On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 08:05:15AM -0700, Mark Salyzyn wrote:
Replace arguments for get and set xattr methods, and __vfs_getxattr
and __vfs_setaxtr functions with a reference to the following now
common argument structure:
Yikes.  That looks like a mess.  Why can't we pass a kernel-only
flag in the existing flags field for ₋>set and add a flags field
to ->get?  Passing methods by structure always tends to be a mess.

This was a response to GregKH@ criticism, an earlier patch set just added a flag as you stated to get method, until complaints of an excessively long argument list and fragility to add or change more arguments.

So many ways have been tried to skin this cat ... the risk was taken to please some, and we now have hundreds of stakeholders, when the first patch set was less than a dozen. A recipe for failure?

-- Mark