On 6 November 2018 at 22:34, Will Deacon <will.dea...@arm.com> wrote:
> Hi Ard,
>
> On Tue, Nov 06, 2018 at 12:37:28PM +0100, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
>> This series addresses the kexec/kdump crash on arm64 system with many CPUs
>> that was reported by Bhupesh.
>>
>> Patches #1 and #2 fix the actual crash. Patches #3 and #4 optimize the
>> EFI persistent memreserve infrastructure so that fewer memblock reservations
>> are required.
>
> I acked the arm64 part and patches 3 and 4 look good afaict, so:
>
> Acked-by: Will Deacon <will.dea...@arm.com>
>
> for those as well.
>
> The only thing I was wondering is whether or not exhausting the page-sized
> array in the first list entry is rare enough that we could just realloc the
> thing and copy instead of chaining together new pages. That said, without
> seeing the code it's hard to tell whether you save much complexity with such
> a scheme so I'll leave it up to you.

Well, the problem is that the page-sized array may have been allocated
by a previous kernel, and so it may be memblock_reserve()d already, in
which case reallocating does not actually free up the memory in a
useful way.

Also, in the unlikely event that we race and allocate two new pages at
the same time, the current scheme will not break (and we will
ultimately fill up all the slots in both pages before allocating even
more pages). This will become a lot trickier if we do reallocation.

So if the current approach looks correct to you, then I'd prefer to
stick with it.

Do you agree with applying #3 and #4 as fixes?