> Hi Stephen,
>
> On Wed, May 04, 2016 at 10:47:10PM +0000, Stephen Bates wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have been experimenting with putting F2FS onto a NVMe block device. I
> have been hitting a kernel panic on mount and was wondering if anyone on
> the list had any ideas what might be causing this. I formatted the NVMe block
> device using the f2fs-tools version 1.2.0 with default format settings.  This
> is
> Ubuntu 14.04 running v2.6-rc6 (though I see a similar problem on older
> kernels).
>
> I think f2fs-tools 1.2.0 is pretty old, since there've made a lot of bug
> fixes till
> 1.6.1 so far.
>
> One suspicious thing like this.
>
> commit 092e3d9da37796daf439e94141c57886d6fc6e50 "mkfs.f2fs: large
> volume support"
>
> So could you build the latest one from here?
> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/jaegeuk/f2fs-tools.git

Yes that fixed the mount panic issue, thanks!

> And, do you mean kernel v4.6-rc6?

Yes ;-).

> Thanks,

One thing I did notice is that fallocate() seems slow (5-6 GB/s) compared to
other file systems for a 3TiB fallocate() [ext4 performs the same operation in
under a second on my system)]. Is this typical/expected for F2FS? Could it be
because I have the IO_TRACE and/or _SECURITY set in .config?

CONFIG_F2FS_FS=m
CONFIG_F2FS_STAT_FS=y
CONFIG_F2FS_FS_XATTR=y
CONFIG_F2FS_FS_POSIX_ACL=y