On Thu, 2006-12-07 at 12:44 +1100, David Chinner wrote:
> Maybe we should be using EAs for this sort of thing instead of flags
> on the inode? If we keep adding inode flags for generic features
> then we are going to force more than just XFS into inode format
> changes eventually....

You do need to be judicious in what you add, but we got up to here
(well over 10 years) with 16 bits worth of space - increasing to 32
bits is going to last a fairly long time... I wouldn't switch to a
different scheme until that point (which is also the point where the
system calls are going to have to change anyway).

cheers.

--
Nathan