On Saturday 03 January 2009 20:48:21 David Vrabel wrote:
> Rob Landley wrote:
> > From: Rob Landley <r...@landley.net>
> >
> > Replace kernel/timeconst.pl with kernel/timeconst.sh.  The new shell
> > script is much simpler, about 1/4 the size, and runs on Red Hat 9 from
> > 2003.
> >
> > It requires a shell which can do 64 bit math, such as bash, busybox ash,
> > or dash running on a 64 bit host.
>
> I use Ubuntu (hence dash) on 32 bit systems so I think this needs to
> work with dash on 32 bit hosts.

I have a qemu/images directory full of various OS images for testing purposes.

I just fired up my jeos 7.10 image to make sure that even the most stripped-
down version of Ubuntu ("just enough operating system) still installs bash by
default, and it does.  (It doesn't install a development toolchain, but it
does install bash.)

I also installed a 32 bit xubuntu 8.10 image (which took 4 hours for some
reason, and which also has bash), and explicitly tested its 32-bit
"/bin/dash", and that did 64-bit math too.  So current versions of dash do
offer 64 bit math on 32 bit platforms.

> David

Rob