Bernd Petrovitsch ha scritto:
On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 09:51 +0200, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
On Tuesday 29 July 2008 09:40:20 Marco Stornelli wrote:
Robert P. J. Day ha scritto:
  just curious -- how many folks are working in C++ in their embedded
linux work?

Not if it's in anyway avoidable.

[....]
Like Linus Torvals said "...C++ is an horrible language" :)
If you avoid RTTI and exceptions and if you are handle templates and multiple inheritance carefully I see nothing which speaks against using it for embedded and real-time software.

That's the main reason for *not* using C++ in the embedded world in the
first place.
Tell people that they may use C++ and see them happy.
Then tell them that you better not use templates, RTTI, exceptions and
multiple inheritance if you want to boot from small space.

Yes, one *can* use the above features and get small features. But most
people simply can't - if only that they use some tool/lib written in C++
(and coming from the "normal" world) which simply uses them without
thinking about space and wonder why the device won't run with "only"
128MB flash and run in 16MB RAM.

BTW why should I use C++ if I don't use any "fancy features"?

        Bernd
I quite agree with you

--
Marco Stornelli