(Please CC your replies to me, I'm not on the list.)

An initial version of the .xz file format decoder for Linux is now
available at <git://ctrl.tukaani.org/xz-embedded.git>. It supports both
stateful and single-call decoding using the LZMA2 algorithm.

Two buffers (1.2 KiB and 28 KiB) are allocated with kmalloc() for
internal data. For stateful decoding, also a dictionary is allocated
with vmalloc(), which probably will usually be from 64 KiB to 1 MiB. The
dictionary is allocated when the decoder is created, so the decoder
never allocates memory in the middle of decoding. This means that if the
preallocated dictionary was too small for the input stream, decoding
will fail. In single-call mode, the destination buffer is used as the
dictionary, thus a separate dictionary doesn't need to be allocated.

On x86, xz_dec.ko is 11-14 KiB. Stack usage is around 120-240 bytes,
depending on the GCC version and compiler flags. I hope it is not too
much, but I can try to reduce it slightly if needed.

BCJ filters are not added yet. They will increase the code size a little
but they should save more space by increasing compression ratio of
executables (and naturally it will be possible to disable these filters
in the kernel config).

There is some code (mostly in xz_boot.c), which hopefully makes it
easier to add support for XZ compressed kernel and initramfs. I hope
that someone else does the actual work to get XZ support in the arch-
specific trees (IIRC, there were some patches to add bzip2 and LZMA
support already), but I'm happy to help if my code needs some
adjustments to support that work.

I have tried to follow to the kernel coding style as well as I can, but
if there are style issues that should be fixed, please let me know. I
want to keep the code usable outside Linux, which why there are some
extra #ifdefs and such. I hope this is OK.

I haven't tested the code much yet. It appears to work in userspace. The
kernel module compiles cleanly on x86, but I haven't tested it in kernel
space, because I currently have no code to feed data to the XZ decoder
in the kernel space.

--
Lasse Collin  |  IRC: Larhzu @ IRCnet & Freenode