On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, J. Bruce Fields wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 07:15:02AM -0500, Jeff Layton wrote:
> > On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 18:26:18 -0500

> > > OK, we have finally reproduced this problem here, and David's working on
> > > debugging.  It does indeed seem to only be reproduceable with client and
> > > server on the same machine.  Thanks for the report....
> > >
> > > --b.
> >
> > It might be worth testing this both with and without the patchset I
> > posted to linux-nfs recently to take care of the lockd hang. If
> > lockd is stuck trying to rpc_ping itself then it probably would hang
> > like this, wouldn't it?
>
> Of course!  Yes, that fits.
>
> --b.

        right on, jeff, good catch and thanks for directing my attention
to your patches.

        i applied them on top of 2.6.23.1 and tested them on a cluster
exporting GFS2 over NFS, using oleg's reproducer code.  your patches fix
that lockd hang.

        in a bit more detail, oleg's reproducer basically gets a
whole-file read lock, tests the lock, upgrades to a whole-file exclusive
lock, tests the lock, then unlocks.  the problem was that when getting
that exclusive lock things would hang.  this only happened when the client
and server were on the same machine, and i could reproduce it with NFS
exporting GFS2 but not NFS exporting EXT3.

        thanks,

        .