On Thu, 13 Nov, at 02:51:28AM, Kweh, Hock Leong wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> First of all, I would like to apologize if my commit message gives you guys
> an impression
> that to use request_firmware_abort(), you guys MUST do the synchronization on
> your own.
> But the fact is, it is not a MUST. Below will provide more detail.
>
> Regarding this synchronization topic, I would like to open a discussion to
> get a
> better approach to handle this problem. Before jumping onto the design, I
> would
> like to give a background of why I am doing in this way.
>
> - Only doing module unload is required to be aware of this synchronization
>       -> Ensuring the call back does not fall into unloaded code which may
> cause
>            undefined behavior.
>       -> Ensuring the put_device() & module_put() code have finished in
> firmware_class.c
>            function request_firmware_work_func() before the device is
> unregistered
>            and module unloaded happen.

Shouldn't the existing module_{put,get}() and {put,get}_device() calls
provide all the necessary synchronisation?

Module unload should not be possible while other code is using the
module (and the module refcnt has been incremented accordindly).

Right?

--
Matt Fleming, Intel Open Source Technology Center