Dear Markus;
    I got it. Why I have that confusion is that my usb device only
support standard NTSC(720*480), so VIDIOC_S_FMT in my driver don't
need to modify the video capture buffer.
    But I will still design the code as the usual way, maybe one day,
my hardware will support other tv norm. :-)
   You are so kind !!!
   Thank you so much.