On Wed, 2007-01-24 at 09:40 -0800, Mingming Cao wrote:
> Cordenner jean noel wrote:
> > Andreas Dilger a écrit :

> >> Have you had a chance to look at the performance impact of this change
> >> (possible with oprofile)?  Always marking the inodes dirty for ext3
> >> may have some noticable overhead.
> >>

> > I did some tests using fileop with the previous version of the patch
> > which was very similar. I was surprised that there was no noticable
> > overhead:
> >  http://www.bullopensource.org/ext4/change_attribute/index.html
> >
> > I will use oprofile to check it again.
>
> Could we just increment the counter each time the mtime is modifies(not
> the ctime)? Is that enough to serve NFSv4 need?

No. That would not conform to RFC3530:

5.5.  Mandatory Attributes - Definitions

   Name              #    DataType     Access   Description

   change            3    uint64       READ     A value created by the
                                                server that the client
                                                can use to determine
                                                if file data,
                                                directory contents or
                                                attributes of the
                                                object have been
                                                modified.  The server
                                                may return the
                                                object's time_metadata
                                                attribute for this
                                                attribute's value but
                                                only if the filesystem
                                                object can not be
                                                updated more
                                                frequently than the
                                                resolution of
                                                time_metadata.

so the change attribute needs to change on both data and metadata
updates.

Cheers,
  Trond

-