I quite agree with Ben and Christian. I think UIO drivers are usable for
simple devices, I think they aren't mature (will it ever be?) to use it
with complicated devices or with strict requirement.

Regards,

Douglas, Jim (Jim) ha scritto:
> We are contemplating porting a large number of device drivers to Linux.
> The pragmatic solution is to keep them in user mode (using the UIO
> framework) where possible ... they are written in C++ for a start.
>
> The obvious disadvantages of user mode device drivers are security /
> isolation.  The main benefit is ease of development.
>
> Do you know what the *technical* disadvantages of this approach might
> be? I am most concerned about possible impact on interrupt handling.
>
> For example, I assume the context switching overhead is higher, and that
> interrupt latency is more difficult to predict?
>
> --jim douglas
> Avaya UK, Registered in England and Wales under Registered Number
> 3049861, Registered Address: Avaya House, Cathedral Hill, Guildford,
> Surrey, GU2 7YL.
>
> --

Marco Stornelli
Embedded Software Engineer
CoRiTeL - Consorzio di Ricerca sulle Telecomunicazioni
http://www.coritel.it

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
+39 06 72582838