On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 01:57:23AM -0700, Hans Reiser wrote:
> "Roman V. Shaposhnick" wrote:
> :
> >
> >      1. In UNIX everything is a file. Thus we need just one type of a
> >         cache -- cache for files that can be cached.
>
> Directories and other metadata are not necessarily implemented as files.

  Directories are files, indeed. Read-only files. Sometimes with special
alignment rules for the reader, but they are files. I can say nothing
about other metadata, because I was speaking about generic usecase. And other
metadata is "other". But you are right sometimes it can fit into a different
model, but it is up to an implementation to chose one.

Thanks,
Roman.