On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 5:10 AM Jens Axboe <ax...@kernel.dk> wrote:

> On 8/21/19 12:42 AM, boojin.kim wrote:
> > This patch supports crypto information to be maintained via BIO
> > and passed to the storage driver.
> >
> > To do this, 'bi_aux_private', 'REQ_CYPTE' and 'bi_dun' are added
> > to the block layer.
> >
> > 'bi_aux_private' is added for loading additional private information into
> > BIO.
> > 'REQ_CRYPT' is added to distinguish that bi_aux_private is being used
> > for diskcipher.
> > F2FS among encryption users uses DUN(device unit number) as
> > the IV(initial vector) for cryptographic operations.
> > DUN is stored in 'bi_dun' of bi_iter as a specific value for each BIO.
> >
> > Before attempting to merge the two BIOs, the operation is also added to
> > verify that the crypto information contained in two BIOs is consistent.
>
> This isn't going to happen. With this, and the inline encryption
> proposed by Google, we'll bloat the bio even more. At least the Google
> approach didn't include bio iter changes as well.
>
> Please work it out between yourselves so we can have a single, clean
> abstraction that works for both.
>
> --
> Jens Axboe

Hi Boojin,

We're very keen to make sure that our approach to inline encryption can
work with diverse hardware, including Samsung's FMP hardware; if you
can see any issues with using our approach with your hardware please
let us know.

We understand that a possible concern for getting FMP working with our
patch series for Inline Encryption Support at

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-block/20190821075714.65140-1-sat...@google.com/

is that unlike some inline encryption hardware (and also unlike the JEDEC
UFS v2.1 spec), FMP doesn't have the concept of a limited number of
keyslots - to address that difference we have a "passthrough keyslot
manager", which we put up on top of our patch series for inline encryption
support at

https://android-review.googlesource.com/c/kernel/common/+/980137/2

Setting up a passthrough keyslot manager in the request queue of a
device allows the device to receive a bio's encryption context as-is with
the bio, which is what FMP would prefer. Are there any issues with
using the passthrough keyslot manager for FMP?

Thanks!
Satya