On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 11:37:30AM -0400, Benjamin C.R. LaHaise wrote:
> The filesystems will need to be audited.  The mm subsystem will need a
> fair chunk of changes to understand that a single page is not necessarily
> mapped at a 0 offset from the beginning of a page cache page; we will
> still need to support PAGE_SIZE'd offsets of mappings if we want
> applications to continue to work.  Then the memory allocator will require
> tweaking to ensure that fragmentation doesn't pose any major problems.

iirc, Linus was quite in favour of supporting lower granularity mappings
(256 bytes?  512?) in order to support Windows binaries in WINE more
efficiently.  That was maybe a year ago so perhaps priorities have
changed.  You may want to bear this in mind while doing the work.

--
The Sex Pistols were revolutionaries.  The Bay City Rollers weren't.