James Klaas wrote:
> HD capture ...... HDMI/component/composite

Whether it be done through an analog connection (eg. component) or
digital connection (eg. HDMI/DVI/SDI), it all falls under the realm of
the V4L subsystem, not DVB.

V4L API's current facilities may not even extend far enough for such
applications anyway .... I'm not certain, nor really qualified to
comment (so someone with a more authoritative opinion should be listened
to/consulted), but I expect that this would be rather pioneering with
the current API and, hence, would require some additions/extensions to
be made before such tasks could be realized.

> There was a discussion over on the mythtv-users forum on HD capture
> that devolved into another discussion, but there was an article on
> converting your HD-DVDs to Blue-Ray
> (http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Convert_Your_HD_DVDs_to_Blu-Ray).  They
> pointed to a HDMI/component/composite capture card at
> http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/.
>
> While I wouldn't expect this to be supported anytime soon, has anyone
> even looked at this?

- By chance, in that discussion on the mythtv-users forum to which you
refer, did any of the contributers/posters search that m/l's own
archives in respect to the Intensity? If not, then in this thread (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/223410#223410 ) you
will see that Blackmagic reportedly expressed some openness towards the
idea of Linux support. I haven't heard of anything further on the matter
than that ... that doesn't mean that there hasn't been anything else
said, and perhaps there is indeed some follow up ... I don't know ...
but either way, that will require some searching, and that I leave as an
exercise for someone else.

- in regards to whether anyone around here has looked at this, I don't
think any of the regulars ever have ... let alone ever considered it ...
most people wouldn't even be aware of it (and the other existing
alternatives ) ... in addition, it would be new territory, and likely a
difficult development process ... so if there is anyone working on that
device, or looking at it, its likely they are not directly associated or
involved around here.

- in addition to BM's Intensity and Intensity Pro, there are a few other
"cheaper" solutions that are available. This thread on Doom9 (and
despite its title) makes mention of them and provides examples of some
of them in use: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1044824#post1044824

- as far as I know, the more expensive professional and prosumer
solutions (i.e the AJA xena's, BM Decklinks, Accustreams, Bluefish444
cards etc etc) do have Linux support ... albeit, it is through
proprietary SDKs or developed inhouse by the production studios using
such products . There was a brief discussion about these on the V4L
mailing list a few years ago; see/read through this thread:
http://marc.info/?l=linux-video&m=115374256412690&w=2

- lastly, did that MythTV-users thread mention the forthcoming Hauppauge
HD-PVR (component input) ? ... given that the LinuxTV developer rank
does include a couple of guys from Hauppauge, and given that both of
them have made mention of that device, and given Hauppauge's stance on
Linux support is very positive, I'd be willing to bet that the chances
of open/publicly available support for this device materializing are
far, far greater than any of the other devices mentioned
above.....though, bear in mind there are, of course, never any
guarantees or certainties, nor am I speaking on the behave of anyone.