Michael Krufky wrote:
> Oliver Endriss wrote:
>
> >Manu Abraham wrote:

> >>Ideally, what's provided by the demod and not the tuner max/min. The
> >>tuners max/min should be checked by the demod on setting params.
> >>
> >>The upper/lower limits in the demodulator drivers, came from the
> >>concept of a frontend as a whole. Independant bounds do not make sense
> >>(except internally -- It is the demod driver that which sets
> >>parameters for the tuner. The external world doesn't need to know
> >>what's the limit of the tuner, but only of the frontend as a whole).
> >>
> >>Ideally, the demodulator should just demodulate only. There are some
> >>cases, there are some cases which are not.
> >>

> >Ok, I'm trying to put all pieces together:
> >There might be cases where demod and tuner have different limits.
> >
> >So FE_GET_INFO and dvb_frontend_check_parameters() should use the
> >'smallest common bandwidth':
> >
> >freq_min = max(fe->ops.info.frequency_min,
> >fe->ops.tuner_ops.info.frequency_min);
> >
> >if (fe->ops.info.frequency_max == 0)
> >     freq_max = fe->ops.tuner_ops.info.frequency_max;
> >else if (fe->ops.tuner_ops.info.frequency_max == 0)
> >     freq_max = fe->ops.info.frequency_max;
> >else
> >     freq_max = min(fe->ops.info.frequency_max,
> > fe->ops.tuner_ops.info.frequency_max);
> >
> >if (freq_min == 0 || freq_max == 0)
> >     printk(KERN_WARNING "frequency limits undefined - please fix the
> > driver\n");
> >
> >Conclusions:
> >- A tuner-only driver must set fe->ops.tuner_ops.info.
> >- Monolithic drivers must set fe->ops.tuner_ops.info or fe->ops.info
> >  (or both).
> >

> I apologize for my delayed response -- I had to leave town unexpectedly.

No problem.

> The above is OK with me.  As I understand it, we cannot remove
> fe->ops.info.frequency_max|min because it is part of the userspace API.
> I wasn't thinking about that fact when I wrote my last email in this
> thread.  We should keep this in mind, for whenever the time comes that
> we do have to break API compat.

Basically, the internal data structures don't have to be the same as the
external API data structures. The GET_INFO ioctl might collect its data
from anywhere...

I think we should postpone cleaning-up the frontend data until
multiproto has been merged. It will add more compatibility stuff,
so it might be worth cleaning up these things afterwards.

For now I have committed Hartmut's patch and the fix above.

CU
Oliver