On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 10:18:23AM +0000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> This looks to me.  But given that this is generic code except for the
> get_block callback, shouldn't we put the guts into buffer.c and wire
> all filesystems up to use it? e.g.
>

> int block_page_mkwrite(struct vm_area_struct  *vma, struct page *page,
>               get_block_t get_block)
> {
>       struct inode *inode = vma->vm_file->f_path.dentry->d_inode;
>       unsigned long end;
>       int ret = 0;
>
>       if ((page->index + 1) << PAGE_CACHE_SHIFT > i_size_read(inode))
>               end = i_size_read(inode) & ~PAGE_CACHE_MASK;
>       else
>               end = PAGE_CACHE_SIZE;
>
>       lock_page(page);
>       ret = block_prepare_write(page, 0, end, block);
>       if (!ret)
>               ret = block_commit_write(page, 0, end);
>       unlock_page(page);
>       return ret;
> }
>
> and then in xfs and similar in other filesystems:
>
> STATIC int
> xfs_vm_page_mkwrite(
>       struct vm_area_struct   *vma,
>       struct page             *page)
> {
>       return block_page_mkwrite(vma, page, xfs_get_blocks);
> }

Yes, that can be done. block_page_mkwrite() would then go into
fs/buffer.c? My patch originally had a bunch of other stuff and
i wasn't sure that it could be done with generic code.

I'll send an updated patch in a little while.

> BTW, why is xfs_get_blocks not called xfs_get_block?

<shrug>

I presume because it replaced the xfs_get_block() function when the
block mapping callouts were modified to support mapping of multiple
blocks. Maybe you should ask Nathan that question. ;)

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner