Thomas Lange wrote:
On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 15:14:35 -0700, "Carl J. Van Arsdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
said:

> I've been playing with getting FAI setup for a couple weeks now. I've Which version are you using? Things have changed with FAI 3.0.
I have 3.0, i've been doing my best to figure it all out with the old documentation and piecing together what looks different. I'm getting there

> custom kernels. The thing is, the howto is pretty dated. It comments > putting files in files/packages which was deprecated in 2.54 from what I FAI Guide version 2.5.4, 20 april 2006 for FAI package version 2.10.1
.
Yea, you are right, I had thought that the guide had the same version as fai. Sorry about the confusion

.
  `files/packages/'
          THE USE OF THIS DIRECTORY IS NOW OBSOLETE.

Maybe you are using an older version of the fai guide. But you are
right we have to update the fai guide.
Well, I was also using a howto that I found via the howtos from the fai wiki. I was desperate for information so I went there, the link to it is:

http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/index.php/Using_customized_kernels_with_FAI

    > So it seems to me that kernel's are specified in two places:
    >    1.  /etc/fai/make-fai-nfsroot.conf
> 2. specify a kernel for PXE that lives /srv/tftp/fai/ (or whereever > your tftp stuff is housed I guess).
yep.

> So, my question, the boot kernel is always going to be vmlinuz install > or whatever you point to using fai-chboot right? In FAI 3.0, make-fai-nfsroot has now the option -V to specify the
kernel name. See man make-fai-nfsroot for more info. You can also
specify the kernel name with fai-chboot.

> From the comments in > the conf file, the kernel from make-fai-nfsroot.conf is the kernel that > will boot via nfs.
Correct.

> I'm a bit confused as to how this works. This is the normal way how diskless clients boots. Have a look at
nfsroot.txt in the kernel sources documentation.

> Anyhow, following that stuff.. what's the best way to configure fai to > install a specific kernel for class?
Build your own kernel using make-kpkg. This will make a Debian package
out of this kernel. The create a local Debian package repository, add
a line to the soures.lsit file and add the name of your kernel package
to the class in package_config.
Alright, so I'd make a local repository on my fai server, place that debian package inside of it, and add it to package_config. Does this handle updating menu.lst and the modules for me? (sorry if that's a noob question, previously I just wrote scripts to manipulate these files for me)

--

Carl J. Van Arsdall
[EMAIL PROTECTED]