may use standard i2ctools
(i2cdump, i2cset, i2cget) to access the devices connected to a virtual
bus.

> My plan goes this way.
>
> * dvb-usb provides the real I2C bus.
> * the Host BIU is registered, which registers Virtual Bus #0 and #1
> * the MASTER demod get's attached to VBus #0 - 0
> * the MASTER tuner get's attached as a SLAVE on to the MASTER demod on
> VBus #0 - 1
> * the SLAVE demod get's attached to VBus #1
> * the SLAVE tuner get's attached as a SLAVE on to the SLAVE demod on VBus #1
> - 0
> * firmware is downloaded via VBus #0 to the Host
> * firmware is copied from MASTER to SLAVE via VBus #0 to VBus #1 - 1
>
> though the firmware download is a property of the demodulator, it
> would not be elegant from the demodulator hardware POV to download the
> firmware twice (the BIU host will be doing 2 transfers, one from the
> PC to the BIU Host and the BIU to the SLAVE)

Does it take a long time to download the firmware?
If not, I would go for the easiest way. (I guess the firmware has to be
loaded after a coldstart only.)

> In this case the firmware has to be copied from demod #0 to demod #1
> for effeciency reasons, though a dual download can be used. But AFAICS
> the firmware getting downloaded to the demod would be necessary in the
> SLAVE - SLAVE configuration as found on PCI/PCIe devices, since there
> is no BIU in that configuration.
>
> I think it might be better then, that the firmware download in the
> demodulators is conditionally done through a BIU config data structure
> in such a case
>
> (Thoughts ?)

You might add a firmware_request callback to the configuration struct
passed to the demod_attach routine (see tda1004x driver, for example).

The card driver will set this entry before calling demod_attach.
For a dual download, it might point to the same routine for each demod.
For the download+copy approach, you might set the callback of the second
demod to a special firmware copy routine.

CU
Oliver