Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> > Contrast with kernel.org: everyone knows where to get a good working
> > Linux kernel for the mainstream architectures, and the quality work
> > tends to be quite good at reaching mainline there nowadays.
>
> ACK. But you perhaps remember the discussions on LKML where some
> folks wanted to stop this and leave all the QM works to individual
> distros. I'm glad this plan was dropped.

I'm glad too.  I've had to do the reverse: cherry-pick through 2000
patches from distro kernel source packages, to find the good ones for
my kernel - bug fixes, driver fixes.  It took a long time, and I had
to give up before finishing, it was simply too much work.

That was 2.4, back when distros did a lot of their own patches, kept
outside the mainline kernel.  Thankfully, the 2.6 process is much better.

-- Jamie